Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926297 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #400 on: 05 June, 2010, 09:53:41 am »
Watched District 9 last night.  Amazing film.  I recalled at times  ;D

Zoidburg

« Reply #401 on: 05 June, 2010, 08:38:40 pm »
Way Of The Gun is a gem.

Wild bunch-tastic. :thumbsup:

« Reply #402 on: 05 June, 2010, 10:13:59 pm »
District 9 was the best film of last year, I reckon. :thumbsup:

Just watched The Way of the Gun which was ok. Good action scenes (that is, realistic techniques rather than flying through the air cabbying off rounds from your bottomless magazine) and most impressively - Ryan Phillipe isn't totally punchable all the way through. Incredible! ;D

It certainly was different and not what I was expecting which was really refreshing.
Some of the 'wow' factor such as the fingernails and teeth and even the cat food were fantastic.
I particularly liked the special effects of the alien weapons.  The bullet catcher was an amazing idea.

« Reply #403 on: 06 June, 2010, 01:09:12 am »
The Prestige. I was bored half way through, but then it livened up.
Yesterday we watched Taxi 4. By the end of the 4th I was just about tuning into the fast marseillais French.

« Reply #404 on: 06 June, 2010, 02:56:53 pm »
National Treasure : Book of Secrets.  Good silly escapist fun, although rather too many amazing secrets hidden where any number of people could have stumbled across them!

It always makes me chuckle when they have these fantastic mechanisms, in films like this, and Indiana Jones, where nobody has done maintenance for decades or centuries, and yet they still work!

... and why does Nicholas Cage always get the girl, he looks a bit strange to me, and often tends to act like a jerk. :-\

(Still on iPlayer until 4-35 tomorrow afternoon).
Actually, it is rocket science.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #405 on: 06 June, 2010, 04:02:46 pm »
Run Spot, Run - with my son :)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #406 on: 06 June, 2010, 10:31:16 pm »
Looking for Eric - full of collar-up Gallic magnificence.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor
« Reply #407 on: 06 June, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »
Secret life of bees.

Reasonable feelgood film.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #408 on: 06 June, 2010, 11:42:50 pm »
Double header on telly last night - Batman Begins followed by Hallam Foe.

I really enjoyed Batman Begins first time I saw it, but this time I felt decidedly underwhelmed. I also found the extreme violence somewhat distasteful. I know it's par for the course, but I suspect I'm becoming more sensitive to glamourised depictions of violence.

Hallam Foe was reasonably engaging but ultimately unsatisfying. I can't think how else to put it. It just didn't ring true. The quirkiness was all rather contrived. Pretentious, even. For some reason, I thought it was a Lynne Ramsay film (and it did remind me of Morvern Callar in some respects) but not so according to imdb. Maybe it would have been better if it had been one of hers.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #409 on: 07 June, 2010, 09:42:22 am »
Fitzcarraldo.  A film about a madman, directed by a madman and starring a madman :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #410 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:25:15 am »
Little Miss Sunshine

Funnier watching it for the second time, knowing what was coming.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #411 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:52:38 am »
Fitzcarraldo.  A film about a madman, directed by a madman and starring a madman :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WERNER HERZOG!!! Man could even kill a damn narwhal just by looking at it sideways. Mother****er!

Rapples

« Reply #412 on: 07 June, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
A Civil Action, on Film4

Surprisingly watchable, as I'd never heard of it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #413 on: 07 June, 2010, 11:23:06 am »

WERNER HERZOG!!! Man could even kill a damn narwhal just by looking at it sideways. Mother****er!

Which is partly why I got very cross with the video wossname a couple of months ago when it decided that the last five minutes of Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes wasn't worthy of its attention  >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #414 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:44:38 pm »
Which is partly why I got very cross with the video wossname a couple of months ago when it decided that the last five minutes of Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes wasn't worthy of its attention  >:(

What a film! May be my favourite of his, although there are so many great ones: Cobra Verde, the aforementioned Fitzcarraldo, his version of Nosferatu...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #415 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »
Bloke lures girl into bedroom then leaves room and sends other bloke in to fuck her, the joke being that cos the lights are off, she won't notice it's the wrong man.

Hilarious. ::-)

d.

Except it doesn't happen...

It was also indicative of what is seen (and may not have been the actualite) as being the essence of the 'Swinging 60s'.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #416 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:46:04 pm »
National Treasure : Book of Secrets.  Good silly escapist fun, although rather too many amazing secrets hidden where any number of people could have stumbled across them!

It always makes me chuckle when they have these fantastic mechanisms, in films like this, and Indiana Jones, where nobody has done maintenance for decades or centuries, and yet they still work!

... and why does Nicholas Cage always get the girl, he looks a bit strange to me, and often tends to act like a jerk. :-\

(Still on iPlayer until 4-35 tomorrow afternoon).

I watched that the other day as well....  :D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #417 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:54:29 pm »
Which is partly why I got very cross with the video wossname a couple of months ago when it decided that the last five minutes of Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes wasn't worthy of its attention  >:(

What a film! May be my favourite of his, although there are so many great ones: Cobra Verde, the aforementioned Fitzcarraldo, his version of Nosferatu...

I prefer his documentaries. Wodaabe, Herdsmen of the Sun, is a good example.
      YouTube
            - Wodaabe

A box set would guarantee endless downbeat nights in.
Werner Herzog - Documentaries and Shorts : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #418 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:11:08 pm »
I prefer his documentaries. Wodaabe, Herdsmen of the Sun, is a good example. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVI914vMHcQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tVI914vMHcQ&rel=1</a>

Oh, yeah, they're great too. If you want to be very depressed read some of the comments on that YouTube clip

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #419 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:15:10 pm »
We watched "The Book of Eli" last night.  :thumbsup:

For some reason though I just kept getting the urge to play Fallout 3 .
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #420 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:38:06 pm »
Shutter Island

There is no way on this earth you could getter a bigger pile of pants, not even if you combined the output of the Jockey, CK and Haggard factories.....

That is definately far too long a period of my life I will never ever get back again...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #421 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:51:49 pm »

... and after each triggering they reset themselves for another go. That's bloody clever, that.

... and why does Nicholas Cage always get the girl,

Duh! Because he's famous.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #422 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:53:15 pm »
I prefer his documentaries. Wodaabe, Herdsmen of the Sun, is a good example. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tVI914vMHcQ&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/tVI914vMHcQ&rel=1</a>

Oh, yeah, they're great too. If you want to be very depressed read some of the comments on that YouTube clip

Most revolve around the music choice, which I can understand. It's difficult to know if he just chose it because he would have no copyright problems or if it's supposed to mean something. Wenders is similar in setting a downbeat mood early on, maybe it's just a warning to fidgety viewers to turn off now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/b44paD20O3M&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/b44paD20O3M&rel=1</a>

« Reply #423 on: 07 June, 2010, 03:55:14 pm »
On telly yesterday: Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #424 on: 07 June, 2010, 04:04:17 pm »
Except it doesn't happen...

OK, "comedy attempted rape scene". That makes it quite all right, of course.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."