Author Topic: OS OpenData  (Read 6601 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: OS OpenData
« Reply #25 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
Editing guidelines for OS Streetview, from here: Ordnance Survey Opendata - OpenStreetMap Wiki
Editing guidelines

However before you start editing, please consider the following:

1. Don't assume the OS data is either correct or up to date. Use it as a guide and additional resource for your mapping, not a replacement.
   2. Please add source tags to any data you add to OSM from OS StreetView. See the tag suggestions: Ordnance Survey Opendata - OpenStreetMap Wiki
   3. If you're tempted to map in an area you're not familiar with, contact any local contributors first. Please don't alienate other contributors by treading on their toes. They will know their local area better than anyone else.
   4. Look for places that have been mapped using Yahoo! imagery and don't have road names. This is a good place to start.
   5. Avoid simply duplicating OS data in blank areas of OSM unless you're familiar with the area and don't have access to other resources such as a GPS.
   6. In May the OS will release a further vector based product which may provide better data for buildings than tracing from OS StreetView. You might want to hold off tracing buildings until the details are confirmed.

Also note there may be good quality vector data for lakes / rivers / streams etc available soon. So maybe better to wait for that instead of tracing it all manually.

« Reply #26 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:09:44 pm »
What's the best approach?   Just focus on getting the missing roads on first and let the OSM faeries fill in the details afterwards?

No, no, no! The nearest unmapped roads to me involve a ride of about 3 hours so adding them is a great incentive to ride a bit further or to places that I wouldn't otherwise explore.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #27 on: 07 April, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »
Filling in crude data so I can refine later. The OS Streetview is close but not as accurate as GPS.

Any chance of getting Potlch to auto prompt or autofill source tags?
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #28 on: 08 April, 2010, 12:12:25 am »
What's the best approach?   Just focus on getting the missing roads on first and let the OSM faeries fill in the details afterwards?

No, no, no! The nearest unmapped roads to me involve a ride of about 3 hours so adding them is a great incentive to ride a bit further or to places that I wouldn't otherwise explore.

Canvey Island in Essex is unmapped.  Although it's really close to me I haven't the time to go cycle every road.

Using OS data with the above guidelines I could easily knock an outline of the roads onto the map whilst stuck on conference calls at work, leaving road names etc to be added at a later date.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #29 on: 08 April, 2010, 12:34:08 am »
Any chance of getting Potlch to auto prompt or autofill source tags?

Press B and it autofills the source with the name of the current background layer. :thumbsup:

Also for speedy work, N creates a name tag and puts you in the edit box.

I can't resist... must unbollix the Somerset Levels...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #30 on: 08 April, 2010, 07:23:36 am »
Canvey Island in Essex is unmapped.  Although it's really close to me I haven't the time to go cycle every road.

You don't have time to make use of the map you're creating either then so what's the rush? Can't you leave it for someone else that does have time?

« Reply #31 on: 08 April, 2010, 08:33:28 am »
1) There are cycle routes on the Island.  As part of my Campaigning work in the area I want to see an increase in cycle usage.  CycleStreets: UK-wide Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap takes its data from OSM but as there aren't even any roads shown on the island it can't be used.

2) It only takes one person to map it, and I'm happy to do that, and then the whole world can benefit.  I'm not mapping this for me (I know my way around) I'm mapping this for others.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #32 on: 08 April, 2010, 08:54:37 am »
1) There are cycle routes on the Island.  As part of my Campaigning work in the area I want to see an increase in cycle usage.  CycleStreets: UK-wide Cycle Journey Planner and Photomap takes its data from OSM but as there aren't even any roads shown on the island it can't be used.

2) It only takes one person to map it, and I'm happy to do that, and then the whole world can benefit.  I'm not mapping this for me (I know my way around) I'm mapping this for others.

Exactly. That is also why I am doing it.  Though the footpaths locally could be more of a challenge...
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #33 on: 08 April, 2010, 09:20:07 am »

Fairy nuff  :thumbsup: