Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1628270 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16475 on: 10 August, 2023, 02:04:43 am »
Virgin flat-out refused to let me forward various spammy e-mails from Lt. Col.Larrington (retd.)’s account to their dedicated reporting address because the messages being forwarded contained spam-like content  :facepalm:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16476 on: 10 August, 2023, 12:43:18 pm »
Buggeration!

A couple of months ago I decided to enrol on an OU Photography Course which starts in October. I've had a couple of nice friendly emails telling me stuff, like logging into "Studenthome" to start exploring, but when I try it tells me that my account resembles another account and won't let me in. It crossed my mind this morning that October is approaching faster than I would like, so I need to get this sorted out. So I spent a long time on hold, spoke to a pleasant sounding woman for a while, she made an attempt to put me through to someone technical, I was on hold for quite a bit longer, then it sounded as though someone was about to answer and I was cut off.

Is this what happens when you phone at lunch time?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16477 on: 10 August, 2023, 01:49:07 pm »
Meanwhile, Leroy Merlin appear to have a cunning ploy to stop you getting reimbursed when they fail to deliver.  You use their Contact page to complain about something and they send you an email asking for the order number, which you already filled in on the Contact page. You reply to the email, giving the order number, and receive an automatic reply telling you they can't accept email so kindly use the included link to go to the contact page and do it properly, dumbo.  You go to the contact page and can find sweet FA that would let you continue the conversation, so you fill the form out for the 42nd time and off we go on the carousel once more.

They've had my money since 1st July and I haven't been able to have a coherent dialogue with the cunning bastards yet. IHTFG.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #16478 on: 10 August, 2023, 06:25:56 pm »
Quote from: T42
They've had my money since 1st July and I haven't been able to have a coherent dialogue with the cunning bastards yet. IHTFG.
Registered letter (or Fr. equiv.) to Head Orifice threatening them with the Bailiffs (or Fr. equiv.) if they don't cough up?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16479 on: 10 August, 2023, 08:30:21 pm »
Should’ve trusted my instincts.  One 750 ml time of wood painty-stuff has proven sufficient to give all surfaces of the replacement front door three coats.  That's £18 down the dunny chiz.  And I can’t take it back for a refund coz the tin has a socking great dent in it after this afternoon's incident of divvery (qv).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16480 on: 10 August, 2023, 09:13:01 pm »
Tell them you're taking it back for a refund cos it's got a dent in it?

(Back when I worked at the Coop people used to deliberately pick up damaged goods off the shelf, pay, and then immediately go to customer services cos it was refund AND replacement on food or some such.)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16481 on: 10 August, 2023, 09:57:23 pm »
I think I'll just bung an extra coat or two on the outside.  Anything to put off moving the bloody thing from the kitchen to the door 'ole and trying to install it, coz it weighs more than any two bikes in the Fleet.

Also I'd have to find the receipt, which has probably been recycled already with it being BIIINNNSSS Day.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16482 on: 11 August, 2023, 10:57:32 am »
I think I'll just bung an extra coat or two on the outside.  Anything to put off moving the bloody thing from the kitchen to the door 'ole and trying to install it, coz it weighs more than any two bikes in the Fleet.

Cue Ben Aaronovitch?

ian

« Reply #16483 on: 11 August, 2023, 12:42:47 pm »
Have the day off. Go for a swim, think I. Pool has different ideas since they have 'staffing issues' meaning they close today at 6pm. OK, I can go this afternoon, right. No, because there isn't one. There isn't any session. Which they don't say in the notice they, of course, don't put on their website, oh no, but Facebook. Astoundingly though, they did at least update the timetable page, which is an improvement on previous and saved me clambering up 98-steps of hill to find out that there's no session. Small mercies. A bit shit though, so I've wasted five minutes in a pointless grink.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16484 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:07:06 pm »

And bang!  Email this morning: we've reimbursed you!  Only 6 weeks it took them.  :demon: :demon: :demon:

ian

« Reply #16485 on: 11 August, 2023, 01:17:39 pm »
Grink semi-successful as they're opening the pool 3-4 pm, and as I'm hopefully the only person that knows about this, it's all mine. I might wee.

« Reply #16486 on: 12 August, 2023, 03:29:33 pm »
And now
1) I have all the symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection, plus a couple of (mild) extras
&
2) I've tested positive for covid-19. Twice. So it's probably true.

I've been given antibiotics for the URTI & told to isolate, keep warm & hydrated, & rest. And phone up if i get worse.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #16487 on: 14 August, 2023, 06:43:40 am »
My greyhound is a poor excuse for a dog so got up at usual time to talk him for a walk pre work. He was as excited as ever. But alas its rained overnight so he decided against a walk

As was super organised last night had made my lunch so got nothing to do before work. Could have had longer in bed (I do have lots of things to do but all rather noisy so not suitable for pre 7am)

« Reply #16488 on: 15 August, 2023, 11:14:08 am »
I've just been to the pharmacy and asked for some lemon Dioralyte.
He gave me something that wan't lemon and wasn't dioralyte.
What is wrong with people?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16489 on: 15 August, 2023, 03:06:37 pm »
Maybe he thought you wanted "Lemonade or a light".  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #16490 on: 15 August, 2023, 04:48:11 pm »
M&S have moved out of their nice old building Compton House in Church St, Liverpool which they've occupied since 1928.   They've moved up the road to the Liverpool One shopping centre, taking over part of the building that used to be Debenhams.    I didn't much like it as Debenhams & based on 1 fleeting visit today I don't like the new M&S.  The menswear department* is much smaller & they have Popular Beat Combos playing on the PA  :(
*useful for parental presents.

https://twitter.com/Liverpool1207/status/1691053759563010048?s=20

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/gallery/ms-30-photos-take-you-27524535       I'm agreeing with comments in the Echo.  Someone please shoot me now....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #16491 on: 17 August, 2023, 08:03:36 pm »
The computer at Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles cannot tell the difference between zero-alcohol Brewdog Punk IPA* and the real thing and thus the self-checkout demands a Minion to verify that you’re legally allowed to buy the Stuffs >:(

* Can’t watch a The World Cup Final without BEER.  It’s like a law, or something.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16492 on: 17 August, 2023, 09:18:36 pm »
Football final? When’s this then? Not that I’ll be watching. Sportball <shudder>
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #16493 on: 17 August, 2023, 09:33:55 pm »
The parents have a minor roof leak.   Possibly a few loose tiles & maybe some flashing.   A neighbour recommended a friend of his who's a roofer & "won't let us down" .   So far he's missed 2 agreed times to come & look at the job to give us a quote.  I think I'll be looking at Checkatrade or similar for somebody else.   >:(

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16494 on: 17 August, 2023, 09:42:50 pm »
Sportball <shudder>

It's not so bad when it's *lesbian* sportsball.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #16495 on: 17 August, 2023, 10:35:05 pm »
I won't be able to watch the sportsball final, due to being somewhere on the other side of the Irish Sea on a Clwb Wisgi Llandysul organised visit to a several of Irish distilleries.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16496 on: 18 August, 2023, 07:24:17 am »
Football final? When’s this then? Not that I’ll be watching. Sportball <shudder>

Have to commend the Graun on putting the Women's World Cup in a separate section with a [HIDE] button.  Now if they'd just do that with the rest of football...

« Reply #16497 on: 18 August, 2023, 09:27:45 am »
Apple. Whenever I plug my 'phone into my laptop in order to charge it, you ask me if I want to allow said laptop to access files on the 'phone. I say "No". The the file explorer window immediately opens on the laptop - with no access to the 'phone  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16498 on: 18 August, 2023, 04:12:11 pm »

Have to commend the Graun on putting the Women's World Cup in a separate section with a [HIDE] button.  Now if they'd just do that with the rest of football...
They do, it's the whole of the sport section though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16499 on: 18 August, 2023, 08:19:23 pm »
Apple. Whenever I plug my 'phone into my laptop in order to charge it, you ask me if I want to allow said laptop to access files on the 'phone. I say "No". The the file explorer window immediately opens on the laptop - with no access to the 'phone  ::-)

My Linux machine does something similar.  There's probably a file I can edit somewhere to tell it not to, thobut.

Windows, presumably, demands a reboot...