Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 925983 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1275 on: 18 April, 2011, 02:18:16 pm »
Did the entire Millennium trilogy back to back on Saturday.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1276 on: 20 April, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »
I just watched Resident Evil Afterlife, which was no spectacular classic, but a perfectly acceptable action movie, in the running away from zombies, and nasty big corporation genre.

It seems to have been a bit slated by the critics, and I'm not sure why exactly.  It's all about dashing around, and shooting/stabbing people and things, so I can't say I expected detailed character development or insightful plots.

Ah well, I enjoyed it for what it is.
Actually, it is rocket science.

fuzzy

« Reply #1277 on: 20 April, 2011, 03:09:00 pm »
Blithe Spirit. Recorded on the Sky digibox.

An entertaining yarn.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1278 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:10:54 pm »
I watched 2012 and I absolutely loved it.

I did turn my brain off before I pressed play so as not to ruin my enjoyment.

It's like the Day after Tomorrow meets the Poseidon Adventure meets Independence Day.
There are two 2012 films. One describes itself as a "Christian epic"

Oh dear....

« Reply #1279 on: 20 April, 2011, 04:21:36 pm »
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows.

Much too long and protracted in parts.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1280 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:02:24 pm »
I just watched Resident Evil Afterlife, which was no spectacular classic, but a perfectly acceptable action movie, in the running away from zombies, and nasty big corporation genre.

It seems to have been a bit slated by the critics, and I'm not sure why exactly.  It's all about dashing around, and shooting/stabbing people and things, so I can't say I expected detailed character development or insightful plots.

It is spectacular in 3D.  My chum was foolish enough to buy a 3D telly and it left me drooling like a zombie in a labotomy lab.  Mmmm, brains.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1281 on: 20 April, 2011, 09:05:26 pm »

Did you spot Hermione and Harry sort of in the buff?  As the old Birmingham Midshires TV ads used to say, "I never expected that!"
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1282 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:51:00 pm »
'Went the day well' Thora Hird killing nazis.  What's not to like?

red marley

« Reply #1283 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »
I'd like to tell you, but it's a secret.

simonp

« Reply #1284 on: 20 April, 2011, 10:56:56 pm »
Red.  Wasn’t quite sure what to expect, but it sounded interesting.  Silly fun, I think.

« Reply #1285 on: 20 April, 2011, 11:00:06 pm »

Did you spot Hermione and Harry sort of in the buff?  As the old Birmingham Midshires TV ads used to say, "I never expected that!"

As Kenny Everett (the well-known nazi/tory) would have said: "All done in the best (fuzzy) possible taste", but yes, it was a moment to rewind - purely for reason of research, obviously...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #1286 on: 21 April, 2011, 11:04:51 am »

It is spectacular in 3D.  My chum was foolish enough to buy a 3D telly and it left me drooling like a zombie in a labotomy lab.  Mmmm, brains.

My BluRay player is supposedly 3D compatible (but I suspect most of them are/can be), but I haven't quite been tempted to spend the £1000 or so currently needed for a cheap 3D TV. :o

I'd also have to start buying 3D BluRay discs, which are even more expensive than the noticeably more expensive than DVDs, non-3D BluRay discs.

simonp

« Reply #1287 on: 21 April, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »

My BluRay player is supposedly 3D compatible (but I suspect most of them are/can be), but I haven't quite been tempted to spend the £1000 or so currently needed for a cheap 3D TV. :o

I'd also have to start buying 3D BluRay discs, which are even more expensive than the noticeably more expensive than DVDs, non-3D BluRay discs.

I would be more careful than I was.  Too much left-right eye crosstalk for my liking on my LCD/LED TV with active shutter technology.  It's just about tolerable on natural scenes, but on high contrast stuff, it's annoying.

Plasma is supposed to be much better.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1288 on: 21 April, 2011, 02:03:58 pm »
Last night I watched both Rollerball movies.

The 1975 version is, IMO, a dystopian sci-fi classic, even though James Caan's performance makes you want to look for splinters. The 2002 'remake' made me want to gouge my eyes out with tyre levers and stick titanium tent-pegs into my living brain after about 15 minutes.

Remember the scene from "A Clockwork Orange" where Malcolm McDowell has his eyelids clamped open and is made to watch war films etc.? It was a bit like that. Really.

« Reply #1289 on: 21 April, 2011, 03:19:41 pm »
... mutterings about 3D TV ...

I would be more careful than I was.  Too much left-right eye crosstalk for my liking on my LCD/LED TV with active shutter technology.  It's just about tolerable on natural scenes, but on high contrast stuff, it's annoying.

Plasma is supposed to be much better.

Plasma is mostly supposed to be better than LED backlit LCD (which is probably the best option for LCD TVs), but even Plasma has issues with the current generation of TVs (mostly still relating to crosstalk and brightness).

I think I'll wait quite a bit before considering going down the 3D screen route, unless it's a minor increase over the purchase price of an otherwise 2D screen.

ravenbait

« Reply #1290 on: 21 April, 2011, 05:49:20 pm »
I have one eye.

3D is an expensive waste of time.

Sam

Billy Weir

« Reply #1291 on: 21 April, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »
At the moment it is a gimmick.

Still, only a year or so until Star Wars comes out in 3D.  (although it starts with Jar Jar fucking Binks)

For now, have 3-O

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mj1j-Fl0ixo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/mj1j-Fl0ixo&rel=1</a>

Billy Weir

« Reply #1292 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:28:57 am »
Trainspotting.  It being on Film4 and no need to get up for work today meant I could indulge.  First time I've seen the film in around 15 years (is it really that long?) Absolutely chuffing marvellous film.  So vibrant and gutter laugh funny before the descent into the bleak ending.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1293 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:13:40 am »
Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark :thumbsup:
And it would appear that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is on tonight!  (BBC3 9PM)

LindaG

« Reply #1294 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:15:10 am »
And it would appear that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is on tonight!  (BBC3 9PM)

Ooh, goody!  I know what I'm doing tonight then, crusty can snore away beside me after his 200k today.

We watched Tamara Drewe last  night, and rather enjoyed it.

Billy Weir

« Reply #1295 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:15:30 am »
Clash of the Titans.

Meh.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1296 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:19:12 am »
I see No Country For Old Men is also on tonight, Film 4
Is it worth watching?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1297 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:25:55 am »
It's better than True Grit, but not as good as some of their other stuff. And Burn After Reading it ain't. ISTR it doesn't really have an ending though.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1298 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:39:17 am »
. ISTR it doesn't really have an ending though.
Thanks for that, Mrs P. Mrs eck would tell you that a film not really having an ending is never a problem for me, as I've usually fallen asleep by then.  :-[
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1299 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:49:05 am »
I see No Country For Old Men is also on tonight, Film 4
Is it worth watching?

I enjoyed it.
I reckon the viewing experience would be improved by the consumption of beer & bridies :)