Author Topic: Shenstone Audaxes - Role Call  (Read 7761 times)

chris

• (aka chris)
Shenstone Audaxes - Role Call
« on: 04 April, 2008, 10:19:27 pm »
Just filled in the entry form for the 200km Castleton Classic. Anyone else doing it?

gordon taylor

Re: Shenstone Audaxes - Role Call
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2008, 06:36:28 am »
I've bottled the 200 and the 160 and have now entered the 100.
My audax confidence is at a low ebb,

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 05 April, 2008, 09:03:49 am »
Yep - just the 100 for me, again  .... not sure which bike, but I'll be wearing the MacRide jersey - www.macride.org.uk  (now open for online entries)

Rob

Chris N

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2008, 03:34:32 pm »
200 for me.

alan

« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2008, 07:39:04 pm »

Same here,see you there

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2008, 08:18:29 pm »
160k event for me.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

gordon taylor

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2008, 06:57:16 am »
I'll be in Scotland for a funeral on Thursday. We might stay up there for a day or two, so I might not be at this audax. Have fun, chums!

« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2008, 03:17:39 pm »
I'll be on the 200, on the Brompton, as usual.

Hello to yet another cycling forum, by the way. I go on holiday for two weeks, and you're all somewhere else ::-)

Duncan

Si

« Reply #8 on: 13 April, 2008, 04:54:54 pm »

Same here,see you there

Thirded, but I might bottle the 100km too - have DNSed the HONC today due to a git of a cold (snot monster I am) that started on Friday.  Shenstone will be my 5th organised ride of the year, and with any luck it might actually be the first one I make it too rather than being ill  ???

« Reply #9 on: 13 April, 2008, 07:44:14 pm »
I'll be working the control at Shenstone so won't be riding... what a pity as it is a breathtakingly beautiful ride.  At times you feel as though you're on top of the world.  All three rides are great but for the best scenic beauty the Castleton or the Darbyshire Dales are superb.

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:18:08 pm »
And today's forgotten item is: the directions and route sheet.

Can somebody remind me where I need to go in Shenstone? Is it hard to find?

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:20:29 pm »
And today's forgotten item is: the directions and route sheet.

Can somebody remind me where I need to go in Shenstone? Is it hard to find?

Richard Cooper Hall. You can't miss it - Shenstone is a small place and there will be loads of bikes outside.

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:27:52 pm »
Thanks Chris! I'm guessing I'll be able to get hold of another route sheet there - feeling rather silly though! Though not as silly as at the Marlborough Connection where I set off without my brevet card. There is still time to do that as well, I suppose...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2008, 03:29:18 pm »
Myself and GillP will be there for the 100, coming along with Alan, our host for this evening. Fingers crossed on the weather front.

gordon taylor

« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2008, 04:01:56 pm »
I'm back, and as ready as I'll ever be for the 100.
See y'all tomorrow.

alan

« Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2008, 04:14:51 pm »
See y'all tomorrow.

:thumbsup:  see you in'morning

GillP

« Reply #16 on: 19 April, 2008, 04:29:15 pm »
See y'all tomorrow.

:thumbsup:  see you in'morning

Should we all wear a red carnation :D

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #17 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:24:16 pm »
I'm having to give it a miss. I've had a cold all week, and it's just not going away. I wouldn't normally worry too much about it, I'd just ride and be at 50% for the next few days, but I'm starting a new job next week, and it might not make the right impression if I turn up unfit to work.

« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2008, 12:58:57 am »
Just got in at 00.55 a.m. after an evening in Brum. Am NOT looking forward  to getting up at 6.00 a.m. :(

See you all in a few hours ;D
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

gordon taylor

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2008, 06:14:38 pm »
That was great, although the weather was "sub-optimal." I did the 100, and finished at 3.15, thanks to a fast run to Shenstone from Rosliston - in the pleasant company of someone called Ray - the guy who wore his yellow waterproof trousers all day.

It was a good route, with very little main road mileage. However, that blooming muddy lane somewhere that resembled a roller coaster had me off and walking three times. I feel great tonight and hope that everyone else got back safe after a pleasant day out.

PS: I parked my car in Lichfield town centre to avoid the Shenstone parking maelstrom. That worked too. <smug>

Chris N

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2008, 10:23:13 pm »
Urgh.  Sounds like you had a good run, Gordy.  I saw you as you were riding to the start - I was at the back of the 200km group that passed you.  By the time I worked out who you were it was too late to say hi.  Saw the Alan wagon on the A51 in Lichfield too.

The 200 wasn't quite as much fun - nice tailwind over to the start and a fairly pleasant first 55km to Ipstones were the best bits.  From there it was climbing (into a headwind), riding along Axe Edge with a 30mph crosswind, then riding along the A53 (into a headwind towards Buxton) with only a few metres visibility.  A draggy climb along the A6 and A623 through Dove Holes (Shite Holes, more like) to Sparrowpit and then a misty slog up to the top of Winnats.  The control - the Woodbine Cafe - in Hope was cracking though.  Then back onto more familiar roads for a mostly tailwind assisted run back to Ashbourne and the last control (where the 160km riders had eaten most of the cake) and then a flat blat back into Shenstone.  Castleton Classic isn't a very good name for this ride - maybe on a sunny, calm day with little traffic it would be, but next year I'll stick to the 160.

Still, 14 1/2 hours for 270 hilly-ish km with a lot of headwind - all good training. :thumbsup:

alan

« Reply #21 on: 20 April, 2008, 11:19:44 pm »
  Saw the Alan wagon on the A51 in Lichfield too.

Belated greetings Chris.
It's very likely that you will need to recognise a different Alan wagon after next weekend.The new(to me) vehicle will not have a "personalised "registration

« Reply #22 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:24:41 pm »
Hello everyone.  I was beginning to wonder where everyone had gone, so is good to find you all again.

Had entered this event (200) but went down with the Flu a few days before, so stayed in bed listening to the rain outside.

Well done to everyone that got round though and hopefully I will try again next year.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: 21 April, 2008, 06:19:33 pm »
Well despite the weather being a tad grey, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The two cafe stops and the general organization were excellent, many thanks to everyone involved. The big dipper section that Gordy referred to was 'interesting' to say the least. As the drops, and therefor the speed, got greater the road conditions got worse making for a few heart stopping moments, followed immediately by heart busting climbs. Great fun.  ;D

I think best beginner medal should go to a lady that I chatted to at the second cafe stop. It was her first audax and her previous longest ride was 30 miles. So many congrats to you, whoever you were.

« Reply #24 on: 21 April, 2008, 07:55:45 pm »
That was great, although the weather was "sub-optimal." I did the 100, and finished at 3.15, thanks to a fast run to Shenstone from Rosliston - in the pleasant company of someone called Ray - the guy who wore his yellow waterproof trousers all day.

It was a good route, with very little main road mileage. However, that blooming muddy lane somewhere that resembled a roller coaster had me off and walking three times. I feel great tonight and hope that everyone else got back safe after a pleasant day out.

PS: I parked my car in Lichfield town centre to avoid the Shenstone parking maelstrom. That worked too. <smug>

I suspect that you are referring to "Scotch Hills". Reliant cars used to test clutches up and down there at one time.