Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939852 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1150 on: 02 March, 2011, 01:26:49 am »
Paul. It's brilliant.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #1151 on: 02 March, 2011, 11:51:22 pm »
I just cracked open a beer and watched The Human Centipede on SyFy.

Better than I expected.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1152 on: 03 March, 2011, 01:50:45 am »
I've got that on my system waiting to be watched but was never sure if I should
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1153 on: 03 March, 2011, 04:17:12 pm »
James Cameron's "The Abyss"  :thumbsup:   Just a shame it was on ye olde worlde DVD and not in blu-ray. 

Chris S

« Reply #1154 on: 03 March, 2011, 07:02:45 pm »
James Cameron's "The Abyss"  :thumbsup:   Just a shame it was on ye olde worlde DVD and not in blu-ray. 

My house has tried several times to kill me. It very nearly succeeded one night by asphyxiating us with Carbon Monoxide - whilst I was watching The Abyss. Rather fitting really - given the film's subject matter.

Great movie. Michael Biehn does the twitchy eyed psycho rather well.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1155 on: 06 March, 2011, 07:01:36 pm »
Kick-Ass.  Good concept, well executed.  But let down by the weak characterisation of the local crime boss and the increasingly unrealistic weaponry towards the end of the film.

Hit Girl is the best female superhero I've seen to date (which is a comment on the strength of the character in the film, helped by some good acting, against the comparative superficiality of traditional female superheros).

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1156 on: 09 March, 2011, 10:20:36 am »
The Social Network. I thought it was good. Mark Zuckerberg is an oddball. Not likeable at all, as demonstrated rather well in the opening scene.

LindaG

« Reply #1157 on: 09 March, 2011, 04:31:18 pm »
Lolita.  The Jeremy Irons one.

Brilliant.  Nearly as good as the book.

But the previous version of the film did the comedic aspects better.

I don't know why, but it's one of my favourite books.  Definitely a guilty pleasure.  Nabokov knows his evil.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1158 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:34:07 pm »
Howl's Moving Castle.  115 minutes of wonderful animated movie!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1159 on: 09 March, 2011, 09:51:08 pm »
Oddly enough, it's better than the book, considerably.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Billy Weir

« Reply #1160 on: 12 March, 2011, 03:59:32 pm »
Scott Pilgrim vs the World.

This is what happens when videogames and popcorn movies collide.  Cool shit.  In all senses.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1161 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »
Mic Macs.

French satire on the arms industry.  Directed by the chap who did Amelie and Delicatessen.  Which is apparent from the cinematography, sound engineering etc.  On the whole, diverting but quite forgetable.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #1162 on: 12 March, 2011, 06:21:58 pm »
Unknown. Rather jolly for it's kind.

Sucker punch looked oddly watchable.
A shitter and a giggler.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1163 on: 12 March, 2011, 10:40:47 pm »
The Bridges of Madison County.

Never seen it before. Enjoyed it, but can't understand why they cast someone as old as Clint Eastwood opposite Meryl Streep. I mean, I have a certain fondness for the older gentlemen myself, but there's nothing attractive about him in this film.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Clandy

« Reply #1164 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:02:18 am »
but can't understand why they cast someone as old as Clint Eastwood opposite Meryl Streep.

You did notice who the director was?

LindaG

« Reply #1165 on: 13 March, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
Taken.

What a nasty, stupid film.  More plotholes than my commute in January.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1166 on: 13 March, 2011, 02:37:44 pm »
Mic Macs.

French satire on the arms industry.  Directed by the chap who did Amelie and Delicatessen.  Which is apparent from the cinematography, sound engineering etc.  On the whole, diverting but quite forgetable.

Have to agree there. It was fun, with all his usual trademark eccentricity, but I had already forgotten that I'd ever watched it until you mentioned it!

Billy Weir

« Reply #1167 on: 13 March, 2011, 07:27:30 pm »
Save the Green planet completes my weekends film viewing.  South Korean.  A f**ked up version of Misery.

This one was memorable, in the "jesus, no" way that South Korean films tend to force on you - Audition being a prime example of the nasties they squirt into your eyeballs.

fuzzy

« Reply #1168 on: 15 March, 2011, 09:24:32 am »
I caught the last hour or so of V for Vendetta the other night.

I haven't made my mind up about it yet though am all for the Natalie Portman content.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1169 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:32:00 pm »
I caught the last hour or so of V for Vendetta the other night.

I haven't made my mind up about it yet though am all for the Natalie Portman content.

I don't hate it, I reckon if I had never read the source material I would have thought the film was fantastic, as it was I thought it wasn't bad overall. 

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1170 on: 15 March, 2011, 10:40:01 pm »
Yesterday I watched The Assassination Bureau (on a Region 1 DVD import as it isn't available in the UK).

I've always had great affection for it, and not having seen it for ten to fifteen years was pleasantly surprised that it was pretty much as I remembered it.

The last time I saw it Oliver Reed was still an unreconstructed (but alive) drunk, so what I took away this time was the sorrow (for him) at what might have been.  He was a great physical actor with a deft touch for comedy - there is this lovely double take to camera Reed does right at the end of the film which is priceless.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1171 on: 16 March, 2011, 09:37:25 am »
I watched 'The Long Good Friday' last night.  I'd forgotten how stunning Helen Mirren was in that film.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1172 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:28:15 am »
I don't hate it, I reckon if I had never read the source material I would have thought the film was fantastic, as it was I thought it wasn't bad overall. 

That's interesting, because I've never been very impressed by the original comic.  Alan Moore may bring more intellectual substance to comics than many, but that's not actually saying much, given the competition.  He's always seemed to me to be all style and very little substance.  Nothing wrong with style and he does have lots of that, but there's very little actual meat.

I was surprised and a little worried to find out that he sees V as serious political commentary; as flashy fun, I enjoy it but it's essentially an anarchist version of Rambo with all the dubious morality that implies, with a large amount of adolescent self obsession and posturing thrown in.  Oh, and the use of brainwashing and torture to communicate V's points to his apprentice.  So treat it as a bit of stylish nonsense (and thence don't worry about the adaptation).
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1173 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:57:33 pm »
'My Name is Joe'.  It was a Wednesday, Ms Weasel was away out on her usual Wednesday night thing, I got a curry and say down to watch a DVD as usual.

I was totally mesmerised, shocked, moved and emotional from start to finish.  I'm a fan of some of Ken Loach's work and have had this on the shelf for a wee while, this was an incredibly powerful film.  Rarely (I feel) this was a film that dealt with certain powerful issues without being patronising.

LindaG

« Reply #1174 on: 17 March, 2011, 08:21:48 pm »
The Truth About Cats And Dogs.

Chick-flick-rom-com nonsense.  Most excellent.