Author Topic: Dutch brevets in 2019  (Read 31281 times)

Re: Dutch brevets in 2019
« Reply #175 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:10:48 pm »
Well I must be made of sugar then  :)

[...]

I was going to say "probably some Germans", but as an Englishman you should be ashamed of yourself :D

« Reply #176 on: 08 September, 2019, 08:29:44 pm »
I come from Manchester... We know all about rain  ;D

But actually it's  the Dutch and their weather apps who have turned me into a fair weather cyclist. :facepalm:. I have mud guards... Never needed them!
Regards,

Alan

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #177 on: 19 September, 2019, 05:04:04 pm »
Anyone else riding Saturday?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #178 on: 19 September, 2019, 05:27:37 pm »
Obviously I am ;)  (for those not in the know: start/finish is in my home town and slugbait is organising) Weather forecast is is favourable: dry, mild temperatures,  head winds on the way out but only force 3 and stable so tailwind back.

« Reply #179 on: 19 September, 2019, 05:38:07 pm »
Obviously I am ;)  (for those not in the know: start/finish is in my home town and slugbait is organising) Weather forecast is is favourable: dry, mild temperatures,  head winds on the way out but only force 3 and stable so tailwind back.

The weather couldn't be more favorable (SE is the perfect wind direction), # of entrants is looking good.

When we did the route check a couple of weeks ago, it was during the final heatwave of the summer. The last 50k were horrible: 31 degrees, no shade at all, strong headwind. I could almost see my sweat evaporating from my skin. We had a couple of extra stops just to fill our bidons in a futile attempt to stay hydrated.

@QG: Since my talk at the start is going to be in Dutch. There are roadworks 20 meters from the start: I will ask everyone to walk along the sidewalk and to watch out when they rejoin the street. There are also two other obstructions in the final 1k, but you can easily get around this. The city of Groningen is in the middle of a big sewer maintenance project, so every week another street is temporarily less accessible.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #180 on: 21 September, 2019, 09:30:37 pm »

*THAT*

was awesome!

Thank you.

My fastest 200 to date, finished in 9:35:01. I don't understand it.

Thank you for such a nice route, and the weather makes up for what you ordered for the 300 a month ago :p

J
--

« Reply #181 on: 22 September, 2019, 08:20:51 am »

Thank you for such a nice route, and the weather makes up for what you ordered for the 300 a month ago :p

Good to hear that you appreciated the route and the weather was indeed perfect. Unfortunately, I only had time to cycle to the first control and back (would love to have cycled longer in yesterday's conditions). My guess was that under these circumstances most riders would be fast, but didn't think the first rider would be back in just 6:46.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #182 on: 02 October, 2019, 11:35:01 pm »

Anyone else planing to do the Eindhoven ride on Saturday?

Am looking forward to exploring more of Brabant. I should be able to tick off 12 new Gemente for the long term challenge, which suggests a lot of it is gonna be new to me!

J
--

« Reply #183 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:13:33 am »

Am looking forward to exploring more of Brabant. I should be able to tick off 12 new Gemente for the long term challenge, which suggests a lot of it is gonna be new to me!

I'm there, but only 7 new municipalities (or "gemeente", note spelling) for me. Hopefully this will dispel my belief that Brabant is the worst Dutch province for cycling.

« Reply #184 on: 03 October, 2019, 10:22:06 am »

I'm there, but only 7 new municipalities (or "gemeente", note spelling) for me. Hopefully this will dispel my belief that Brabant is the worst Dutch province for cycling.

I am not going, but as I live there I can assure you that it's not the worst province for cycling. How anyone gets any pleasure out of cycling anywhere near the Randstad beats me. That said places like Drenthe, Overijssel, Gelderland are miles better.

The route for Saturday has a few nice parts but the last 60km could be better, in fact it's partly North Limburg, you also first have to get out of Eindhoven with it's many traffic lights. Good luck, weather might just work out too!
Regards,

Alan

Zed43

« Reply #185 on: 03 October, 2019, 03:56:55 pm »
Not riding this weekend, but if you take the train from Utrecht that arrives at 8:28 in Eindhoven you can admire my N+1  ;)

« Reply #186 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:28:33 pm »

I am not going, but as I live there I can assure you that it's not the worst province for cycling. How anyone gets any pleasure out of cycling anywhere near the Randstad beats me. That said places like Drenthe, Overijssel, Gelderland are miles better.

I'm sure that I've never seen the best of Brabant. Hopefully that will happen on Saturday. There is a lot of good stuff near the Randstad (the dunes, the hilly area east of Utrecht, I actually like the old polders from time to time), but yeah Drenthe, Overijssel and Gelderland are miles better.

Not riding this weekend, but if you take the train from Utrecht that arrives at 8:28 in Eindhoven you can admire my N+1  ;)

That's a bit cryptic. You're going to Eindhoven, but not riding? Anyway, "N+1" is a new bike or is your PBP-bike still the most recent acquisition?

Zed43

« Reply #187 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:41:30 pm »
Going to Eindhoven, but not riding this brevet, correct. And the N+1 is not the PBP bike. Further teasing: it's a classic, it's steel and it travels for free on our trains. And if I were mad enough to PBP on it I would DNF for sure  ;D

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #188 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:55:37 pm »
Going to Eindhoven, but not riding this brevet, correct. And the N+1 is not the PBP bike. Further teasing: it's a classic, it's steel and it travels for free on our trains. And if I were mad enough to PBP on it I would DNF for sure  ;D

You bought a Brompton? Or a Moulton?

I'll be on that train. Which bike space will you be using?

J
--

« Reply #189 on: 03 October, 2019, 06:58:39 pm »

Oh yeah, you mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't realize you were serious 'bout it ;) Alas, I'm not on the 8:28, staying at a hotel in Best.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #190 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:10:14 pm »

Have I just been spoilt by the previous set of brevets going up on the homologation page really fast, or is the homologation data for the last two events being really slow?

J
--

« Reply #191 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »

Have I just been spoilt by the previous set of brevets going up on the homologation page really fast, or is the homologation data for the last two events being really slow?

Our ACP representative is on holiday, hence the delay.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #192 on: 03 October, 2019, 07:16:21 pm »
Our ACP representative is on holiday, hence the delay.

Ahah!

I'll stop hitting refresh on the page then.

J
--

« Reply #193 on: 04 October, 2019, 08:15:41 am »

I will be doing this one. According to Buienradar, the weather will be ok, no rain and not a lot wind.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #194 on: 04 October, 2019, 05:24:34 pm »
I will be doing this one. According to Buienradar, the weather will be ok, no rain and not a lot wind.

Come say hi, I'll be the fat one with the weird bike with even weirder handlebars, and a strange accent...

I've just uploaded my route to my wahoo. I've edited it to add a tiny 2km dog leg to to pick up another gemeente.

It's about half way between America and the finish.

Unless I some how magically find a wheel to hang on to (unlikely), I'm expecting to be lantern rouge again. My toe isn't fully healed, so I'm basically just hoping to survive.

See you all in Einhoven.

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #195 on: 05 October, 2019, 06:03:19 am »

I'm on This train. At the front most bike space (it's a 4 car VIRM).

J
--

« Reply #196 on: 05 October, 2019, 03:01:22 pm »
Just been out for a few hours, there are serious headwinds out there today. I guess cp2 to cp3 will be testing for those out on their own
Regards,

Alan

« Reply #197 on: 05 October, 2019, 07:30:21 pm »
Just been out for a few hours, there are serious headwinds out there today. I guess cp2 to cp3 will be testing for those out on their own

You're not wrong. I rode that entire section on my own and was not the happiest cyclist when I got to cp3.

« Reply #198 on: 06 October, 2019, 12:09:43 pm »

Which wind? I thought the wind was quite benign, but I had a big guy I could hide behind from time to time.

« Reply #199 on: 06 October, 2019, 01:38:14 pm »
By Groningen standards probably not much, two friends from my local club took part and they also found cp2 to cp3 challenging, we don't get much wind down here  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Alan