Author Topic: AVRO Vulcan XH558  (Read 77378 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: AVRO Vulcan XH558
« Reply #250 on: 01 September, 2016, 09:11:54 pm »
Minor whinge. Why the FOOK do journos insist on calling the Avro Vulcan a 'Vulcan bomber'? And for the matter of that they do the same with the bloody Lancaster, too!

Oh! BTW. British Aerospace or whatever you're called this week. Get tae fuck claiming you built it. A V Roe & Company built it. Likewise Rolls Royce, Olympus engines were a Bristol Aero Engines product.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #251 on: 02 September, 2016, 01:06:13 am »
Minor whinge. Why the FOOK do journos insist on calling the Avro Vulcan a 'Vulcan bomber'? And for the matter of that they do the same with the bloody Lancaster, too!

<straight bat>
Because neither of them were fighters?

« Reply #252 on: 02 September, 2016, 12:35:01 pm »
To differentiate it from the Vickers Vulcan Airliner of the 1920's  :P

(click to show/hide)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #253 on: 02 September, 2016, 12:39:34 pm »
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #254 on: 02 September, 2016, 12:43:39 pm »
Or the Vulcan American Moth (not to be confused with the De Havilland Moth, Moth Major, Tiger Moth, Gipsy Moth, Leopard Moth, Giant Moth, Moth Minor etc...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_American_Moth_Monoplane
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #255 on: 02 September, 2016, 01:54:27 pm »
moth minor is uterly wet and a weed
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Martin

« Reply #256 on: 02 September, 2016, 06:16:07 pm »
Is the Noo F-35 Jump Jet (another awful 60s press term!) called a Lightning II after the P-38 (which I get confused with the Westland Whirlwind, not the chopper of the same name) or the EE version? and should it be a Lightning III?

* actually it's not a Jump Jet

and it looks more like a Dyson than a Harrier in hover mode

« Reply #257 on: 02 September, 2016, 10:08:46 pm »
Is the Noo F-35 Jump Jet (another awful 60s press term!) called a Lightning II after the P-38 (which I get confused with the Westland Whirlwind, not the chopper of the same name) or the EE version? and should it be a Lightning III?

As per my post in the Interesting Planes thread, it's named after the P-38. It is a Leftpondian-designed plane after all...

and it looks more like a Dyson than a Harrier in hover mode

That's what comes of trying to get STOVL capability and supersonic performance in the same aircraft. Thrust is a function of the mass of gas ejected and its velocity - the Harrier's Pegasus engine had a lot of thrust courtesy of a high mass flow, but the exhaust velocity was low compared to a more conventional turbofan with the same thrust rating, so the Harrier was limited to subsonic flight.

Because the JSF was intended to be supersonic, it required a main engine with a high exhaust velocity, but the dry thrust is insufficient to support the aircraft mass in the hover. Another source of thrust is required nearer the forward end of the airframe, hence the lift fan system and its various doors behind the cockpit on the F-35B.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_LiftSystem
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Martin

« Reply #258 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:52:33 am »
Saw the excellent Sea Vixen display at Duxford on Saturday, only to then have to do a belly landing back at Yeovilton base (credit to the skills of the pilot) Ironic as it had its wheels down during part of the display.

(excuse crap Sun reporting)
https://www.facebook.com/thesun/posts/1973532629339833?comment_id=1973540166005746&notif_t=like&notif_id=1496013988365906

I can't help thinking that even after another expensive repair it might be curtains for her flying career.

« Reply #259 on: 29 May, 2017, 12:46:21 pm »
Here's a non-Sun report: https://theaviationist.com/2017/05/27/sea-vixen-does-wheels-up-emergency-landing-at-duxford/

I can't help thinking that even after another expensive repair it might be curtains for her flying career.

I agree - this incident, even though it was a landing that the pilot could walk away from, will only add to the post-Shoreham twitchiness about vintage military aircraft.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #260 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:45:47 pm »
Here's a non-Sun report: https://theaviationist.com/2017/05/27/sea-vixen-does-wheels-up-emergency-landing-at-duxford/

I agree - this incident, even though it was a landing that the pilot could walk away from, will only add to the post-Shoreham twitchiness about vintage military aircraft.
Jets maybe.  They are considerably more complicated and more difficult to keep airworthy than the piston engined stuff that preceded them.  Isn't that what's grounded XH588 and why the chances of restoring a Concorde to flying condition are practically nil?   

Regardless of H&S twitchiness all of the interesting stuff will be grounded in the end as original airframes reach their fatigue lifetimes.  Any "old stuff" flying after that will Ships of Theseus / bitsa jobs or out and out new build replicas.

I don't think Shoreham had anything to do with airworthiness or any sort of mechanical, hydraulic or electrical problem.

Incidentally does anyone know what is happening / has happened to the Firefly MK V that crashed a few (3 to 5?) years ago?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Martin

« Reply #261 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:41:32 am »
Looks like G-CVIX will be out of service for 2-3 years for repairs  :( having only flown a couple of times since last year's flap problem. I'll definitely be buying the Duxford DVD as it could be a historic display