Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 953252 times)

AndyK

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2225 on: 02 March, 2012, 11:31:56 pm »
Crazy Heart. Jeff Bridges on fine form in this story about a fading singer. Slow burner but had me hooked. 8/10

« Reply #2226 on: 02 March, 2012, 11:43:54 pm »
We need to talk about Kevin - directed by Lynne Ramsay, who also did Ratcatcher and Morven Callar. Excellent, absorbing film about a difficult subject. Recommended, not an easy one to watch.

Frere

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2227 on: 02 March, 2012, 11:50:09 pm »
Pale Rider.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2228 on: 03 March, 2012, 12:14:08 am »
The Kings Speech, top film  :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2229 on: 03 March, 2012, 08:51:40 am »
Pale Rider.

One of my all time favourite films.
I like the bit where a super annuated Rowdy Yates ;) ,masquerading as a preacher man ,knocks seven colours of sh$t out the wildwestfrontier chavs with a pick axe handle.

AndyK

« Reply #2230 on: 03 March, 2012, 11:27:36 pm »
Film two of this weekend's Jeff Bridges trilogy finished. True Grit. Very enjoyable, true to the story but different enough to have it's own flavour, and with a much better ending.

fuzzy

« Reply #2231 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:50:36 am »
Bad Leiutenant- Harvey Keitel.

Not a film I intend to watch again.

AndyK

« Reply #2232 on: 05 March, 2012, 07:59:32 am »
The Big Lebowski.

The Dude - still - abides.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #2233 on: 05 March, 2012, 09:10:40 am »
Drive.

Much darker and more violent, and with less driving than I expected.
I don't think Ryan Gosling really pulled off the main character but the rest of the cast were good. Overall it was enjoyable and the soundtrack was great.
a great mind thinks alike

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2234 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:47:58 am »
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.  Much better than that pile of tosh with Gene Wilder.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2235 on: 05 March, 2012, 02:56:50 pm »
Clash Of The Titans (2010)

Only because it was on the telly yesterday afternoon and my son wanted to watch it. I'm a huge fan of the Harryhausen version, which I saw in the cinema when it first came out when I was about 8 or 9, so this had a lot to live up to, but I remember the universally bad reviews when it came out so expectations were not high.

And indeed it was mostly awful. I could probably be here all day writing about what was wrong with it, but I'll stick to a few of the most serious problems...

First off, Andromeda was sidelined as a fairly inconsequential character, so you didn't really care whether she was sacrificed or not, and they randomly introduced Io as the love interest instead.

Second, they changed the role of Calibos in the story so he became little more than Angry Dude Who Goes Around Hitting People At The Behest Of Hades. Which he didn't do very well.

Third, Pegasus wasn't even given a story, he just flew down out of nowhere at the appropriate moment and Perseus got on him and flew off.

Fourth, they just made all the monsters stupidly big - the scorpions were ridiculously out of proportion, and then they solved the problem of the impossibility of killing such massive monsters by having the Djinn turn up (in an ancient Greek myth!) and magically taming them. As for the Kraken... completely stupid. Bigger is not always better, you know.

Fifth, Sam Worthington.

Sixth, Bubo from the 1981 film was used as a silly throwaway joke, as if to say, "Look, this is the quality of special effects they had in those days! Lolz!" The irony being that the special effects from the earlier film are in many ways far superior to the newer film.

Really, the whole thing was just a tedious, garbled mess.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #2236 on: 05 March, 2012, 03:18:43 pm »
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory.  Much better than that pile of tosh with Gene Wilder.

Seems rather like comparing a poke in the eye with a kick in the balls.

« Reply #2237 on: 05 March, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »
Immortal (or sometimes Immortel aka Ad Vitam).  I can't quite decide whether I like this or not.  It's rather oddly done with a mixture of real actors and not terribly good CGI actors.  The backdrops are impressive, more so given the film is eight years old now, so was a relatively early film to use entirely CGI backgrounds, but the film is more than a little confusing.  Apparently it's based on a cartoon, but isn't supposed to be that close to the original.

