Author Topic: Elastictrickery question ( lights)  (Read 720 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Elastictrickery question ( lights)
« on: 07 May, 2020, 08:29:46 am »
Grunhilda came with a Schmidt son dyno hub, and a BM toplight rear light, and a BM sensor front, with " on, off, auto. The lamps are filament bulbs, front being halogen. I see reflecalite do LED replacement bulbs than are supposedly 3 x brighter, but £12 each. They also talk about a 'reducer'capacitor' or some such to absorb excess.
1) would I need this capacitor thing in my current lamps, as they have a standby function.
2 is it worth buying the bulbs, or buy a new led senso model or something else.
3) I have an old 'solidlights' unit, that is still good and very bright, with its own screw plug thing and  2 bayonets. Would this work with the rear light ( swap to led bulb, do I need a capacitor thing?). Presumably there are only 2 wires in the solid light, so cut off screw fitting, fix male bayonets connect up to extg front wires, but will this affect the on off function of the rear? I mean will rear light come on / off with front light switch, or on all time, not work.?

Please be gentle!

Re: Elastictrickery question ( lights)
« Reply #1 on: 07 May, 2020, 08:43:36 am »
1) would I need this capacitor thing in my current lamps, as they have a standby function.

It's a regulator they recommend. It goes between the wires and prevents the voltage exceeding 6 volts and destroying the LED bulbs. I'd reckon you need it unless you're feeling very lucky.

2 is it worth buying the bulbs, or buy a new led senso model or something else.

If they're basic lights I wouldn't bother with the replacement bulbs. It's just another thing to go wrong.

3) I have an old 'solidlights' unit, that is still good and very bright, with its own screw plug thing and 4 bayonets. Would this work with the rear light ( swap to led bulb, do I need a capacitor thing?). Presumably there are only 2 wires in the solid light, so cut off screw fitting, fix male bayonets connect up to extg front wires, but will this affect the on off function of the rear? I mean will rear light come on / off with front light switch, or on all time, not work.?

Reading the FAQ for that unit it sounds like it regulates the output voltage to the rear light itself, so should be fine. And presumably the output switches off when you turn the front light off.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Elastictrickery question ( lights)
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2020, 12:09:17 pm »
There's a pretty strong argument for replacing them with whatever low-end set of LED dyanmo lights you like.  Likey to cost about as much as LED retrfito bulbs, perform better, and no voltage limiter needed.