Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939841 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1200 on: 29 March, 2011, 11:08:54 pm »
The Medusa Touch - thriller/chiller starring Richard Burton.  Great fun.  Haven't seen it for 15 years.  About the same as I remembered which was good (no better no worse).

Martin

« Reply #1201 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:41:38 am »
Brighton Rock; apparently nearer to the Greene novel than the Dicky Attenborough original, despite being brought forward to 1964;

very dark and moody, shame I missed the first 10 mins due to it having to be wedged in before another later film on the same screen (it apparently has had very little airing since release because of The King's Speech and other Oscar names, a shame), lovely period setting as well (it was filmed in Eastbourne which hasn't changed since the 60s)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1202 on: 31 March, 2011, 10:30:30 pm »
The League of Gentlemen - the 1960 film not the TV series.

« Reply #1203 on: 02 April, 2011, 01:37:49 am »
Red, which is a not bad bit of escapist nonsense.  It's got a commentary track, supposedly by a retired CIA field officer, which I haven't listened to yet, although I imagine that it should be along the lines of "This bit isn't realistic, and this is just ridiculous.  This on the other hand is wildly insane, and it would never happen like that ...."

A surprisingly good cast, probably better than the film deserves, but heah, if you're going to have a silly film with lots of people being killed, blown up, and shot, then you may as well have good actors, who can do dark dry comedy and wit well.  I rather liked Brian Cox's part as Ivan, and Helen Mirren's frustrated assassin doing flower arranging and baking. ;D

Oh, and I can lust after Mary-Louise Parker without being creepy, since it turns out she's older than me. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1204 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:22:01 am »
Source Code... Groundhog Day all over again with SF saving the world twist.  Spectacular views of Chicago.  Action thriller with a touch of romance.  Catch it on the big screen if you like this sort of thing.   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1205 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:26:07 am »
Collateral Damage

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1206 on: 02 April, 2011, 10:30:29 am »
Red, which is a not bad bit of escapist nonsense.  It's got a commentary track, supposedly by a retired CIA field officer, which I haven't listened to yet, although I imagine that it should be along the lines of "This bit isn't realistic, and this is just ridiculous.  This on the other hand is wildly insane, and it would never happen like that ...."

A surprisingly good cast, probably better than the film deserves, but heah, if you're going to have a silly film with lots of people being killed, blown up, and shot, then you may as well have good actors, who can do dark dry comedy and wit well.  I rather liked Brian Cox's part as Ivan, and Helen Mirren's frustrated assassin doing flower arranging and baking. ;D

Oh, and I can lust after Mary-Louise Parker without being creepy, since it turns out she's older than me. :)

He gets bloody everywhere

Helen Mirren... Ahhh
Getting there...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1207 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:26:27 pm »
Hot Tub Time Machine

Ok, so I didn't have high expectations but I really didn't imagine it would be quite so excruciatingly awful as it turned out to be. I gave up after about 40 minutes - I was clinging to the hope that it might improve but it just seemed to be getting worse. Beyond crass.

I wouldn't have minded so much but it wasn't funny either. Didn't even smirk, never mind laugh.

Has to be one of the worst films I've seen in a very long time.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1208 on: 02 April, 2011, 02:56:02 pm »
He gets bloody everywhere

Luckily not that damn Brian Cox.  Bloody Physicists, they get everywhere. ;D

Helen Mirren... Ahhh

Didn't one of the channels do a programme where they decided that she was the British Actress who had got her kit off most frequently in films?
Actually, it is rocket science.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #1209 on: 02 April, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »
'Smoke' last night then 'The Red Badge of Courage' this afternoon.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1210 on: 02 April, 2011, 09:11:38 pm »
Helen Mirren... Ahhh

Didn't one of the channels do a programme where they decided that she was the British Actress who had got her kit off most frequently in films?

I would posit that that acolade goes to the never knowingly fully dressed Greta Scacchi.

But I do not mind any disrobing of la Mirren.
Getting there...

« Reply #1211 on: 03 April, 2011, 07:22:12 pm »
I think that would be Kate Winslet, whose very impressive jubblies are never hidden (in a film).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1212 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »
Let Me In

Remake of the Swedish film, a contemporary coming of age film about a bullied boy and a peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire.

If you like vampire films you will love this, I thought it was a brilliant film, may even watch it again tomorrow night.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1213 on: 03 April, 2011, 09:41:58 pm »
Let Me In

Remake of the Swedish film, a contemporary coming of age film about a bullied boy and a peculiar girl who turns out to be a vampire.

If you like vampire films you will love this, I thought it was a brilliant film, may even watch it again tomorrow night.

Watch the Swedish version.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

fuzzy

« Reply #1214 on: 04 April, 2011, 09:53:51 am »
Bucket List on ITV last night.

Don't know about anyone els but I enjoyed it.

Chris S

« Reply #1215 on: 04 April, 2011, 10:22:44 am »
Bucket List on ITV last night.

Don't know about anyone els but I enjoyed it.

I have to skip the (inevitable) v*mit scene, but it's a brilliant film.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1216 on: 05 April, 2011, 01:37:55 am »
I watched "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "The Sum of all Fears" while doing other stuff.  The latter was boring but Gentlemen was atrocious.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1217 on: 05 April, 2011, 05:49:23 am »
Neds, my copy came with subtitles in Catalan, Spanish or Castillian, I think I might have understood the dialogue a bit better if I had used the subtitles :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1218 on: 05 April, 2011, 08:20:15 am »
Carry On Again Doctor

It was everything I expected.  ;D

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1219 on: 05 April, 2011, 08:26:23 am »
The boy with the striped pyjamas.

We watched this on DVD on Sunday night, I knew of it and knew the ending was challenging, but wasn't prepared for an ending that left us all in silence.

I know it has been criticised for historical inaccuracies, however it wasn't meant to be a documentary and for our kids it probably had more effect than a documentary ever could have.

Bruno, the German boy was acted exceptionally well in my opinion.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1220 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:17:39 pm »
The boy with the striped pyjamas.

We watched this on DVD on Sunday night, I knew of it and knew the ending was challenging, but wasn't prepared for an ending that left us all in silence.

I know it has been criticised for historical inaccuracies, however it wasn't meant to be a documentary and for our kids it probably had more effect than a documentary ever could have.

Bruno, the German boy was acted exceptionally well in my opinion.

The book is well worth a read.

« Reply #1221 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:20:03 pm »
Batman - The Dark Knight

A great film with a fantastic cast, Heath Ledger as the Joker is awesome.

tiermat

« Reply #1222 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:40:34 pm »
Batman - The Dark Knight

One of my favourites, and inspiration for my outfit for my birthday BBQ last year (yes there are pictures, one of which lurks on this here forum)

Tonight I am watching "The Killer Inside Me", sort of like Spartacus (the series) in the MidWest (i.e. lots of shagging and killing)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1223 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »
Batman - The Dark Knight

One of my favourites, and inspiration for my outfit for my birthday BBQ last year (yes there are pictures, one of which lurks on this here forum)

The Joker or Batman ?

tiermat

« Reply #1224 on: 05 April, 2011, 06:53:37 pm »
@Dinamo, the Joker, of course :)