Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 925983 times)

Chris S

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #350 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:36:33 pm »
The men who stare at goats.

Watched it whilst eating dinner. Bad idea - definite choking hazard. Very funny film.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #351 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:49:50 pm »
The men who stare at goats.

Watched it whilst eating dinner. Bad idea - definite choking hazard. Very funny film.
Yup there was a few points that I pissed myself but a bit bizarre too
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #352 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:08:10 am »
The Disappearance of Alice Creed.

Big-budget blockbuster - not. Mrs B loved it.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #353 on: 04 May, 2010, 11:39:21 am »
Genova. Don't bother. Superbly shot, well acted, pointless film.

Brokeback Mountain - saw it at cinema, watched again on DVD. Better the 2nd time round, Heath is really great.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #354 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:26:26 am »
Went to see two films this weekend; Hot tub time machine  :-[ and Four Lions.

« Reply #355 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:33:45 am »
I'll admit that I hated it but am genuinely curious what you got from it.

I just watched it as well, and I think it's a good movie.  The basic storyline is a bit old hat, it's been done to death on the Earth, essentially big business coming in and and destroying some habitat whilst the noble savage fights against them.  The bod being brought in to help the baddies, and then realising that he's on the wrong side (with the help of an attractive girl) has also been done multiple times.  Having said that the storyline for that is about as good as you could hope for, although inevitably the "baddies" are a bit two dimensional, and don't really have an complex motivation.

The graphics and concepts were done very well however.  It's very easy to become fully immersed in the imagery (even without the 3D), and forget that the vast majority of the filming was done on a computer, and even when people have been acting in person, that probably just made the cgi even harder (ie lots of motion control camera rigs etc).  The animals and machinery are very well done, and look about as real as you would expect, although pretty alien.

It was a little disappointing that the intelligent aliens actually weren't very alien, essentially bipedal with mannerisms very similar to humans.  Given that on this planet, the only species which shows it's teeth to indicate happiness or humour is humans, the likelihood of another alien species using exactly the same mannerisms is small.  Of course all of this was done deliberately to make it easier for the audience to empathise with the Na'vi.  Likewise giving the female Na'vi breasts was a deliberate move to make them more human like, since the Na'vi wouldn't have breasts given their physiology and genetic heritage!  It would have been interesting to have given them six limbs, as some of the animals had, but even in movies like Bugs they didn't do that, since it made the "people" less anthropomorphic.

It was quite impressive that the language they speak is "real".  They actually got a linguist to invent it, and if you look at the Wikipedia entry it's actually pretty complex (far more so than I can understand!).  The wanted something which was different from any existing language, but which both the Na'vi and the humans could speak.  I guess it also has many anomalous irregularities, since some of the mistakes in speech that were made in the film have been brought into the language, so that they are no longer mistakes!

So overall I liked it, the story's a bit old, but done pretty well, and with exceptional "filming".
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #356 on: 10 May, 2010, 11:37:58 am »
Withnail and I :thumbsup:  Recorded off the telly a few weeks back.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

red marley

« Reply #357 on: 10 May, 2010, 01:13:03 pm »
Went to see [...] Four Lions.

Saw this too at the weekend. Very, very funny (helped by a packed audience who would laugh at anything). Note quite as biting as I'd hope from Chris Morris though. Message of the film:

There are two types of people in the world: Stupid people, and stupid people who manipulate even more stupid people.

« Reply #358 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:54:34 am »
Harry Brown

It seemed to be a compendium of people's worst fears of the violence and depression of inner city living.  Nevertheless, if you avoid taking it as a documentary of every day life in such parts of Britain it was not a bad film and I felt that Michael Caine and others played their parts well (the female policewoman was a bit feeble which seemed unlikely in real life!)
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #359 on: 11 May, 2010, 10:15:44 am »
Four Lions, on Saturday.

I warned Mrs B that Chris Morris is known for comedy of the vicious variety, because The Day Today & Brass Eye were before she moved to this country & she'd had no exposure to them.

She loved it. I was a little less enthusiastic, but enjoyed it. The characters were excellent parodies, for the most part.

Mrs B is now enthusing about the superiority of low-budget (or in the case of Alice Creed, almost non-existent budget) British films over Hollywood blockbusters.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #360 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
Bad Lieutenant

Werner Warthog Starring Nicholas Cage

(click to show/hide)
It is simpler than it looks.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #361 on: 13 May, 2010, 12:32:03 am »
Guadalcanal Diary - WWII Pacific War flag waver, although like other WWII flag wavers made during the war, a lot grittier in places than the war movies that followed after the war.  Nice early performance from Anthony Quinn and some great ensemble parts from 40s character actors.

Would be great as the first part of a double bill with Starship Troopers (the book of ST being very much influenced by the US/Japan WWII theatre and the film deliberately referencing wartime cinema and the 'why we fight' newsreels).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #362 on: 13 May, 2010, 10:27:11 pm »
The Men Who Stare at Goats

'Don't eat the eggs!' PMSL.

Highly recommended. Obviously some characters are composites but you've just GOT to see the Extras for the geezer who was the model for the Jeff Bridges character . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #363 on: 13 May, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »
Hot Fuzz.

An all time favourite of mine.

"If you wanna be a big cop in a small town, f**k off up the model village!"

;D

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #364 on: 13 May, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »
Hot Fuzz.

An all time favourite of mine.

"If you wanna be a big cop in a small town, f**k off up the model village!"

;D

'Little hand says it's time to go to work!'

'Bring the noise . . . !'

'Oh! F**k off, Grasshopper!'

There's sh**loads of 'em. Brilliant!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #365 on: 15 May, 2010, 09:36:22 pm »
The Boat That Rocked.
The soundtrack is terrific & Bill Nighy does  8) really well

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #366 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:19:19 pm »

A bona fide classic.

Edit: Still thinking about it this morning and pondering the possibility that it is more relevant now than ever. Marvellous film. But terrifying. I want to get the book out and read it right away - one of those I never got round to before for no excusable reason.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #367 on: 21 May, 2010, 12:28:57 am »
Kick Ass

It's absolutely superhero-tastic.

The best superhero film I've ever seen.

Chloe Moretz is brilliant as the tough as nails, 11 year-old, "Hit Girl" - "OK you c**ts! Let's see what you can do now"! ..as she chops and decapitates her way through a horde of viilains quicker than Bruce Lee in his prime.

Move over Batman, Hit-Girl is here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #368 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:52:49 pm »
The eclectic assortment of short films by Deaf film-makers that was day 2 of Deaffest 2010.  Bizarre, moving, hilarious.  And the concentration headache from stretching my piss-poor BSL skills to their limit goes nicely with the one I already had from hayfever.   :D

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #369 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:00:40 am »
No Country for Old Men.  Best film I've seen in a long time.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #370 on: 23 May, 2010, 08:10:11 am »
Since it was on TV and I was wheelbuilding, The Mummy.  Brilliant effects, reasonable storyline, utterly ruined by John Hannah.  No need to make it as a comedy.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #371 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:20:38 am »
Because I've just bought an ED-209 T-shirt from "Last Exit to Nowhere" (Shameless Plug), I felt I had to rummage through my VHS collection for Robocop, taped off the telly a long time back.

Some great quotes:
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
"Dead or alive, you're coming with me"
"6000 SUX - A Great American Tradition (8.2 mpg)"
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #372 on: 23 May, 2010, 09:40:27 am »
We watched 'Sherlock Holmes' a few nights ago, I thought I would be put off by the high action re-make but I thought it was very well done. Law and Downey Jr are great together.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #373 on: 23 May, 2010, 11:28:47 pm »
Because I've just bought an ED-209 T-shirt from "Last Exit to Nowhere" (Shameless Plug), I felt I had to rummage through my VHS collection for Robocop, taped off the telly a long time back.

Some great quotes:
"I'd buy that for a dollar"
"Dead or alive, you're coming with me"
"6000 SUX - A Great American Tradition (8.2 mpg)"

"You have 15 seconds to comply."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #374 on: 24 May, 2010, 05:34:25 am »
Sherlock Holmes here too.  We enjoyed it greatly.  The boys especially like the slow motion violence scenes.