Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 942422 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #825 on: 21 December, 2010, 12:39:07 pm »
Ironman 2.

Made the first 'Ironman' film look like Shakespeare...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #826 on: 21 December, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »
Ironman 2.

Made the first 'Ironman' film look like Shakespeare...

I totally agree  :thumbsup:

« Reply #827 on: 22 December, 2010, 02:02:00 am »
I just saw 'Taking Sides' on the TV for the second time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Sides_(film)
I still don't know what to make of it. I enjoyed it though

« Reply #828 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:06:45 am »
Watched Tora! Tora Tora!

It was on Film4 on Saturday, I think, so likely to be repeated.

Very good perspective of a) how incompetent the septics were in the lead up to Pearl Harbour and b) how reluctant many Japanese were to enter into a war against the septics.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #829 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:20:50 am »
Hopefully the septics were rebuilt afterwards and thus worked better?  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #830 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:28:21 am »
Hot Fuzz.

What pile of mindless idiocy. I laughed, sometimes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Nightfly

« Reply #831 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:12:39 pm »
Lawrence of Arabia last Christmas. I'm due to watch it again some time on Christmas Day. Then NorthbyNorthWest on Boxing Day afternoon/evening.

LEE

« Reply #832 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »
"Control"

A bio-pic of Ian Curtis and Joy Division.

Despite being the perfect age and location (at the time) to be a Joy Division fan I never even heard of them until after Ian Curtis was dead (at 23) I thought this film was a real insight into the period (I worked in Macclesfield at precidely the time the film was documenting).

Exceptional lead performance to the point I've just checked Youtube to compare the actor's stage performance with the real Ian Curtis, it really is superb.

Highly recommended to anyone remotely interested in, or aware of, the origins of the Madchester music scene.

"On the 6th day God created Manchester"

7/10 on the LEE scale

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #833 on: 23 December, 2010, 12:42:09 am »
I am no longer surprised that cinema is losing its audience.

Except it isn't.

"In the nine years from 2000, cinema admissions have averaged 162.3m a year, up from 119.2m in the 1990s and just 77.5m in the 1980s.Despite the upward trend there are signs that growth is stagnating, with 2002 still the best year in modern times."

Report from last year.

I'm just going by what I saw

Repeat after me: "There is at least one sheep in Scotland, at least one side of which is black."
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

mr endon

« Reply #834 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:15:27 am »
I've not seen the films for a while now but I may dig out Part 1 and re-watch the death of Boromir chapter.  I think it's a simply stunning piece of cinema..

Watch again. Watch the Uruk-Hai uber orcs racing towards the melee. They swarm over some ruins, down a flight of stone steps, but one extra in his orc suit isn't so light on his pins. My gran could make a better fist of purposeful descending of stairs, even after her stroke.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #835 on: 23 December, 2010, 04:37:34 am »
Watched The Commitments.  It's just brilliant.
Getting there...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #836 on: 23 December, 2010, 09:28:13 am »
Logan's Run.

:thumbsup: Jenny Agutter

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #837 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:26:29 am »
'Let's take our clothes off before they freeze to us'
Getting there...

« Reply #838 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:36:11 am »
Taking Sides. A film about Willhelm Furtwangler and the de-Nazification process in post war Germany. I've now seen it a couple of times and I disagree with the general view of Harvey Keitel's central performance. A very good international cast.
Istvan Szabo's Taking Sides: the true story of Wilhelm Furtw&auml;ngler starring Harvey Keitel and Stellan Skarsg&aring;rd

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #839 on: 23 December, 2010, 11:54:14 am »

Except it isn't.

"In the nine years from 2000, cinema admissions have averaged 162.3m a year, up from 119.2m in the 1990s and just 77.5m in the 1980s.Despite the upward trend there are signs that growth is stagnating, with 2002 still the best year in modern times."

Report from last year.
I don't have any figures to hand, but IIRC the gains are mainly in teenage boys. Hence the mulitplexes show nothing but teenage boy fodder.

If you own your own place, watcing a DVD with loved one is quite appealing; if you live with your parents, escaping to the flicks with your mates is more attractive.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Clandy

« Reply #840 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:22:15 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #841 on: 23 December, 2010, 01:28:02 pm »

Except it isn't.

Report from last year.
I don't have any figures to hand, but IIRC the gains are mainly in teenage boys. Hence the mulitplexes show nothing but teenage boy fodder.

If you own your own place, watcing a DVD with loved one is quite appealing; if you live with your parents, escaping to the flicks with your mates is more attractive.

Getting youth to engage in a supposedly dying medium is a triumph, surely.
It is simpler than it looks.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #842 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:49:56 pm »
I watched 'The Other Boleyn Girl' last night. I quite enjoyed the Philippa Gregory book, so I tuned in. It was shockingly awful.

« Reply #843 on: 23 December, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »
I saw Eyes Wide Shut last night. It was an ITV2 version, so I suspect cut a little, though it's been 10 years since I first saw it.

Dr Strangelove is pure genius. EWS is pure shite. Sorry Stanley, Kieslowski bowed out in a much better way than you.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #844 on: 23 December, 2010, 04:07:16 pm »
I watched 'The Other Boleyn Girl' last night. I quite enjoyed the Philippa Gregory book, so I tuned in. It was shockingly awful.

yes, we watched that too.  I gave up and went to bed after 20 minutes, Mrs Mike stayed up out of stubbornness and hated it.

« Reply #845 on: 23 December, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »
"The Brain that wouldn't die" on Showcase (channel 201).

B+W fifties horror starring a telepathic head in a baking tray. What's not to love?

Chris S

« Reply #846 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:06:17 pm »
Armageddon. What a roller-coaster ride of Complete Bollocks and One Liners that is  :thumbsup:.

Clandy

« Reply #847 on: 24 December, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »
300… haven't seen that much homo-eroticism since the volleyball scene in Top Gun.

« Reply #848 on: 24 December, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »
300… haven't seen that much homo-eroticism since the volleyball scene in Top Gun.

There is a minor cult for setting 300 to It's Raining Men. I encountered it because I thought of doing a treatment of the wet PBP footage, honest. This is a short version.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ONRUwwLrAa0&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ONRUwwLrAa0&rel=1</a>

« Reply #849 on: 24 December, 2010, 01:01:43 pm »
Armageddon. What a roller-coaster ride of Complete Bollocks and One Liners that is  :thumbsup:.

I watched that again.  Steve Buscemi is a bit of a hoot  'Guess what guys, it's time to embrace the horror!'
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson