Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628340 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #3950 on: 03 October, 2013, 10:25:03 am »
There is no coffee in the office.  This is not conducive to my productivity.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3951 on: 03 October, 2013, 11:07:31 am »
dear snarky tutor,

Do kindly fuck off.  You weren't around all summer, so I wasn't able to liaise with you then your colleagues refused to liaise bouncing it to you.  Now I'm backlogged to buggery.  Welcome to start of term! I can only do one thing at a time.

I have sugar! And tea!

« Reply #3952 on: 03 October, 2013, 01:40:09 pm »
Self: when ordering t shirts online, ensure that you order the right size. Large isn't large enough you dimwit!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3953 on: 03 October, 2013, 02:41:12 pm »
Oh, where are my spectacles?

Without my specs on, I can't see to find my specs.

If you had your false teeth and your hearing aid, you could ask if anyone had seen them...   ;D

barakta

« Reply #3954 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »
^^^ I get that joke all the time... See what I have to live with! :-*

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3955 on: 03 October, 2013, 11:18:33 pm »
To add to my growing list of concurrent injuries and illnesses, I tripped on the stairs.  Thankfully for my still-fragile shoulder, I didn't fall far, but I landed with my weight on a pointed toe.  I thought it was broken, but it ain't swollen, just bloody painful.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3956 on: 04 October, 2013, 12:48:07 am »
Prompted by recent events, I fancied reading a bit more from Ralph Miliband.

How many works by this leading thinker do you imagine are available for download from Amazon?

Yeah.  Not a one.  We're losing a whole lot by abandoning physical books so quickly.
Getting there...

« Reply #3957 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:17:28 am »

This is a bit frustrating.  I keep tripping over things, and I've crawled over every carpet in the house feeling for them, and I still can't find them.

Huh.
I think this is why I wear contacts. Soon enough there'll be a time when I haven't a handy child to ask to look for them. They already balk at doing this at 6am when I'm running late for work, can't think why.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3958 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:21:45 am »

How many works by this leading thinker do you imagine are available for download from Amazon?

Yeah.  Not a one.  We're losing a whole lot by abandoning physical books so quickly.

About as many as are available in my local bricks and mortar bookshop then.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #3959 on: 04 October, 2013, 01:15:49 pm »
Got all togged up for a decent ride today, did 5 km before the rain came down. "Bugger this" and headed home. Detogged, showered, rain stopped. Streets dry now & sun shining.

Don't mind rain that much, don't like cleaning bike.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3960 on: 04 October, 2013, 03:17:49 pm »

Where you could ask them to order you one in.
Getting there...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3961 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:47:20 pm »

This is a bit frustrating.  I keep tripping over things, and I've crawled over every carpet in the house feeling for them, and I still can't find them.

Huh.
I think this is why I wear contacts. Soon enough there'll be a time when I haven't a handy child to ask to look for them. They already balk at doing this at 6am when I'm running late for work, can't think why.

I have loads of old prescription specs lying around the house in various places; whilst I can't see *perfectly* with these, I can see well enough for most things, including finding lost specs.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3962 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:56:36 pm »

I have loads of old prescription specs lying around the house in various places; whilst I can't see *perfectly* with these, I can see well enough for most things, including finding lost specs.

Yup.  That's my strategy too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3963 on: 04 October, 2013, 10:59:49 pm »
I am sufficiently poorly sighted that the only time my specs come off my face are when I go to bed and when I get in the shower. This makes them not really loseable .....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3964 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:05:29 pm »
I am sufficiently poorly sighted that the only time my specs come off my face are when I go to bed and when I get in the shower. This makes them not really loseable .....

I wear my specs almost all the time but resort to using spares if I decide not to return to bed after a bathroom visit.

« Reply #3965 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »

Where you could ask them to order you one in.
Amazon must be reading this thread.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Ralph%20Miliband&search-alias=books-uk&sort=relevancerank

I doubt that I'd find that many in any local bookshop - especially not the French language edition.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3966 on: 08 October, 2013, 08:38:21 am »
I am starting reduce my idiocy from Weapons Grade to Simply Dangerous.

I have a hearing aid.

It takes batteries.

These batteries only last a finite time (about 10 days from first use to kaput, in my case).

I carry spares with me at all times (due to having the battery konk out on bike rides, at the cinema etc etc, I have learnt that lesson, well almost, see below)

It is no use leaving those spares at the digs, when I have cycled in, is it? My hearing aid started beeping at me about 7 miles into a 9 mile commute, too late to go back :( GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3967 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:28:53 am »
Hearing aid batteries are like Ventolin inhalers.  Ideally you keep spares in all sorts of random places in order to avoid these sort of problems. In reality it means that they end up everywhere except where you were relying on yourself to have left one. I'm suspicious this effect actually violates the second law of thermodynamics.

tiermat

« Reply #3968 on: 08 October, 2013, 09:56:15 am »
Hearing aid batteries are like Ventolin inhalers.  Ideally you keep spares in all sorts of random places in order to avoid these sort of problems. In reality it means that they end up everywhere except where you were relying on yourself to have left one. I'm suspicious this effect actually violates the second law of thermodynamics.

And like inhalers, when you find them, they are either out of date or empty...

I have suspicion that the Tesco across the road, despite have a pharmacy, don't sell ZA13s, which means I will have a hairy commute back before I can get my hands on more batteries :(

It was much easier at the last place, as my co-worker also had a hearing aid that took ZA13s, so we had a shared stockpile in the office.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

barakta

« Reply #3969 on: 08 October, 2013, 11:06:04 am »
Tiermat, I hear you (even if you can't hear me).  My 2011-new hearing aid doesn't give me warning of pending fail, it just BEEPS and cuts out at me when it's had enough. Can't even do the old analogue cheat of turning the volume down to use less power.

Shoving what batteries you have in the fridge for a bit might rejuvenate them for a while, but it won't get you a whole day's worth DAHIKT...

Add radio aids and there's even more failure modes "wrong/missing wires" "no batteries" "config complexity == user error"...

And for my grumble I'd like my fecking body to stop inventing new fails, today's gem was my right hip slipping out of joint subluxing every 5-6 steps! The hip in general is on the "See GP TODO" but I can't do that until I've sorted the hand/arm as I don't have enough capacity to manage two sets of physio at once...

tiermat

« Reply #3970 on: 08 October, 2013, 12:16:56 pm »
UPDATE.

I now have batteries, I was wrong about Tesco, they did have them, just not at the Pharmacy (silly me for thinking logically and actually asking the useless fucking idiot behind the counter at the Pharmacy).

I found them with the rest of the batteries, shows I wasn't thinking like Mr Tesco.  They were reduced, too, to £1/pack of 6, so I bought every pack they had (5).  I will now restock my stashes.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3971 on: 08 October, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »
:thumbsup:
Getting there...

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3972 on: 08 October, 2013, 02:56:24 pm »
<tongueincheek>My hearing aid battery went flat this morning, so I popped in to Tesco where they order the batteries in specially for me, only to be told that some git had cleared the shelf. </tongueincheek> ;)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

« Reply #3973 on: 08 October, 2013, 03:01:01 pm »
<tongueincheek>My hearing aid battery went flat this morning, so I popped in to Tesco where they order the batteries in specially for me, only to be told that some git had cleared the shelf. </tongueincheek> ;)

;D

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3974 on: 08 October, 2013, 05:54:08 pm »
Is it not time that hearing aids came with a rechargeable mini usb port so you could charge at your PC like every other gadget?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.