Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941709 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1075 on: 04 February, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »
Mrs B thought it was very Japanese. Lots of unspoken emotion. She liked it. So did I, but I wasn't sure she would, so was pleased.

Interesting. Mrs FM (also Japanese) thought it was a racist and ignorant heap of crap
I didn't say she thought it was an accurate or sympathetic portrayal of Japan, but the Japan of the film is mostly background, an alien environment to point up the loneliness of the characters. Its strangeness is exaggerated to enhance that effect.

I wonder if the reception in Japan (& from Mrs FM) is partly based on resentment at a foreign film mocking things Japanese, even if their own opinion of the things mocked is low. For example, the ridiculous TV show was a parody, but one Mrs B greatly enjoyed. There are such silly shows, & Mrs B is full of scorn for them, & thinks they deserve to have the piss taken out of them. She thought the parody showed a keen understanding of the more ludicrous aspects of such shows. Some other Japanese people might react differently.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1076 on: 04 February, 2011, 08:32:30 pm »
Mrs B thought it was very Japanese. Lots of unspoken emotion. She liked it. So did I, but I wasn't sure she would, so was pleased.

Interesting. Mrs FM (also Japanese) thought it was a racist and ignorant heap of crap
I didn't say she thought it was an accurate or sympathetic portrayal of Japan, but the Japan of the film is mostly background, an alien environment to point up the loneliness of the characters. Its strangeness is exaggerated to enhance that effect.

I wonder if the reception in Japan (& from Mrs FM) is partly based on resentment at a foreign film mocking things Japanese, even if their own opinion of the things mocked is low. For example, the ridiculous TV show was a parody, but one Mrs B greatly enjoyed. There are such silly shows, & Mrs B is full of scorn for them, & thinks they deserve to have the piss taken out of them. She thought the parody showed a keen understanding of the more ludicrous aspects of such shows. Some other Japanese people might react differently.

I think that the cultural context and the fact that it is just background is actually the important thing. My wife says that there is plenty of understanding of the ridiculousness of TV in Japan (and indeed many of the shows are ironic and self-mocking anyway in ways that many 'look at those crazy Japanese'-type commentators don't appear to get). In this case, all of the film is simply stereotyped exotic walpaper, not so much that it's 'gaijin' doing the mocking, but that what is being mocked is not even that important, or that it is only important in how it serves the egos of the white main characters. This BTW is not unique to LiT, it is a really common trope in many westerners' stories about their experiences in Japan, or indeed other 'exotic' locales.

« Reply #1077 on: 04 February, 2011, 11:09:25 pm »

To be honest, Bill Murray sleepwalks through films these days. He doesn't act, he just does 'Bill Murray'. That said, I thought this worked in The Life Aquatic and Broken Flowers more than Lost in Translation.

Probably for Bill murray it's just Groundhog Day all over again....

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #1078 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:53:57 am »
The bone collector - in which Angelina actually gets to show she can act.

A good film, but loses it a bit at the end.

« Reply #1079 on: 05 February, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »
Try Girl, Interrupted.

She's very impressive in that, as is Winona Rider.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1080 on: 05 February, 2011, 07:19:35 pm »
Try Girl, Interrupted.

She's very impressive in that, as is Winona Rider.

Yes, recommended (Jolie got an Oscar for it).

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1081 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:19:02 pm »
Star Wreck: In the Pirkining

http://www.archive.org/details/StarWreckInThePirkining

In Finnish with english subtitles!

An interesting spoof of Star Trek / Babylon 5

Ne'er mind that, she's gaun tae blow!
The twist core just breuk and thare's antimaterial gas awgates

Commander Dwarf: Plingon warriors do not take showers!

:thumbsup:

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1082 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »
Another  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for The King's Speech. It's mesmerising. And very moving. From the first minute I was filled with sympathy for Bertie. Colin Firth was absolutely superb. He and Geoffrey Rush both deserve Oscars for their performances.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1083 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:47:57 pm »
Withnail and I. 

Haven't seen it for years and forgotten how good it was.  Mrs Zep wouldn't watch it with me as Richard E Grant turns her stomache apparently.  This is also why I'm not allowed to play Bowie in the house.  ???

