Author Topic: VE 75  (Read 9518 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: VE 75
« Reply #100 on: 09 May, 2020, 10:48:44 pm »
I went past a house yesterday displaying: The Union flag, the South African flag, the Irish flag (I think) and the student's favourite, a Che Guevera flag.

The Village Flag Man (big flag pole in the front garden, flags displayed for any occasion) had a Stars and Stripes hanging from a first floor window, something I can't remember on the fence and a Union flag upside down on his flag pole. He might have meant it, but otherwise I think his post as Village Ensign is up for review.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #101 on: 09 May, 2020, 11:28:44 pm »
Apart from the usual bunting, I was pleased to see someone in Barnie with Aus and NZ flags, and I was wondering if there might be an India flag as well, but I was surprised to see a French flag. At that point, they ran out of space on their van.

« Reply #102 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:20:22 am »
The Tory government. It swaps a holiday celebrating Labour for a nostalgic distraction.

This.

I took the Monday off and worked Friday. I am fed up with WW2 "nostalgia" being rammed down my throat, Germany has been a responsible member of Europe for a long time now and I find it a bit nauseating this jingoistic celebration of defeating a nation that is not only an ally but in fact a place to look up to in many ways.

GC

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #104 on: 10 May, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
The Tory government. It swaps a holiday celebrating Labour for a nostalgic distraction.

This.

I took the Monday off and worked Friday. I am fed up with WW2 "nostalgia" being rammed down my throat, Germany has been a responsible member of Europe for a long time now and I find it a bit nauseating this jingoistic celebration of defeating a nation that is not only an ally but in fact a place to look up to in many ways.

GC

Shame for you it's a celebration in Germany of Liberation Day.

They celebrate being freed from the tyranny of the Nazis

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #105 on: 10 May, 2020, 12:40:55 pm »

Shame for you it's a celebration in Germany of Liberation Day.

They celebrate being freed from the tyranny of the Nazis

Yet, the day after, there are protests by far right groups in Alexander Platz in Berlin.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #108 on: 10 May, 2020, 03:35:00 pm »
(There was also a house with a creepy scarecrow of a nurse in the front garden.  The Uncanny Valley supports our NHS heroes, or something.)
Some village scarecrow competitions/festivals this year have had an NHS theme. My favourite that I've seen so far was a farmer in wellies, legs akimbo, upside down with his head stuck in a hedge and the label NHS on him (also upside down).

I hope sociologists, anthropologists etc are noting the role of the scarecrow as "village festival item". There might be comparisons to be made with the changing role of pumpkins and the decline of Guys.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #109 on: 10 May, 2020, 04:55:42 pm »
"Never again," we vowed after the war. But for us Germans in particular, this "never again" means "never again alone". This sentence is truer in Europe than anywhere else. We must keep Europe together. We must think, feel and act as Europeans. If we do not hold Europe together, also during and after this pandemic, then we will have shown ourselves not to be worthy of 8 May. If Europe fails, the "never again" also fails.

Hence the irony of post-Brexit British Street parties.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #110 on: 11 May, 2020, 09:58:49 am »
Some friends were expecting a baby. It was born on 8th May, so that's good. They'd been wanting a baby for years, a couple of attempts had resulted in miscarriage so VE Day could now stand for Victory over Empty womb day.  ;D

ian

« Reply #111 on: 11 May, 2020, 10:05:05 am »
Posh, big-housed, old, white bits of Oxted. Flags aplenty. Everywhere else, less so.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #112 on: 11 May, 2020, 10:08:13 am »
Posh, big-housed, old, white bits of Oxted. Flags aplenty. Everywhere else, less so.
Basically the inverse of St George's flags during a football tournament, then.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #113 on: 11 May, 2020, 10:10:27 am »
Precisely.

And not one single English flag with ENGLAND printed across the middle.

« Reply #114 on: 11 May, 2020, 11:29:14 am »
See a few Zwift riders with the England flag altho' most have the Union emblem.  I am a Canadian at the moment but may decide to emigrate to an African country soon, not Kenya, that's too obvious.  Or maybe Finland.  My Zwift name is a transnational one.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #115 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:37:02 am »
Some friends' baby was born in May. I just discovered it was actually the 8th of May. A boy. They didn't call him Victor or Winston.

In fact they called him, rather inappropriately,
(click to show/hide)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #116 on: 07 June, 2020, 09:45:15 am »
Some friends' baby was born in May. I just discovered it was actually the 8th of May. A boy. They didn't call him Victor or Winston.

(click to show/hide)
Conception?
Date of, that is.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #117 on: 07 June, 2020, 04:49:34 pm »

(click to show/hide)

August Thyssen was a German industrialist, a steel magnate.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #118 on: 08 June, 2020, 07:56:17 pm »

(click to show/hide)
Conception?
Date of, that is.
Hadn't thought of that, but I guess the timing works!