Author Topic: I could have commuted in today but...  (Read 98703 times)

Re: I could have commuted in today but...
« Reply #575 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:42:13 am »
40 knot winds and 91% rain forecast for my ride home. Erm... not today.  :(

« Reply #576 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:27:40 pm »
Same here gales n' rain, but traffic was bad going home & it took twice as long in the car, as bike normally does.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #577 on: 11 December, 2019, 11:56:46 am »
Really grim last night, made  worse by the twunt that overtook at speed as I went through the flood under the bridge  >:(

Edit: oops wrong thread

« Reply #578 on: 07 January, 2020, 08:02:51 am »
I paid too much attention to the forecast last night and before going to bed last night I'd pretty much decided I was taking the car today.  The rain wasnt that bad this morning.

« Reply #579 on: 16 January, 2020, 12:34:15 pm »
I'm sick of the wind and rain. