Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473724 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2875 on: 10 December, 2021, 10:29:39 am »
I hadn't thoguht to have a sniff, barely registers over my base smell of blood and snotters.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2876 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:47:31 pm »
There is quite a distinct and for me unpleasant smell when opening the magazine. It seems to come from the pages not the cover. But it soon evaporates and is far from the worst of unpleasant smells. TBH it's far from unique in magazines either, lots of them have that smell, it must be a result of the printing process.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2877 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:48:29 pm »
. . . and while I'm ranting - why does Arrivee smell so awful? - I have a couple of other mag subscriptions and they don't smell.   [I know that printing is all now namby-pamby water-based inks rather than the proper stuff tey used when i started out working in the printing industry]

I complained about the smell when Kim showed me a copy of it earlier today. It's rank!

Audax in a nutshell.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2878 on: 10 December, 2021, 01:58:57 pm »
. . . and while I'm ranting - why does Arrivee smell so awful? - I have a couple of other mag subscriptions and they don't smell.   [I know that printing is all now namby-pamby water-based inks rather than the proper stuff tey used when i started out working in the printing industry]

I complained about the smell when Kim showed me a copy of it earlier today. It's rank!

Audax in a nutshell.

POTD (the two together)

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2879 on: 12 December, 2021, 08:54:44 pm »
Didn't notice any smells, but please leave the photos alone in the next issue?

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2880 on: 24 June, 2022, 04:56:49 pm »
The June issue should be landing now... Mine has not arrived but I know that some have.  Apologies for the delay but the editor was on holiday, so it went to press later than normal.

« Reply #2881 on: 24 June, 2022, 05:06:35 pm »
Got mine this morning thanks  :thumbsup: Will's Bristol Glasgow Bristol is a bucket list ride for me - but only as a tourist option: Every write up is brutal!

« Reply #2882 on: 24 June, 2022, 07:19:12 pm »
Mine arrived today too. Not the standard cycling magazine cover :D

« Reply #2883 on: 06 September, 2022, 11:56:08 am »
A sneak preview of Arrivée to whet your appetites. A view of Eskdalemuir on the Tuesday evening of LEL graces the cover with Bert from Belgium, a first time audax rider and finisher, crossing the bridge. Lots of LEL content plus articles from the world of long distance cycling. Not a member? Email: membership@audax.uk for a special offer of just £25.00 for membership up to December 2023.

Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2884 on: 07 September, 2022, 09:08:30 pm »
I appear to be regarding the fatbaw thing with deep suspicion in the bottom photie...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2885 on: 06 December, 2022, 04:07:55 pm »
Looks like a bumper issue!
New graphics.
An article by a woman named Jeffery has reinforced need to give pronouns (for which I've been too lazy so far.)

Notfromrugby

« Reply #2886 on: 06 December, 2022, 05:10:57 pm »
Looks like a bumper issue!
New graphics.
An article by a woman named Jeffery has reinforced need to give pronouns (for which I've been too lazy so far.)
At work everyone is now referred as they by default, I am one of the few that still use he and she… I almost make a point of it…  ;D

« Reply #2887 on: 11 December, 2022, 11:42:54 am »
Loving the cover photo. Very unusual.
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2888 on: 11 December, 2022, 01:54:32 pm »
Magazine smells again - must be something to do with the greater coverage of ink with the, to me, total over-use of graphics . . .

« Reply #2889 on: 11 December, 2022, 10:46:43 pm »
The quality of the photos is excellent and seems to improve with every issue.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2890 on: 12 December, 2022, 01:24:38 am »
Certainly HUGE progress since the grainy black and white pics in the A5 Arrivée of the 1990's…
Photography and peinting have come a long way!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2891 on: 12 December, 2022, 11:57:06 am »
I expect it will arrive in due course with several more days post all at once at some time in the next month or so.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2892 on: 12 December, 2022, 12:15:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure Wowbagger is not in AUK, so I really hope one of the ACME boys shows him the photo on p6.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2893 on: 31 December, 2022, 11:27:37 am »
I expect it will arrive in due course with several more days post all at once at some time in the next month or so.
My kind and cheerful postman popped mine through to flap today (NYE).
Editorial theme: bicycle theft and its discouragement.
What does Ged mean by a "axle pin" (remove from front wheel)? Is this a 'thru axle' thingy? Or a QR skewer? I wonder what proportion of AudaxUK membership ride bikes with thru axles, btw?
The trouble with disabling "hacks" is those of us of a forgetting tendency fall foul of eg pulling the chain off the ring.
Apparently "e-bikes are high-value items . . .[and] easily stolen".

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2894 on: 09 March, 2023, 02:54:18 pm »
And the first issue of 2023 is out! If you don't get yours in the next few days (value of few depending on how good your postal service is usually) then let me know via membership@audax.uk

« Reply #2895 on: 09 March, 2023, 07:55:39 pm »
Some really  nice  well written articles in this edition, 'no cyclist is an island'  by  James Bradbury was  especially thought provoking.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2896 on: 09 March, 2023, 08:36:40 pm »
Mine has arrived but I've not looked yet.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2897 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:17:47 pm »
I can smell mine this time.

« Reply #2898 on: 09 March, 2023, 09:31:21 pm »
I can smell mine this time.

Does it smell of audax ?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small