Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333174 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1525 on: 11 June, 2019, 07:51:14 pm »
Good Omens starts on Amazon Prime on Friday :)
Not getting a fantastic review in the Guardian today....

Miss von Brandenburg has been consistently refusing to watch it ever since the project was announced, and doubly so since David Tennant, great ham that he be, was confirmed in the part of Crowley.  I revisited the wireless series recently, which was a Thing of Splendid.
Actually, Sheen and Tennant were some of the best parts of the series. Sheen was given the best lines.
It is ok. Doesn't translate to the screen brilliantly.

I thought it was ok. The last episode was a bit twee though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Television tonight, what's worth watching?
« Reply #1526 on: 12 June, 2019, 01:24:24 pm »
Years and Years on the BBC is excellent (last episode next week). I would describe it as a dystopian Corrie meets Dr Who.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1527 on: 17 June, 2019, 09:23:30 pm »
On talking pictures freeview channel 81, in 10 minutes at 9:30pm, The criminal, 1960 film starring stanley Baker, directed by Joseph Losey.

Earlier they showed Cover Girl Killler, 1959 film with Harry H Corbett (pre steptoe)

« Reply #1528 on: 18 June, 2019, 02:39:30 pm »
Tales of the City

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm ranking it as one of the best adaptions of a novel that I've seen.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1529 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:56:52 am »
Tales of the City

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm ranking it as one of the best adaptions of a novel that I've seen.

I loved the original stories/novels when I read them back in the early 90s. The C4 adaptation was great too.

Haven’t read any of the later books but I’m quite interested to see the new series. Good to see they’ve kept the same cast, though Olympia Dukakis must be getting on a bit now.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1530 on: 19 June, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
Tomorrow on C4, Catch 22 with an all star cast by the looks of it.

Also, I have been enjoying What We Do in The Shadows on BBC. A silly thing about New York vampures from Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1531 on: 20 June, 2019, 10:51:12 pm »
Not tonight, but Sunday evening on Talking Pictures TV sees George Dixon (Jack Warner) come up against the villainous Dirk Bogarde in The Blue Lamp. Top 1950s crime drama.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #1532 on: 24 June, 2019, 09:04:45 pm »
If anyone has Paramount Channel (dingo channel 153), just starting is 'The Hundred Foot Journey'. A truly delightful and escapist tale of triumph over prejudice and a love story.

Just watch it.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ian

« Reply #1533 on: 25 June, 2019, 11:55:23 am »

Also, I have been enjoying What We Do in The Shadows on BBC. A silly thing about New York vampures from Jemaine Clement from Flight of the Conchords.

I mentioned this a while ago – it's very funny.

Hmm, Catch-22 as a tv programme, I think the book has been best described as a 'long book that feels even longer.'

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1534 on: 25 June, 2019, 02:07:18 pm »
I think the book has been best described as a 'long book that feels even longer.'

That sums up my feelings about it pretty well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1535 on: 25 June, 2019, 06:47:27 pm »

Catch 22!  What a pleasant surprise!!!  One of my favourite books ever, and this didn't actually f*ck it up  :thumbsup:

(George Clooney - who produced, I believe? - does his self-mocking thing, which is far more enjoyable these days than his romantic-lead thing.  :thumbsup: And is only in a couple of scenes  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: )

'Shadows was good too - although I only saw Ep1, and may "catch-up" one day ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1537 on: 27 June, 2019, 09:39:06 pm »
Putin’s Media Struggle to Deal With HBO’s Chernobyl

The Kremlin is producing it's own series, including showing the accident was caused by Aliens! the CIA. ::-)

Russian Orthodox Church political commissar spokesperson states "Chernobyl" series is a smear campaign against Russia and its nuclear industry,

Ah, that would be the church that has just recently decided that blessing nuclear-tipped ICBMs might not be such a good look after all?  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1538 on: 27 June, 2019, 10:06:34 pm »
Putin’s Media Struggle to Deal With HBO’s Chernobyl

The Kremlin is producing it's own series, including showing the accident was caused by Aliens! the CIA. ::-)

Russian Orthodox Church political commissar spokesperson states "Chernobyl" series is a smear campaign against Russia and its nuclear industry,

Ah, that would be the church that has just recently decided that blessing nuclear-tipped ICBMs might not be such a good look after all?  :demon:

Externally: yes; internally: no.  The truth is flexible - it all depends on who's asking.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1539 on: 29 June, 2019, 09:02:35 pm »
Snatch on Sony Movie Channel right now.
" If you stop me again,  I'll cut your Jacobs off"
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1540 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:46:53 pm »
On ITV at 9pm, A Fistful of Dynamite. After that, Training Day.

« Reply #1541 on: 30 June, 2019, 10:02:31 pm »
The Cure at Glastonbury right now.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #1542 on: 30 June, 2019, 10:18:34 pm »
Not live on TV but I've really enjoyed both What We Do In The Shadows and Year of the Rabbit on iPlayer and 4od respectively, both starring Matthew Berry and I found they tickle my funny bone very well.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #1543 on: 30 June, 2019, 10:38:58 pm »
The Swimmer on Talking Pictures at 11:35pm.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1544 on: 01 July, 2019, 01:30:33 pm »
Not live on TV but I've really enjoyed both What We Do In The Shadows and Year of the Rabbit on iPlayer and 4od respectively, both starring Matthew Berry and I found they tickle my funny bone very well.

Made me think of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Year_of_the_Angry_Rabbit

Fun.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1545 on: 03 July, 2019, 01:43:33 pm »
Adventure Show on BBC Scotland/iplayer has an extreme event called Celtman - basically an Ironman. The scenery is glorious (but 3 seasons in a day). A good watch if you are interested in the endurance thing

hillbilly

« Reply #1546 on: 03 July, 2019, 03:42:10 pm »
Currently catching up with Stranger Things on Netlix. 

OK, I'm about 2 years late to the party, but it's an excellent hark back to 80s horror genre a la Stephen King and David Cronenberg.  The alarming thing is that for many "less mature" watchers, there is ample scope to be mystified by a lot of the cutting edge pre-digital technology that appears (what strange magic is this that they can make pictures in the dark by waving paper in water...)

« Reply #1547 on: 19 July, 2019, 12:05:42 pm »
It'll be on iPlaayer, because it finished last night, but we've been watching "Chasing the moon" on BBC4, a 6 part documentary on the space race, including some of the politics behind it - all the space facilities are in the South, because the House committees that gave the funding were chaired by southerners. Which also held back the introduction of black astronauts. Fascinating.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

lou boutin

• Les chaussures sont ma vie.
Re: Television tonight, what's worth watching?
« Reply #1548 on: 19 July, 2019, 03:38:30 pm »
Years and Years on the BBC is excellent (last episode next week). I would describe it as a dystopian Corrie meets Dr Who.

It scared the jeheebees out of me.  It was the side statements like 'do you remember when there were butterflies' and 'before bananas became extinct' that did the most damage.  I've decided that the politician with the spinning bow tie in the end shots is Bor!s.

« Reply #1549 on: 19 July, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »
On Talking Pictures (Freeview 81) tonight at 9:30pm, The Anderson Tapes, then Expresso Bongo.