Author Topic: Rogerzilla's quick guide to UK radio  (Read 7656 times)

Re: Rogerzilla's quick guide to UK radio
« Reply #50 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:42:04 pm »
And Paul O'Grady who plays pre-war pieces as well as everything else.  :)

I like Mr O'Grady.
I like his radio show ... but have it on good authority that he's not so likeable in real-life ....

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #51 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:42:42 pm »

I like Mr O'Grady.
I get a bit irritated by the "requests for dead pets" slot. Come on, they're pets, they'd have no idea you were playing a request for them even if they were alive.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #52 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:45:01 pm »

I like Mr O'Grady.
I get a bit irritated by the "requests for dead pets" slot. Come on, they're pets, they'd have no idea you were playing a request for them even if they were alive.
If you accept that it's a theraputic service for the bereaved owners it not quite so bad.

John Henry

« Reply #53 on: 02 January, 2013, 07:47:15 pm »

I like Mr O'Grady.
If you accept that it's a theraputic service for the bereaved owners it not quite so bad.

I always thought it was tongue in cheek humour. Has us in stitches. Is it meant to be serious, then?

« Reply #54 on: 02 January, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »

I like Mr O'Grady.

I always thought it was tongue in cheek humour. Has us in stitches. Is it meant to be serious, then?
errr .... I reckon.....

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #55 on: 02 January, 2013, 11:01:43 pm »
Radio 2 even has the same DJs who were on R1 in the 80s.
Local radio, whether commercial or BBC, seems to be in a gap between R1 and R2 but with lower production values.
When young, I had an old valve radio, and I listened to whatever I could find on the Short Wave - Radio Moscow, TWMC, VoA, World Service.  But I loved those rare snatches of faint broadcasts from obscure places like Radio Tirana, Voice of Vietnam, Vatican Radio...

Then, when the Goplana died, ...
I used to listen to those on my mother's old Roberts (which wasn't so old it had valves) but never got Vietnam. Tirana was a favourite, not for anything they said but I loved the beepetty call sign with the long gaps and "This is Radio Tirana" in a variety of languages, then when they finally started broadcasting properly you never knew what language it was going to be in.

Funny that you had a radio called Goplana.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #56 on: 03 January, 2013, 06:39:21 am »
Sweet!
Getting there...

« Reply #57 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:34:48 am »
Radio 2 even has the same DJs who were on R1 in the 80s.

Steve Wright was funny in the 80's but not now. Laddish radio , it gets switched off almost immediately if I am driving.
I do miss DAB in the car and I do not understand why new cars are still being fitted with FM only  radios .
Planet Rock is the default music station in our house-only available on DAB.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #58 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:51:43 am »
When young, I had an old valve radio, and I listened to whatever I could find on the Short Wave - Radio Moscow, TWMC, VoA, World Service.  But I loved those rare snatches of faint broadcasts from obscure places like Radio Tirana, Voice of Vietnam, Vatican Radio...

I too spent my childhood with a warmly glowing bakelite and wood bedroom companion. I remember roaming the airwaves and finding all sorts of exotica. Later, I built crystal sets which, to my astonishment, actually worked and pulled in what must have been Radio 4.

« Reply #59 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:05:20 am »
Capital FM annoy me with their "The UK's No1 music station" advertising since they are a London only broadcaster (and yes I know you can stream them).
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:18:47 am »
...Steve Wright was funny in the 80's ...

Eh? ???
Getting there...

« Reply #61 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:51:59 am »
Capital FM annoy me with their "The UK's No1 music station" advertising since they are a London only broadcaster (and yes I know you can stream them).

Are you sure?  I had to suffer Capital FM on various frequencies from around Northampton to near Scarborough on a recent car journey.  If I hear Alicia Keys' This Girrrl is on fyaaaar one more time...  :P
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #62 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:03:02 am »
Ooh your right they have now bought or merged with several other local radio stations. Shows how long it is since I listened to Capitol FM.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #63 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:04:33 am »
...Steve Wright was funny in the 80's ...

Eh? ???

Perhaps "Steve Wright is as funny now as he was in the 80's" would make more sense?

:D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
I think I can agree with that statement.  it applies to 'in his own head' as well as reality.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:49:09 am »

Back in the days when I listened to radio (before they invented Rhianna, so the countdown would have been for Gabrielle I suppose), there was a national network of Capital FM clones with the same playlist and more-or-less the same adverts.  You could travel the length of the country without hearing more than about 2 CDs worth of material.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Re: Rogerzilla's quick guide to UK radio
« Reply #66 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:00:25 pm »

Back in the days when I listened to radio (before they invented Rhianna, so the countdown would have been for Gabrielle I suppose), there was a national network of Capital FM clones with the same playlist and more-or-less the same adverts.  You could travel the length of the country without hearing more than about 2 CDs worth of material.
You can get Capital on digital in most places, even Swindon.  It's not the same since Chris Tarrant stopped doing the lunchtime show in about 1985.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #67 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:03:12 pm »
Looking around the web, it appears that a pirate radio station called Laser 558 was not a figment of my imagination - anyone else remember it?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 03 January, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »
You can get Capital on digital in most places, even Swindon.  It's not the same since Chris Tarrant stopped doing the lunchtime show in about 1985.

Surely the absence of Christ Tarrant is a good thing?  I suffered enough of his morning o'clock smug bastardness in the early 90s...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #69 on: 03 January, 2013, 01:09:08 pm »
He was good at lunchtimes - smaller audience and quite subversive.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #70 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:01:50 pm »
I do miss DAB in the car and I do not understand why new cars are still being fitted with FM only  radios .

Mrs T's 6 month old Fiesta has a FM/DAB radio, which makes trips out more enjoyable, apart from the fact that DAB is more suseptable to drop outs (It's either there or it isn't, no fade) and any run through the countryside has use constantly re-tuning.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #71 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:14:43 pm »
Looking around the web, it appears that a pirate radio station called Laser 558 was not a figment of my imagination - anyone else remember it?
I remember that one.

Wasn't it a pirate outfit ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #72 on: 03 January, 2013, 04:16:36 pm »
I'd just like to point out for your edification that the popular beat combo songstress from Barbados is actually spelt Rihanna, and it wasn't a typo.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #73 on: 03 January, 2013, 06:36:42 pm »
I turned on the radio this morning and to my surprise it was tuned to a local community radio station called BC FM. They were playing Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmilla  :) but they then cut to "national news on the hour, live from the Sky newsroom". When I listened to them again later they were jingling that "we play more Bristol music than any other station in the country" - no shit! - although that particular DJ, who had an Irish accent, didn't play anything not made in the USA before about 1970. Later there was a programme "for Bristol's Caribbean and African communities" which included, bizarrely, some astronomy (did you know yesterday was perihelion?) as well as a calypso song which stuck in my mind for rhyming "bassline grooving" with "waistlines moving".  :D The DJs seemed slightly amateur but then they probably are - no adverts so I can't see they'd have enough money to pay them - and the range of music more than made up for it. So I now say I rather like local radio, in this version at least!  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #74 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:49:43 am »
Radio 3 now has an extra listener, thanks to the amazing self-untuning radio - take it into a different room and it's no longer tuned into the station it was receiving previously. I'm actually really pleased by Radio 3 - it's lots of good music mixed in with the best parts of Radio 4 - books and poetry and stuff without trying to be intellectual, political or confrontational, and no Archers!