Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628131 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14275 on: 03 March, 2022, 01:11:54 pm »
You know what's worse than waking up at 5am? It's waking up at 5am and immediately stepping with besocked feet onto a sodden bath mat because there's water coming through the bathroom ceiling!

You sleep in the bath?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14276 on: 03 March, 2022, 01:59:52 pm »
Bloody stupid basin design. It's curved so I can't use the Fugi tool. MkI pinkie it is then.
2022-03-03_01-55-42 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #14277 on: 03 March, 2022, 03:08:22 pm »
Won't that make water pool between the basin and the wall?!  :o :facepalm:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14278 on: 03 March, 2022, 04:02:29 pm »
Stupid, isn't it?

« Reply #14279 on: 03 March, 2022, 04:14:24 pm »
You know what's worse than waking up at 5am? It's waking up at 5am and immediately stepping with besocked feet onto a sodden bath mat because there's water coming through the bathroom ceiling!

You sleep in the bath?
Ok almost immediately. I wasn't completely awake at any rate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14280 on: 03 March, 2022, 04:27:51 pm »
I'm having a bad electricity day.  First this.  Now I discover (partway through hoovering, naturally) the hoover cable has an intermittent break just short of the plug strain-relief.  I've lopped off the moulded plug and a couple of inches of cable and will fit a new one when barakta gets off her video call and I can go rummaging in the box of Mains Electrical Stuff That Might Come In Useful™ (which lives beside her desk) for a replacement.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14281 on: 03 March, 2022, 05:12:56 pm »
I think moulded on/in plugs are the work of STAN, but then I'm very old and not that open to new ideas these days.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14282 on: 03 March, 2022, 05:41:05 pm »
I think moulded plugs do solve the problem of 90% of people being idiots who can't be trusted to wire a plug safely.  But they're occasionally a pain, and go in the bin.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14283 on: 03 March, 2022, 07:53:52 pm »
I also keep a box of useful electrical bits that I may never needTM that Mrs ED always mocks until they come in handy.  Plugs are included.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #14284 on: 03 March, 2022, 09:04:31 pm »
I never mock Kim's keeping things for "might come in handy" cos she regularly uses them, handily.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14285 on: 03 March, 2022, 09:07:26 pm »
I also keep a box of useful electrical bits that I may never needTM that Mrs ED always mocks until they come in handy.  Plugs are included.

I too have many boxes of useful bits of many varieties of many things that may come in useful sometime* . . . Mrs robgul's attitude is much the same until I answer in the positive to the "Do you have  . . . ?" questions.

*in my workshop I have a small bin (about 10" x 10") marked "To sort" in which all odd bits/screws/fixings/nuts/bolts/whatever get stored until such time as rake through to use something.  Works for me.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14286 on: 03 March, 2022, 09:12:21 pm »
In addition to the random screws jar (doesn't everyone have one of those?) my mum used to have a pot noodle pot that operated as a kind of lost-and-found pingfuckits exchange, which is entirely sensible when you have a household of more than two, especially if it includes children of an age where toys with critical plastic losables are a stable.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14287 on: 03 March, 2022, 10:18:52 pm »
My organisational skills are such that although i KNOW I’ve got one of those, I can rarely find it under duress and thus end up making a visit to one of the many local large sheds hereabout. I’ll then find said item while I’m looking for another IKIGOOT items, but rather than put it somewhere sensible* I resolve to remember where that is. And promptly forget.

*This is a euphemism for getting my shit organised.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #14288 on: 04 March, 2022, 11:12:38 am »
Being disorganised is when serendipity becomes finding what you are looking for.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14289 on: 04 March, 2022, 11:30:55 am »
I took the bus today for the first time since the event cos the Future Classic TM was going into the garage. Now that we've moved the garage is the wrong side of town so it's a 2 bus job (I would have taken the bike but the forecast was for pishing rain).
Anyway, my grumble. Instead of the buses being every 10mins they're now every half an hour. Of course I had just missed one both times...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14290 on: 04 March, 2022, 11:49:54 am »
It's important to use a bus occasionally to remind yourself why bicycles are so good.

TheLurker

« Reply #14291 on: 04 March, 2022, 12:59:40 pm »
I have just discovered that my preferred sewing shop in Cirencester (aeromodelling sundries, for the supply of) is closing in less than 3 weeks because the owner is retiring and hasn't been able to sell it on, despite trying to do so for 4 years.  Anyone suggesting recourse to the Bay of Thieves and, or BigRiver will be summarily executed.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #14292 on: 04 March, 2022, 03:31:03 pm »
Wednesday:  Place order with BigRiverCo for item I'm surprised & slightly annoyed I don't have in stock.  Add three other items to make it a worthwhile order.  Guaranteed delivery next day.
Thursday:  These items will arrive tomorrow. knuts.
Friday:  Two parcels arrive containing the items I'm in no rush for.  The one I need - arriving tomorrow.  Dubbl knuts.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #14293 on: 04 March, 2022, 06:54:40 pm »
I have just discovered that my preferred sewing shop in Cirencester (aeromodelling sundries, for the supply of) is closing in less than 3 weeks because the owner is retiring and hasn't been able to sell it on, despite trying to do so for 4 years.  Anyone suggesting recourse to the Bay of Thieves and, or BigRiver will be summarily executed.

The obvious solution is to take over the shop.  ;D
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14294 on: 04 March, 2022, 07:01:42 pm »
and hold the owner hostage until he agrees to unretire?  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14295 on: 05 March, 2022, 01:53:25 am »
Hang on.

Sewing shop, aeromodelling sundries, for the supply of? Now, granted, I don't know a right lot about aeromodelling, but the usefulness thereto of a sewing shop is all but beyond me.

TheLurker

« Reply #14296 on: 05 March, 2022, 07:59:12 am »
In no particular order. 

- Pins, various, esp. silk pins.  Securing balsa frames while building.
- Beads, glass/plastic.  Prop. thrust bearings.
- Shirring elastic.  Rigging.  Biplanes.   
- Hooks & eyes.  Mounting hooks / simple hinges for dethermaliser and other set ups.
- Good quality needles (not the made of cheese crap you get in supermarkets) for threading rigging and other piercing tasks.
- Good quality scissors.  Most cutting is done with scalpels or razor blades, but there are times when only scissors will do and scissors that have and keep a good edge are a godsend.
- Sewing thread in various diameters for other odds & sods.  E.g. button thread wrapped around dowelling is a remarkably effective way of suggesting cylinder fins on radial motors for small models where a detailed scale motor would be too heavy or otherwise impractical.
- Wool.  Absolutely priceless when prototyping a keel build model to check the line of stringers in the formers.

I don't need to replace many of these bits often, but when I do...

ian

« Reply #14297 on: 05 March, 2022, 05:53:59 pm »
Some weeks back I grumbled to the local council about a dropped kerb on my way to the park. I say dropped kerb, but it's a bit special. A house has done the usual, and carved a parking space out of their garden. My thoughts on converting gardens to car parks is well-known, and it doesn't seem a battle I'm going to win, so hey-ho. But in this case, the front garden is a good metre or more above the road, which is about two metres away. Previously there was a steep grass verb separating the pavement from the road.

Basically:

garden ---\
                 \
                  \---road

So they took out the verge and replaced it with a steep bit of tarmac that flattens off for the pavement section. I'd say the gradient is about 30% if not more. I'm not sure how anyone thought that was a good idea, there's clearly no way anyone can get a car over it without it bottoming out, and judging from the scratches on the tarmac someone tried just once.

The parking space isn't big enough for a modern car, so the flat bit of pavement would be blocked if someone could get a car up there. Anyone who has poor vision or is in a wheelchair and makes a misjudgement will basically have a steep and nasty fall into the roadway. It's black tarmac, there's no distinction between flat and slope, no tactile edging, and if it ever gets icy, which black tarmac will, it's going to be lethal.

I can't believe everyone looked at this and didn't see the problem. Anyway, chatting with the local councillor earlier and mentioning the verve in which my complaint is being followed up on, it seems that the owners of the house in question and in dispute with the council for putting in an unusable 'dropped kerb', the council are in dispute with their contractor, etc. It's like a carnival of stupid from everyone involved. It's 2022, councils shouldn't even be facilitating this shit at the best of times, but this is criminally bad.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14298 on: 05 March, 2022, 06:57:31 pm »
This post would be enhanced by pictures

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14299 on: 06 March, 2022, 09:15:24 am »
I have a trip organised for tomorrow which will undoubtedly be the highlight of my Monday this week - a booking for the local recycling centre to get rid of quite a bit of rubble and remains of wood from recycled projects.   

Warwickshire CC now has a timed booking system - brilliant!   It's run as a "ticket" with EventBrite . . .  OK that's a cheap and cheerful system - BUT do I really need two reminder emails from EventBrite and one from WCC about my "upcoming event"???  (I have 24 hours to go - should I expect more?)

. . . and I'm then expecting a plethora of crap emails from EventBrite as I'm now in their system . . .    (I do have the email address I used seeded so can block them, but that's not the point)

I wonder if I'l get a happy sheet email from TrustPilot to rate my tip exprience?