Author Topic: Mudguards?  (Read 2821 times)

Mudguards?
« on: 23 January, 2010, 10:35:31 am »
In June I have booked on a supported Raid Pyrenean - the 100 hour job with 19 others.  My preferred steed will be the Roberts compact audax as it offers the best compromise between comfort, speed and enhanced hill-climbing. 

I've no firm idea what the average punter rides on this kind of thing but I suspect my Roberts might not be typical.  The question is, should I remove its mudguards as a token effort to conform or should I not bother?  I am reasonably immune to ridicule and dislike getting a wet backside.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Mudguards?
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2010, 10:45:47 am »
Most of the riders tend to treat it as an extra-challenging sportive so it's racing bikes and minimal baggage, but you'll certainly need to carry something to pull on for the descents as it gets pretty cold even in summer.  I would have imagined a Roberts Audax would be fine - I rode the Etape on mine and was  perfectly comfortable on the climbs (and overtook a lot of people on flashier bikes).  I wouldn't bother with mudguards unless there has been bad weather immediately before you go but if you don't need to take them off to transport the bike I wouldn't specifically take them off either. You may get the odd comment - a few on the Etape were amused by my hub dynamo - but who cares?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2010, 11:34:34 am »
When I rode the RP, I was the only one in the group of 35 with mudguards. There was torrential rain for the first couple of days - it was in June. It is debatable whether my mudguards had anything to do with me ending up in the minority who didn't pack, but I was very glad I had them.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2010, 11:37:39 am »
+1 to what RobM said. Make the decision based on the weather rather than what other people might think.

Also, as RobM says, you'll probably overtake people on much flashier bikes than you. But if you don't, and end up finishing last, you can just blame the bike, so think of it as a ready-made excuse. ;)

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »
Knee warmers, arm warmers and overshoes plus a bag big enough to hold them is also a good idea.
And gloves.

I rode the tourist version (10 days 28 cols) many years ago.  It was early June but for most of the descents at the Atlantic end I needed to stop at the top and don tights, arm warmers and a windproof jacket.  I also took a pair of liners for motorcycle gloves, thin polypropelene ones.  They made a world of difference on the descents.

I'd leave the mudguards on because you can then take the mickey out of the others.  Some years ago one of my friends, a very strong rider, rode an early sportif in this country.  In the lead group somebody finally asked why he had mudguards.  His response - "well I'm not racing am I".

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2010, 10:30:37 pm »
Western half of the Pyrenees is notorious for variable, very localised, weather.
I would definitely leave them on unless travelling the bike is easier without them.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »
I did supported RP (sub-100hr, actually 62hr) in 1989 (age 42) without mudguards and on 36/24 min gear.  Support meant spare (dry) clothing available if needed (first, western end day wet), gears meant hardship, so triple better for tired body.

Reason for no m/gs also around total bike/body weight.  Everything is going up a long way and if supported ride much more freedom. Much warmer in summer, when you should be able to dry out or suffer a bit of damp with wet weather gear.  You do not find the locals using m/gs.

I have done several sportifs in Pyrenees/Alps and find 30/26 a good all-round low, though lower touring triple could give 24-26 lowest.  A lot depends on your age and strength but whatever you ride comfortably on for AAA routes in UK should be OK in Pyrenees.  You will need to find out by riding a 200AAA route to simulate end-of-day fatigue.

SteveP
BC Club Coach
ABCC Coach
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2010, 10:19:43 am »
In June I have booked on a supported Raid Pyrenean - the 100 hour job with 19 others.  My preferred steed will be the Roberts compact audax as it offers the best compromise between comfort, speed and enhanced hill-climbing.  

I've no firm idea what the average punter rides on this kind of thing but I suspect my Roberts might not be typical.  The question is, should I remove its mudguards as a token effort to conform or should I not bother?  I am reasonably immune to ridicule and dislike getting a wet backside.

I used my Roberts audax compact in 2007.  Without mudguards and with a compact triple (then again, I always ride with this range).  I took the mudguards off to lighten up the bike, to make it easier to pack in my bike bag and to have one less thing to worry about (didn't want that ride to be the one where they shook loose).

Most riders do use whippet racing bikes, some obviously fresh out the box.  Discussions about the steel bike were admiring rather than mocking.

Oh, and the French recognise quality.  People were taking pictures of my bike when it was rested outside of cafes etc. and led to a couple of conversations with locals.

« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2010, 03:48:51 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the very interesting replies and helpful advice - the mudguards remain!

The Roberts is a triple and I'm sure I'll be grateful for that as well.. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »
While not RP, I did a 3 day ride London to Paris a few years back.  It was run "TdF" style, with three 200k sections, rolling road closures in France (and motorcyle support down to Portsmouth almost as good; they shut down roundabouts to get us through).  There was some fantastic bling on that ride - mainly carbon, some Ti, a few Al, and one steel - my Roberts, with mudguards, small saddlebag, lights; everything I normally have on a ride.  But is wasn't the "retro" bike that caused most comment.  It was the sandals.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2010, 06:08:38 pm »
I DNFd Raid Pyrenean in 2003. There was six of us on the trip. Two Americans had mudguards and dynamo hubs and went onto do PBP a month or so later. It was the hottest summer ever in France and we scoffed at their mudguards. Id did rain though and they were glad of their 'guards. I used my Reynolds 531 Peugeot Triathlon 531. My mate has his Poison.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2010, 07:02:15 pm »
Much warmer in summer, when you should be able to dry out or suffer a bit of damp with wet weather gear.  You do not find the locals using m/gs.
Whilst appreciating you're commenting from direct experience,
I'd point out that much the same thing was said before PBP August 07. I was very grateful for my guards.

There are also the number of Etape reports of folks freezing on descents.

I think some people think they're worthwhile, some don't (plenty of riders without on yesterday's ride, for example!).

Just my 2p-worth ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2010, 11:23:19 am »
A final view?  My Sportif bike, as opposed to my regular Audax machine, is 'uncomfortable' with m/gs as it is a converted (gears) racing snake.  But from my touring 'Heritage', I use a small seatpin mounted bag, the type that hangs on a frame and can take a spare waterproof and top, not a tube pouch. Now that is a very effective back protector from the rear wheel spray.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.