Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926118 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1175 on: 17 March, 2011, 08:47:13 pm »
49th Parallel by Powell and Pressburger.

There's something weird about hearing the Nazis talking in posh English accents.  In fact the whole cast sounded a bit Cholmondely-Warner but once I got over that it was quite enjoyable and I liked the ending.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1176 on: 17 March, 2011, 10:17:04 pm »
49th Parallel by Powell and Pressburger.

There's something weird about hearing the Nazis talking in posh English accents.  In fact the whole cast sounded a bit Cholmondely-Warner but once I got over that it was quite enjoyable and I liked the ending.

Eric Portman is head Nazi isn't he?  I love the scene with the US Canadian deserter right at the end.

« Reply #1177 on: 18 March, 2011, 07:34:34 am »
Yes, Eric Porter. His Nazi sneer more than made up for the accent.  Indeed, the final scene was excellent (Ironic, but I think the deserter was actually a Canadian!)
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1178 on: 18 March, 2011, 11:05:09 am »
Yes, Eric Porter. His Nazi sneer more than made up for the accent.  Indeed, the final scene was excellent (Ironic, but I think the deserter was actually a Canadian!)

Porter is also excellent in The Bedford Incident in which he plays an ex-nazi sub captain as a NATO advsior abouar a US warship.

Of course, the deserter was Canadian not US - USA not actually being in the war which was the whole point. D'oh. Now edited.

simonp

« Reply #1179 on: 19 March, 2011, 01:50:52 pm »
Borat.

I presume the attempted kidnap of Pamela Anderson was staged, right?  It'd have been a very easy way to get shot.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1180 on: 20 March, 2011, 09:30:46 pm »
Ordet.  An 50s Danish movie exploring the meaning of faith.  Heavy going but ultimately an interesting, thought provoking film.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1181 on: 20 March, 2011, 09:37:12 pm »
Sleepless in Seattle. Blimey, it was dreary. Not that much rom and even less com.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1182 on: 20 March, 2011, 10:05:48 pm »
After the FNRttC yesterday I dozed through The Long Kiss Goodnight, today I slept through Swashbuckler (AKA The Scarlet Buccaneer) but finally woke up enough this evening to enjoy Bronco Billy.

ian

« Reply #1183 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:42:19 pm »
Skyline.

Fairly so-so CGI flick - apparently made on a small budget. it looked nice on the smaller screen, but that was all it was, a vehicle for special effects. Very derivative special effects, you've seen them elsewhere.

Not much of a story either, they evidently didn't save any cash for a screenplay. Followed the the recent theme of having main characters that you wanted to see have a grisly demise (à la Cloverfield). They probably gave the aliens indigestion. A shame really, a little invested in character development and writing would have made for a decent movie.

Very short movie too, it kind of just went pop after about 80 minutes.

Oh, it was OK. Preferred Monsters.

« Reply #1184 on: 22 March, 2011, 09:18:16 pm »
"The Dark".  Sean Bean spooky story set in Wales.  I recorded this last year sometime and the way it was described on the freeview box made it sound like "Don't Look Now", but it's not.  Quite good, although we had to discuss what the ending meant, but not in a good way IYKWIM.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1185 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:03:19 am »
Tron Legacy

CGI-amoungous, but enjoyable none the less....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1186 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:23:57 am »
Kick-Ass

Loved it. Astonishingly violent but in a kind of cute way. Hit Girl rocks.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #1187 on: 23 March, 2011, 10:27:35 am »
Kick-Ass.  Good concept, well executed.  But let down by the weak characterisation of the local crime boss and the increasingly unrealistic weaponry towards the end of the film.

I thought it was a bit bizarre - but in a good way - that he was portrayed as a "realistic" villain rather than a Batman-style comedy villain. And making him bald was a nice touch.

The jetpack was slightly jumping the shark though.

d.

« Reply #1188 on: 23 March, 2011, 07:49:22 pm »
The Straight Story :thumbsup:

What a very simple story well told

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1189 on: 23 March, 2011, 11:36:26 pm »
Amercian Flyers (again).  I bought it this time rather than borrowing it from the yacf library.

It might be cheezy cornball hokum but it's cycling cheezy cornball hokum and lots of fun.

It does actually explain stage racing concepts pretty well too.  It's still doing the rounds on the lending library thread AFAIK if you fancy it.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1190 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:21:54 am »
Just watched that soppy tosh....Love Actually.
just loved it ;D

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1191 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:27:56 am »

A lovely film.  There's an awful lot going on below the surface of that simple story though - left for you to extrapolate, rather than just tell you (which I respect massively as a storytelling style).

"...and I love Deer!"

/angrywomanwhokeepsrunningoverdeer

« Reply #1192 on: 24 March, 2011, 12:30:17 am »
Kickass. Teared up a bit when
(click to show/hide)

tiermat

« Reply #1193 on: 24 March, 2011, 07:53:51 am »
Made in Dagenham

Pretty good, a bit strange seeing a Sheriff playing a school teacher, but hey, the rest of it was good!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1194 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:35:36 am »
Good film:  The Transporter.  Explosions, car chases, blokes going through windows and the Stath with a machine pistol.  What's not to like?

Bad film: The pointless remake of The Flight Of The Phoenix.  Even the presence of the fragrant Miranda Otto could not prevent this from being a tedious pile of poo.  Watch the original instead.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #1195 on: 24 March, 2011, 11:49:27 am »

A lovely film.  There's an awful lot going on below the surface of that simple story though - left for you to extrapolate, rather than just tell you (which I respect massively as a storytelling style).

Glad you said that because I feel much the same about it. But I'm slightly bewildered by most of the reviews I've read of the film. It seems most viewers can't look beyond the superficially sweet, sentimental tale and see its dark, dark heart. I found it quite disturbing. (But in a good way, like most other David Lynch films.)

d.

LEE

« Reply #1196 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:15:34 pm »
"Forgetting Sarah Marshall"

A word of warning...

Never, ever, ever watch this film.  You'll never get that time back and you can't sue for "wasted life".

tiermat

« Reply #1197 on: 24 March, 2011, 03:16:58 pm »
"Forgetting Sarah Marshall"

A word of warning...

Never, ever, ever watch this film.  You'll never get that time back and you can't sue for "wasted life".

I couldn't agree more, I don't think I have ever seen a bigger pile of pants....

Billy Weir

« Reply #1198 on: 26 March, 2011, 05:52:30 pm »
Clubbed.  British film about self-respect, against the background of club bouncers in a working class area in the 80s.

Strange little film that might have worked as part of a wider story on TV, but just didn't click as a film.  Mediocre in all departments, the denouement left me incredulous.  Can't decide whether it was the script or the acting or the direction that made me feel it was just going through the motions, with events not emerging naturally and a sense of having no sympathy with the characters.  Quite a disappointment.

« Reply #1199 on: 27 March, 2011, 01:28:49 pm »
A boy, a girl and a bike. 1949 B&W film about a Northern cycling club.  It was quite good - some moments of cycling humour that have aged very well.  :thumbsup: