Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 926672 times)

Guy

• Retired
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1525 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:09:11 am »
The last film I paid to see at the pictures was Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Plot. :-\

The last film on DVD was Kelly's Heroes, last night.  I know I've seen it 50 billion times already, but I lurve that fillum. :thumbsup:
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

LindaG

« Reply #1526 on: 06 July, 2011, 08:17:52 am »
We watched Paul last night, to celebrate The Boy coming home.  Very enjoyable.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1527 on: 07 July, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »
Just about to watch "The Andromeda Strain"   :thumbsup:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1528 on: 07 July, 2011, 07:45:02 pm »
Watched "Salt" this afternoon.An ending clearly designed for the sequel to occurr.

A.J. looks awfull in those wigs.

« Reply #1529 on: 07 July, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »
Watched Werner Herzog's Even Dwarves Started Small again on Saturday with a couple of friends. If you haven't seen it, you have missed one of the oddest, most brilliantly deliberately provocative pieces of cinema ever made...

In a parallel universe Monkey is posting: "Watched Vin Diesel and Jason Statham in Meat of Fury 7 at the weekend, and it was bloody ace!"

« Reply #1530 on: 09 July, 2011, 12:27:14 pm »
I just watched "Battle: Los Angeles" at Saturday Morning Cinema in the living room.

It's fairly enjoyable, a cross between any number of war films and Independence Day.  It's not as good as Independence Day, and does suffer a bit from the sort of gung-ho US Marine attitude you see in many films (I have no idea of this is realistic or not, having known only a smattering of US Marines, and none of them in the middle of a gun fight!)

There's slightly more story to it than I thought after the first half hour or so, although clearly a lot of it is running around shooting aliens, and trying not to be shot, and frankly the aliens really need to think about how they organise their military system, given how easily some elements are defeated.  Suspending belief as regards that, it's not too bad, and the special effects and battle scenes are very well done.

Apparently the DVD/Bluray isn't out for a couple more days, but Amazon seems to be overly efficient, which I'm not complaining about!
Actually, it is rocket science.

LindaG

« Reply #1531 on: 10 July, 2011, 12:37:35 am »
Green Lantern this afternoon at the cinema.  I really liked it.  GL was always an off-key superhero, his outfits were bad, his powers a bit dodgy, terrible hats.  I don't know if the slightly off-key feel to the film was deliberate, but I thought it fitted.   GL is my favourite DC character and I've waited years for this to come out.

Then, this afty, 'Role Models' which we really enjoyed, though we didn't expect to.  

ETA:  Green Lantern rides a nice Felt  8)

« Reply #1532 on: 10 July, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »
Shrek Forever After, which I felt was a bit of return to form, after a somewhat substandard Shrek The Third.

Green Lantern sounds promising, I haven't been all that impressed with some of the Super Hero films in recent times.  Oddly there doesn't even seem to be a date for availability on Bluray or DVD in the UK. :-\

LindaG

« Reply #1533 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:03:32 pm »
You could go and see it in 3D if you can bear sitting with oiks?

Just watched Sunshine (again) because I LOVE it.  More, every time.   8)

« Reply #1534 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:06:20 pm »
Just watched Sunshine (again) because I LOVE it.  More, every time.   8)

Not a film to watch with a bunch of space physicists.  The gaps in the heliospheric physics are big enough to drive the Titanic through. ;D

(Depending on which version you mean, the above comments relate to the 2007 version).

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1535 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:17:06 pm »
Just watched Sunshine (again) because I LOVE it.  More, every time.   8)

Not a film to watch with a bunch of space physicists.  The gaps in the heliospheric physics are big enough to drive the Titanic through. ;D

(Depending on which version you mean, the above comments relate to the 2007 version).
This here is one of the reasons that SWMBO won't watch sci-fi films with me - It inevitably leads to me picking holes in the science which, in a lot of cases, isn't exactly difficult. Despite far too many years in the IT salt-mines, there's still a little part of me which is still a physicist  ;D

« Reply #1536 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »
This here is one of the reasons that SWMBO won't watch sci-fi films with me - It inevitably leads to me picking holes in the science which, in a lot of cases, isn't exactly difficult. Despite far too many years in the IT salt-mines, there's still a little part of me which is still a physicist  ;D

I actually watch quite a lot of science fiction (you never would have guessed, would you!), but one of the issues I have with Sunshine is that it purports to be rigorous science in places, but really isn't.  Working in space physics (although I'm really doing engineering more than physics) makes me even more aware, and sensitive, of the inaccuracies, although most people with a moderate scientific knowledge are likely to have issues with it!

I guess I'm happier with things that are utterly implausible, but relatively internally consistent.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1537 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:35:13 pm »
Lord of War. Nicholas Cage playing it straight in a not bad movie. Gosh.

LindaG

« Reply #1538 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:37:14 pm »
This here is one of the reasons that SWMBO won't watch sci-fi films with me - It inevitably leads to me picking holes in the science which, in a lot of cases, isn't exactly difficult. Despite far too many years in the IT salt-mines, there's still a little part of me which is still a physicist  ;D

I actually watch quite a lot of science fiction (you never would have guessed, would you!), but one of the issues I have with Sunshine is that it purports to be rigorous science in places, but really isn't.  Working in space physics (although I'm really doing engineering more than physics) makes me even more aware, and sensitive, of the inaccuracies, although most people with a moderate scientific knowledge are likely to have issues with it!

I guess I'm happier with things that are utterly implausible, but relatively internally consistent.

Yebbut, it looks so damn good.  And the soundtrack is top quality.  I often listen to it on the i-Pod, one of the best I've heard.  The sequence where Kappa jumps from the shield to the dock for the payload - well, I just like it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #1539 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:39:30 pm »
Just about to watch "The Andromeda Strain"   :thumbsup:

The original, I trust.

I liked the sequence from the book where our heroes go through increasingly rigorous decontamination processes as they go deeper into the complex. The problem the designers had to deal with was 'how to sterilise a human body without actually killing it'.

« Reply #1540 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:31:25 pm »
Just about to watch "The Andromeda Strain"   :thumbsup:
The original, I trust.

They remade it? >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1541 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:45:09 pm »
Getting there...

Tim

« Reply #1542 on: 11 July, 2011, 11:51:08 am »
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Do you know what you're doing?
Theoretically.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1543 on: 12 July, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »
In The Loop.  Outstanding swearing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #1544 on: 12 July, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »
In The Loop.  Outstanding swearing.

"Fuckety Bye!"

Saw it a while back, and so wanted to watch again, but sadly a combination of beer/wine/too little sleep the night before, saw me off to bed after half an hour.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1545 on: 12 July, 2011, 08:16:17 pm »
Bridesmaids.  High quality and sustainedly funny.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

« Reply #1546 on: 12 July, 2011, 09:03:39 pm »
Almodovar's Talk to Her. Good, but I soon realised I'd seen it before. Not one of his better films. I really should see Matador again.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

LindaG

« Reply #1547 on: 13 July, 2011, 12:21:37 am »
High Fidelity, inspired by my mixCD adventures of the last couple of days.  I really, really enjoyed that.

LindaG

« Reply #1548 on: 13 July, 2011, 10:09:48 pm »
No Strings Attached with Princess Amidalah and some bloke.  I didn't make it to the end.  What a waste of time.  Not funny, not sexy, no plot.

« Reply #1549 on: 13 July, 2011, 10:15:11 pm »
Mr Nobody

A reasonably good 45 minute plot stretched into an hour and a half of not too bad film, somehow drawn out to 2 hours.