Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 953156 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7825 on: 26 January, 2018, 08:08:05 am »
Quai des Orfèvres, a Parisian krimi that came out in the year of my birth. Back then Parisians still spoke at 400 syllables/minute, about four times faster than the English - following it took a bit of an effort.  A grimy little story revolving around variety theatre, a rising star, a lascivious ancient and a jealous husband, with a phlegmatic cop slowly picking them all apart. Some bloody wonderful singing, but no decent views of Paris, which we were hoping for.

ETA: The name  of Peter Seller's Inspector Clouseau could well be a nod to Henri-Georges Clouzot, who screen-wrote, produced & directed this film.  And the theatre used in the film looks very like the favourite theatre of Louis Jouvet, the male lead. It's now named for him.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7826 on: 28 January, 2018, 06:11:28 pm »
Valerian and the whatever. Now that was a mess. Not sure why the leads where about ten years old and had all the acting ability of house bricks. It might have looked pretty on the big screen, but I only the benefits of a seat back screen.

The Dark Tower. I confess I never the books, so I mostly had no idea what was going on and it didn't really get around to telling me. I did sleep through the middle which didn't seem to cause any problems. Possibly I skipped some big exposé but I suspect not.

Alien: Covenant. Well, you know what I think, but for laughs. It's actually a movie that's worse the second time around, which I would have said previously wasn't possible. But it was. Mind you that little dancing alien that bursts out (if you remember those tedious dancing flowers, that's it) still raises a titter. I mean you went from the ultimate scary HR Giger xenomorphs in Alien to, erm, that. WTF.

The Hitman's Bodyguard. I quite enjoyed this. Samuel Jackson says 'motherfucker' a lot, and let's face, no one says 'motherfucker' quite as a well as SLJ.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7827 on: 28 January, 2018, 08:12:00 pm »
Birdman, was on the beeb last night.  How that never won an Oscar I have no idea, what a great film.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7828 on: 28 January, 2018, 08:49:06 pm »
Sleepless In Seattle

I've never seen it before but Mark Kermode recommended it as his TV movie of the week last week so I recorded it. Proper Sunday afternoon kind of film. I like Tom Hanks. I like Meg Ryan. And it's a good script.

One problem.

It's a quirk of the Sony Pictures channel that they break their film broadcasts into two parts, with a five-minute news thing in between, so if you're recording a film to watch later, you have to make sure you record both parts...

Oh well, I have a hunch I can guess how it ends.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #7829 on: 28 January, 2018, 09:29:23 pm »
Sleepless In Seattle

He falls asleep.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7830 on: 28 January, 2018, 11:35:19 pm »
He gets an email.

Oh, on reflection, that might be a different film.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7831 on: 29 January, 2018, 08:34:21 am »
He gets an email.

Oh, on reflection, that might be a different film.

That was on ITV yesterday afternoon. After watching the first half of one film, I could have changed channel and watched the second half of a different film with the same leads.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #7832 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:41:12 am »
Sleepless In Seattle

He falls asleep.

Isn't that the one where Dustin Hoffman discovers a cure for insomnia?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7833 on: 29 January, 2018, 09:47:26 am »
Been watching "Homeland" on Netflix. Claire Danes' mugging is ludicrous.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #7834 on: 29 January, 2018, 01:03:35 pm »
Lion. The wife was weeping, I mainly browsed the internet.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7835 on: 29 January, 2018, 01:23:09 pm »
It says a lot about sumfink or other that when you Google "lion" the first page & a bit of results are about the film, Nicole Kidman, films about adoption, you name it. Panthera leo isn't mentioned until halfway down the second page.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7836 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:00:12 pm »
Recently back from the 'Last Jedi'. Didn't make yesterday's 'first cinema opening in Stornoway on the Sabbath' - it was sold out by the time I realised it was happening  :demon:

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7837 on: 29 January, 2018, 10:04:09 pm »
Down with that kind of thing!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7838 on: 29 January, 2018, 11:29:38 pm »
Recently back from the 'Last Jedi'. Didn't make yesterday's 'first cinema opening in Stornoway on the Sabbath' - it was sold out by the time I realised it was happening  :demon:

Bum. That’s a big fail  ;D ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7839 on: 30 January, 2018, 12:16:13 am »

Bum. That’s a big fail  ;D ;D

Big fail - I could have worn my 'Atheist Army' T-shirt

hillbilly

« Reply #7840 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:32:53 pm »
Mountain

Documentary about being amongs mountains and the effect they have on humans. 

Despite the over reliance on tracking, aerial and time lapse shots, it was a very beautiful film.  Stunningly so in some parts.  The voiceover was a little earnest (to be expected given the words were written by the travel writer Robert MacFarlane, who has a very wordy style that I find overbearing) but the score was very well chosen.

« Reply #7841 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:01:32 am »
Mountain

Documentary about being amongs mountains and the effect they have on humans. 

Despite the over reliance on tracking, aerial and time lapse shots, it was a very beautiful film.  Stunningly so in some parts.  The voiceover was a little earnest (to be expected given the words were written by the travel writer Robert MacFarlane, who has a very wordy style that I find overbearing) but the score was very well chosen.

I shall have to watch that. Love being on the mountains and I would hate to move away from them.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7842 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:02:41 am »
First episode of the latest Montalbano series.  It was like a cardboard replica of the earlier series: bloody awful direction, wooden acting, boring story about uninteresting people and terrible resolution, which at least had the merit of hiding the actors' wrinkles. I'm wondering if the missus got ripped off on Amazon. Bah.

hillbilly

« Reply #7843 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:58:01 pm »
Elle or as I will call it, 50 Nuances de Grey.  I suspect it is a male rape fantasy film, given the complicit overtures that run through the film.  Powerful central performance, but a vaguely uncomfortable watch.

Weiner Documentary about a politician who tries to rehabilitate himself after a scandal (sharing dirty pics) but his human weakness gets in the way.  An excellent human story, highly recommended.

I also watched a Fench film called “Metamorphoses”.  You can thank me for saving my you the bother, as it was pretty poor.  Basically Ovid’s tales in a modern setting.  Aimed for depth but I found it shallow.

« Reply #7844 on: 06 February, 2018, 01:24:17 pm »
Den of Thieves

It reminded me somewhat of 'Heat' besides which in every way except the shoot-outs it was a pallid imitation.  A pity because hiding inside it was a not unclever idea struggling to communicate.

Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #7845 on: 08 February, 2018, 07:31:00 am »
The Post, Steven Spielberg's film about the publishing of the Pentagon Papers in 1971 by the NY Times and the Washington Post. As the title suggests, most of the film revolves around the role played by the Washington Post and Katherine Graham.

Altho' in many ways it seemed as much about now than then.   An excellent film altho' I would also guess that an American would get more out of it than most Brits. 
Katherine Graham's rapid learning curve was very well portrayed, I thought.

While entertaining enough, I thought it felt rushed and overly targeted at the current US administration. Streep was borderline terrible and the fact that she got an oscar noms for this just undermines the Academy.
Unlike "All the Presidents Men", this movie will be culturally irrelevant in a couple of years.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7846 on: 08 February, 2018, 08:17:56 am »
Seven Psychopaths.  Not bad at all.

« Reply #7847 on: 08 February, 2018, 09:36:36 am »
The Post, Steven Spielberg's film about the publishing of the Pentagon Papers in 1971 by the NY Times and the Washington Post. As the title suggests, most of the film revolves around the role played by the Washington Post and Katherine Graham.

Altho' in many ways it seemed as much about now than then.   An excellent film altho' I would also guess that an American would get more out of it than most Brits. 
Katherine Graham's rapid learning curve was very well portrayed, I thought.

While entertaining enough, I thought it felt rushed and overly targeted at the current US administration. Streep was borderline terrible and the fact that she got an oscar noms for this just undermines the Academy.
Unlike "All the Presidents Men", this movie will be culturally irrelevant in a couple of years.

The Post Is a Perfectly Timed, Crackling Newspaper Movie — and a Meryl Streep Showcase

It isn’t necessary to know the circumstances under which the new Steven Spielberg–Meryl Streep–Tom Hanks journalism drama The Post was produced, but it makes the movie seem more immediate — more of a muckraker, and even more fun. The film came together very fast, while Spielberg was basically sitting around ... He was no doubt feeling especially useless — as many of us were — watching the brand-new Trump administration reject the media’s demonstrably true facts in favor of so-called “alternative facts” prompted by the commander-in-chief’s Il Duce–like need to be venerated — and, later, far removed from “the Russia thing.”..

Nixon, [is] seen in silhouette in the window of the Oval Office railing on the phone at his subordinates. His words are vulgar, gangster-ish, too outlandish to be credible — and straight from the Nixon tapes. (That’s Nixon’s voice.)
The thought of what’s being said in the Oval Office at this very moment is enough to thank God — and Spielberg — for The Post.

Critix!  Waddatheykno?  ;)

But yeah, hopefully it will have served its purpose .. when? Couldn't be soon enough.
Move Faster and Bake Things

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7848 on: 08 February, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »
Trump's only been in office a year - can Hollywood actually make a movie (from script-to-premiere) that quickly these days??

(I don't usually watch this sort of thing, but I've never *not* enjoyed a Hanks movie, so I'm sure I'll watch it one day :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuzzy

« Reply #7849 on: 08 February, 2018, 01:35:01 pm »
Murder in the first, a film set in the late 30's about an inmate of Alcatraz and his trial for a prison murder. Looseley based on fact.

I enjoyed it. Kevin Bacon plays a good unhinged inmate. Gary Oldman at his bad guy bets. Christian Slater? Has been better. R Lee Ermey as a judge? How can he tell numbnuts to get their shit together if he is The Honorable.... ?  ;D