Watched this last weekend — an excellent film.  :thumbsup:

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1084 on: 05 February, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »
my lad is a film buff and Cambridge film festival reviewer so gets a bit ecoteric around here.......we have dvds of films no one has heard of. He interned for a major agency for many months this year but true to form they screwed and exploited him on minimum wage. Amazing what a first gets you these days.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1085 on: 05 February, 2011, 10:11:27 pm »
Dare I say that the last film I watched was 'Twilight'  :-[

Not voluntarily, mind - SWMBO put it on when I was round at her place and despite being determined to just listen to it in the background, I ended up watching most of it.

I've seen better, and I've seen a lot worse, but if you slip your brain into neutral and just go with the flow then it seems to work quite well. Also, the female lead looks a lot like a younger version of Sigourney Weaver to these eyes.

To make amends, I watched "Serenity" for the nth time when I got home :)

« Reply #1086 on: 05 February, 2011, 11:07:46 pm »
went to see 127hrs,
passed out....
won't be going back there for a day or two!

« Reply #1087 on: 07 February, 2011, 09:12:18 am »
I saw 127 hours a week ago, it's a great film, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about regarding the 'gore'. The worst part fro me was when he realised he was trapped and the rest of the film is preparing you fro the inevitable. Great acting by Franco!
As a climber I was much more horrified the moment when Joe Simpson broke his leg in the film Touching the Void

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1088 on: 07 February, 2011, 11:00:06 am »
Mr Nice.  Understandably a lot was excised from the book but then again, one multi-million pound dope deal is very much the same as another.  Rhys Ifans looks spookily like the younger Howard Marks.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1089 on: 07 February, 2011, 01:14:43 pm »
I saw 127 hours a week ago, it's a great film, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about regarding the 'gore'. The worst part fro me was when he realised he was trapped and the rest of the film is preparing you fro the inevitable. Great acting by Franco!
As a climber I was much more horrified the moment when Joe Simpson broke his leg in the film Touching the Void
I don't know if it's still on iPLayer, but the recent Horizon about pain was jolly interesting. There was a chap who had the "127 hours" dilemma - but in his basement!

Anyway, after many hours contemplation, he hacked off the offending limb, and reported no notable pain. (although it was still traumatic to be cripplin himself). Scientists think this is something the body can just do for you - you know you have to do this for your long-term survival, so the pain signals never reach the conscious brain.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

fuzzy

« Reply #1090 on: 09 February, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »
The Abbys

I love that film :thumbsup:

"Virgil, you weiner!"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1091 on: 09 February, 2011, 10:38:36 pm »
Black Swan, tonight. I thought it was ridiculous and over the top and melodramatic but I really enjoyed it. And Natalie Portman was amazing.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tim

« Reply #1092 on: 09 February, 2011, 11:18:55 pm »
Black Swan, tonight.
Likewise.

Thought it deserved a razzie for worst on set catering - clearly not enough pies handed out to the cast.

All a bit fightclub though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1093 on: 09 February, 2011, 11:20:22 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I are going for a rare treat on Friday - a visit to the Odious in Saarfend to have a look at that Mr. Firth getting above his station.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1094 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:21:45 am »
Black Swan, tonight.
Likewise.

Thought it deserved a razzie for worst on set catering - clearly not enough pies handed out to the cast.

All a bit fightclub though.

I enjoyed the special effects - very subtle.  :thumbsup:
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1095 on: 10 February, 2011, 10:49:39 pm »
Dez I watched "In the Loop". I'm not sure what I thought.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1096 on: 11 February, 2011, 12:29:30 pm »
Lemmy.  A bit of a mess, really.

• Various people tell us what a total rock god Lemmy is.
  • Lemmy goes to the pub.
  • Dave Brock and Nik Turner tell us that Lemmy was a pain in the arse but we don't care because we're waiting for vintage footage of Stacia getting her tits out.  This happens.
  • Lemmy shows off his Nazi memorabilia
  • Bits of Motorhead gigs
  • Lemmy drives a tank

And so on.  The number of people who only get a mention in the DVD extras, if at all, is quite large too.  You'd think that Lucas Fox, Larry Wallis, Brian Robertson and Wurzel didn't exist.

Edit: And Pete Gill.

Poor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1097 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:01:11 am »
"Casablanca" , I'm 46 and have somehow never seen it before........ Good Film  :thumbsup:

How long til the re-imagined version ....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1098 on: 12 February, 2011, 12:12:21 am »
watched a DVD of Frost & Nixon, or was it Nixon & frost with mrs manotea and master manotea back from college forca few days, a rare treat.

anyway, great performances all round I thought

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #1099 on: 14 February, 2011, 01:35:42 am »
Expired on BBC2.

Samantha Morton is cute  :-*
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.