Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1630041 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #12425 on: 22 August, 2020, 03:30:29 pm »
They've now gone, having cut some grooves in it. I wonder if they will be back later with a pneumatic drill. If it's on Monday my loft 'office' is going to be a bundle of fun.

... probably dynamite - they weren't rolling out a wire to box with a big push button on it were they???  ;D ;D ;D

ian

« Reply #12426 on: 24 August, 2020, 10:03:28 am »
Last week, because we were on holiday and maybe enticed to sleep in a little before heading out on new exciting adventures, the local gods of thunderous power tools were unleashed every morning at 8.30am.

This morning now I'm back at work? Silence.

I'm hopeful that house up the road have finally finished...

« Reply #12427 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:14:15 pm »
Lucky you!  I have the men with the chainsaws and wood chipper next door.  I'm sure that the people on the other end of this afternoon's WFH 'meeting' will be impressed.

ian

« Reply #12428 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:20:03 pm »
Someone feeding a tree to a wood chipper was my 9 am wake-up call last Monday.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12429 on: 24 August, 2020, 01:30:55 pm »
I was woken at early o'clock on Sunday by raised voices and odd mechanical noises. I though it was the people downstairs having an exchange of views. Once I'd woken propoerly and had a look round I realised my TV had switched on and my printer was doing that "printer maintenance in progress" thing. Both caused by the power tripping and being restored.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12430 on: 24 August, 2020, 03:25:56 pm »
Someone feeding a tree to a wood chipper was my 9 am wake-up call last Monday.

At least it was a tree and not an appendage, accompanied by screaming
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #12431 on: 24 August, 2020, 03:57:09 pm »
Given that I'm spending my evenings watching a mix of global apocalypse and disaster movies, I just assumed it was The End.

Now peace reigns, but I'm itchy because at any moment I've been conditioned to expect a cccCCCCCHHHHHRRTTT-thudda-thudda-THUDDA *THUMP* grrrrrrrGrrrrrrnddddGRRRRNNDDDDD. I've missed it so much, I paid a man to come hit my house with a hammer earlier to replace some cracked render.

It would be nice if it continued though, with just the sweet serenade of vehicles reversing up the lane (actually, that can fuck off too).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #12432 on: 24 August, 2020, 04:52:30 pm »
All.
Sodding.
Day.

First they turned up with a hand held pneumatic drill.
Then they dId some more mangle grinding.
Then they turned up with a mini digger with pneumatic drill attachment.
So all afternoon it's been a combo of grinding and drilling.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The concrete lump they're trying to shift is about 18 inches at deepest and 2 feet wide at the bottom. It looks like a previous lazy bodger has just got rid of extra by piling it up against the garage wall.
So there doesn't seem to be a huge amount but the bloody stuff seems to be like diamond.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12433 on: 24 August, 2020, 06:36:57 pm »
Can't blame the courier, yet.

My order from Big River Company should be arriving by 20:00.  As of 18:30 it has yet to be dispatched (according to the tracking page).  Either they are sh!te at updating their tracking info, or sh!te at committing to their delivery promises.  I don't need to have the book in my hands this evening, otherwise this would be for the rant thread.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #12434 on: 24 August, 2020, 08:01:04 pm »
Can't blame the courier, yet.

My order from Big River Company should be arriving by 20:00.  As of 18:30 it has yet to be dispatched (according to the tracking page).  Either they are sh!te at updating their tracking info, or sh!te at committing to their delivery promises.  I don't need to have the book in my hands this evening, otherwise this would be for the rant thread.

Barstewards.

Delayed, not yet shipped
We will email you as soon as this order ships. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12435 on: 24 August, 2020, 09:54:18 pm »
Plan.  Get out by 6am to hill dodge until Mrs B's 8.30 pre zoom team meeting cuppa needs to be delivered.
*Checks rain radar.*
Bugger
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12436 on: 24 August, 2020, 11:27:24 pm »
All.
Sodding.
Day.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The concrete lump they're trying to shift is about 18 inches at deepest and 2 feet wide at the bottom. It looks like a previous lazy bodger has just got rid of extra by piling it up against the garage wall.
So there doesn't seem to be a huge amount but the bloody stuff seems to be like diamond.

Pingu reckons it might be a lump of granite. Which doesn't exactly click with the shape and position of the lump but would explain why it's taking them so bloody long to get rid of.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #12437 on: 25 August, 2020, 07:51:46 am »
Well they are clearly not using enough TNT
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12438 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:35:48 am »
All.
Sodding.
Day.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Pingu reckons it might be a lump of granite. Which doesn't exactly click with the shape and position of the lump but would explain why it's taking them so bloody long to get rid of.

early attempt at a rockery. Got as far as one rock and though "fuckit"
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #12439 on: 25 August, 2020, 09:50:47 am »
Well they are clearly not using enough TNT

Send the ACME boys round to sort it out?

ian

« Reply #12440 on: 25 August, 2020, 10:10:53 am »
I'm reminded that the early morning silence is broken by the bin lorries (greeen waste on Tuesdays, rubbish/recycling on Wednesdays), both who have reorientated their mid-morning slot to ~7am.

In other grumblesome news, I'm happy to gift the purple berry bounty on the tree out front with the fat pigeons who delight upon them, but in return, it would be nice if they didn't sit on the edge of the roof and expel bright purple shit all over the path.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12441 on: 25 August, 2020, 12:25:34 pm »
I am surprised they didn’t think of demolishing the rock or concrete with expansive demolition grout. A fair number of holes, pour in the grout and it expands overnight and cracks the concrete/ rock for removal. Little noise and not too much effort but some thought is needed to get it to crack where you want it to.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #12442 on: 25 August, 2020, 01:08:51 pm »
I am surprised they didn’t think of demolishing the rock or concrete with expansive demolition grout. A fair number of holes, pour in the grout and it expands overnight and cracks the concrete/ rock for removal. Little noise and not too much effort but some thought is needed to get it to crack where you want it to.
Similarly quiet are hydraulic splitters. Drill hole, poke hydraulic splitter in, pump hydraulic fluid, concrete splits asunder.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12443 on: 25 August, 2020, 01:43:54 pm »
Yeahbut why would they do all that nicey-nicey stuff when they can attack it with noisy power tools and/or a BFO hammer?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #12444 on: 25 August, 2020, 05:47:23 pm »
Fortunately there was relative peace today. They seem to have given up and laid chuckies all over it. Which will presumably end up all over the road once the owners start driving their motorhome in and out of the space.

« Reply #12445 on: 29 August, 2020, 03:36:36 pm »
Guess who booked a trip to Český Ráj thinking Czechia would be (a) not the choice of the rabble displaced from Spain, etc and (b) stay on the travel corridor for the time being?  :facepalm:
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #12446 on: 29 August, 2020, 07:03:58 pm »
Our local (Herts) library has finally reopened. For 9 hours a week. And they’re still not operating their online reservation system or delivering previously reserved books. Bucks (where we live) have had their library service running reasonably normally since July.  :-\
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12447 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:07:25 pm »
Just what is the point of ‘track my order’? It’s so often totally worthless, there’s no,actual point to clicking the link. When will I remember this.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #12448 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:24:39 pm »
Depends who with. Some of them give you a map with the driver's last drop and number of stops before yours. Agreed that a few of them are a bit shit.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12449 on: 30 August, 2020, 06:58:36 pm »
Depends who with. Some of them give you a map with the driver's last drop and number of stops before yours. Agreed that a few of them are a bit shit.

The useless workshy twats at Yodel do that.  It didn’t help with my last delivery: “we could not access your property” the first time and “28 stops before yours” 45 minutes after delivery the second.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime