Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 941969 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1425 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:06:21 pm »
Once again: "Remember the 5 Ds – Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and er, Dodge!"

Yes! Dodgeball!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

fuzzy

« Reply #1426 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »
Once again: "Remember the 5 Ds – Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and er, Dodge!"

Yes! Dodgeball!

I watched last night also.

Some excellent one liners from Patches, though many were deffo NSFW and prolly very un PC as well-

Son, you're about as useful as a sh1t flavored lollipop!

It's like watching a bunch of retards trying to f**k a doorknob out there!

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1427 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:46:19 pm »
Was it shit flavoured, or cock flavoured?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1428 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »
"Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. But good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever" said by You Know Who.

And of course, "Here at Globo Gym, we understand that "Ugliness" and "Fatness" are genetic disorders, much like baldness or necrophilia, and it's only your fault if you don't hate yourself enough to do something about it."

Tokyo Sonata. Something to look forward to.

« Reply #1429 on: 31 May, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Kill Bill, vol. 1.

In one word: excellent!  It's been ages since I've watched a film and thought "that was fun!".  Yes, OTT and silly in places, but I enjoyed it.

Me also! I enjoyed it so much I watched the second one as well. 

Tim

« Reply #1430 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »
Blazing Saddles last night.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1431 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:31:24 pm »
Spinal Tap.

Well, I say I watched it.  Actually, TGL was watching it, and listening on headphones.  But each time I looked up, I laughed, because I knew exactly where we were and the key lines...
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #1432 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:42:06 pm »
Was it shit flavoured, or cock flavoured?

Well done that man.

Cock flavoured of course.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1433 on: 31 May, 2011, 05:01:49 pm »
Hangover 2

Whatever your impression of Hangover, you should be confident of receiving the same viewing experience with Hangover 2. Luckily for me that meant that I laughed a lot. :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1434 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:56:28 pm »
The husband and I are watching 'Babylon AD' with Vin Diesel. Am quite enjoying it actually  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1435 on: 01 June, 2011, 01:53:44 pm »
I made a terrible discovery on the weekend.

MrsCharly and I don't share the same taste in films.

We started watching 'Little Fish'. I was really enjoying it for the characterisation and the slow build up. She made it plain she was utterly bored and thought the film was pointless.

So we switched to 'Queen of the Dammed'. She seemed to enjoy that, whereas I thought it was dross only one level above 'Twilight'.

???
<i>Marmite slave</i>

simonp

« Reply #1436 on: 01 June, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
I'm half way through Total Recall.

If I remember, I'll watch the rest tonight.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1437 on: 01 June, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »

We started watching 'Little Fish'. I was really enjoying it for the characterisation and the slow build up. She made it plain she was utterly bored and thought the film was pointless.

So we switched to 'Queen of the Dammed'. She seemed to enjoy that, whereas I thought it was dross only one level above 'Twilight'.

???
Whilst I cannot comment on 'Little Fish' I can confirm that 'Queen of the Dammed' is utter dross but would add that it makes 'Twilight' seem like 'Hamlet' (or should that be 'Romeo and Juliet'?).

fuzzy

« Reply #1438 on: 02 June, 2011, 08:59:56 am »

???

At least you can go to the cinema in peace ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1439 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:05:48 am »
POTC IV - No real Spoilers below if you've read the press publicity

TGL and I wanted to do something a bit special to celebrate our Family Day (anniversary of his coming to live with us, and roughly the anniversary of his brother doing the same the previous year).  So we decided to go to the Kinematographic Picture House (OK, Empire Sutton, the world's smallest multiplex AFAICT ;D ).  Attack The Block was on a bit late, so we opted for POTC (2D rather than 3D, since I thought my double vision might be an issue).

Had plenty of time to eat a nice dinner together, then went & bought faaaar too much popcorn and a large bucket of drink each* and waited until the cinema had 'been cleaned'.  Yeah, right, it was still completley manky when we went in.  Usual dreary adverts and trailers for a lot of crappy films, then the feature itself.

I think this was a big improvement on the last film, and some of the characters have definitely been filled out.  Depp steps back from the wrong side of the line of caricature, and depicts Sparrow as a witty, permanently drunk and slightly fey hero.  Rush has improved Barbosa from a two dimensional sketch into a much more complex character, though it doesn't seem it from the first few scenes.  The lightweight comedy characters who just seemed to be there to vary the pace and mark time a bit have been replacd by a new chap - Scrum, I think, who is allowed to be more real, and play a more central role in events.  Keira Knightley is not much missed, with Penelope Cruz playing a much feistier leading woman, less full of contradictions, though her ending was a bit poor.  Actually, TGL disagrees with this, and thinks KK was better.

The biggest improvement was Gibbs, who has moved from being a cartoon pirate into being a wily operator himself, and a good foil for Sparrow.

Weaknesses: The preacher character, we agreed, was trying too hard to be Orlando Bloom.  Not necessary, even if he is a bit buff with his top off.  The opening gag with Sparrow was far too obvious, aimed at thick USians, I guess.  They could have been a lot more subtle with the reveal.  Palm trees and fire issues, of course.  And deeply implausible fight scenes, natch, but that's part of the fun.  Zombie aspect seemed a bit redundant, but I suspect this is explored further in deleted or unfilmed scenes.

Amusing to find Hampton Court appeared to be near Temple ;D  But the various escape scenes were suitably swashbuckling and fun.  There are several small throwaway moments which are returned to a bit later in a number of scenes.  Worth watching out for.

I was wrongfooted by what the Spanish wanted, but I won't say more than that, except that TGL had worked it out from the first reaction of the fishermen in the opening.

Good fun, and a return to form.  Not great cinema, by any means, and a bit overladen with effects and CGI, but it was much more coherent than the last one, and worth the trip.

* If you have a weak bladder, do not have a huuuge drink, as, towards the end of the long film, they discover the fountain of youth (I hope I'm not spoiling it for anyone, since this much will have been obvious since the last film), and there is a distinct trickling noise, followed by the sound of men of a certain age shifting uneasily in their seats, and wondering whether they can last till the denouement before having to rush out.  Fortunately, I was not a sufferer, but I think this must have been a deliberate joke by the filmmakers. ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #1440 on: 02 June, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »
Orphan

Recorded from C4 the other evening.
A horror about a family who adopt an orphaned Russian girl.

simonp

« Reply #1441 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »

???

At least you can go to the cinema in peace ;)

I liked Queen of the Damned, but then I've read the books, all of which I enjoyed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1442 on: 02 June, 2011, 03:27:58 pm »
Blazing Saddles.  Made oi larrff.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1443 on: 02 June, 2011, 09:59:52 pm »
Orphan

Recorded from C4 the other evening.
A horror about a family who adopt an orphaned Russian girl.

I watched that alone, but explained the story to Mrs Zep the next morning.  She thought that I was joking about the ending/secret  ;D  even though I guessed it 1/3 of the way though. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1444 on: 03 June, 2011, 09:53:41 am »
Enter The Dragon.  Worth the price of admission just for the insane squeaking noises Bruce Lee makes when he's kicking someone's face off.  Serious biff and a few helichopters at the end.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1445 on: 03 June, 2011, 12:27:29 pm »
Enter The Dragon.  Worth the price of admission just for the insane squeaking noises Bruce Lee makes when he's kicking someone's face off.  Serious biff and a few helichopters at the end.

I still think that the early scene where they make Lee pronounce the name Mr Braithwaite was a bit cruel, couldn't they have called him Mr Green or Smith or something?

Some years back I finally got the 'uncut' version and found that the cut nunchuck scene that people had been banging on about for ages was only a few seconds long.

fuzzy

« Reply #1446 on: 03 June, 2011, 02:04:56 pm »
Resident Evil: Apocalypse.

Proper enjoyable tosh.

Mila HoHoHoHo(Jovo)vich dishing out some serious zombie whupass, complete with artillery, blades and stomp.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #1447 on: 03 June, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »
Enter The Dragon.  Worth the price of admission just for the insane squeaking noises Bruce Lee makes when he's kicking someone's face off.  Serious biff and a few helichopters at the end.

He also gets to beat Chuck Norris and Sammo Hung, which is always good to watch. Oh, and you also get a whole blaxpoitation / dude with a massive afro bit as well. What more do you want in a film?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1448 on: 05 June, 2011, 11:42:54 pm »
Rambo (2008)
It is simpler than it looks.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1449 on: 06 June, 2011, 12:50:09 am »
Skyline. Very, very silly.