Oddly, somehow the entire film is up on YouTube in one lump.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/thxMC2A3_vk&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/thxMC2A3_vk&rel=1</a>
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2238 on: 05 March, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »
I like it - the CGI-ish bits are annoying, tho'.

It's all style.

Based on the work of Enki Bilal

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2239 on: 06 March, 2012, 03:25:56 am »
Real Steel 2012.

Loved it :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

LindaG

« Reply #2240 on: 06 March, 2012, 05:49:43 pm »
Deep End, with Jane Asher.  Plus a superb cameo from Diana Dors and a soundtrack by Cat Stevens.  A real period piece from 1970 which (as a special treat) begins with close-ups of a steel Falcon and its lugwork.  That's not relevant to the plot at all (except in an oblique and symbolic sense) but I thought some parishioners might be interested  ;)

A dark film of menace and sadness and sexual power, I was absorbed by it from start to finish.  They couldn't make it now, but it provoked some discussion chez linda/crusty about how far we've really travelled, and not travelled since 1970 when it comes to the representations of women, and femininity, and femaleness, in film.

Interesting.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #2241 on: 06 March, 2012, 09:47:54 pm »
They couldn't make it now, but it provoked some discussion chez linda/crusty about how far we've really travelled, and not travelled since 1970 when it comes to the representations of women, and femininity, and femaleness, in film.

Interesting.

I don't know the film, but the discussion is familiar. The developments in the representations of women in film are puny. The exceptions come easily to mind because they are exceptional.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2242 on: 07 March, 2012, 12:59:19 pm »
This might have been mentioned before, but the Bechdel Test is a good indicator of attitudes towards women in the movies.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2243 on: 07 March, 2012, 01:28:07 pm »
Fascinating.
Getting there...

« Reply #2244 on: 10 March, 2012, 08:33:51 am »
Tombstone.  Excellent Western but I'd say they could never make a film as extraordinary as Wyatt Earp's real life.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jakob

« Reply #2245 on: 13 March, 2012, 09:40:32 pm »
Hugo. To be honest, I had little interest until it won the VFX oscar, which made me check it out..and regretted that I hadn't done so earlier. It's really a homage to the early film makers and I for one, was very inspired.
I think in todays production environment it's easy to forget the 'product' at the end of it and I certainly ended up with renewed energy to create illusions and other visual wizardry.

« Reply #2246 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:19:58 am »
I've half-watched a few movies out here in India. It's been remarkably hard to find a Western movie without Jason fucking Statham in it. I did watch him in the appalling Death Race.

Likewise, I couldn't watch to the finish of Twilight, or Cop Out. I fell asleep in the middle of Godzilla, which I do like (it's a bit long, mainly cos it tries to be a monster movie and a New York movie, and though it does both pretty well, it could have had half an hour taken out of it).

One movie I really enjoyed (even though it was very badly dubbed) was The Legend of the Fist: Return of Chen Zhen. A movie about a Chinese fighting superhero battling the perfidious Japanese in pre-WW2 Shanghai. It looked fabulous. Shanghai and the fight scenes were beautifully shot. It had an entertaining villain, a story of doomed love, and bridges. Great stuff.

AndyK

« Reply #2247 on: 15 March, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
Arlington Road. Superb performances from Jeff Bridges and Tim Robbins. Chilling in its plausibility.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2248 on: 15 March, 2012, 11:37:31 pm »
John Carter. I awaited this one eagerly because of my childhood addiction to the books, and I wasn't too disappointed.
(click to show/hide)
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2249 on: 16 March, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »
John Carter. I awaited this one eagerly because of my childhood addiction to the books, and I wasn't too disappointed.
(click to show/hide)

That's heartening - I had this firmly in the "Will be awful" camp.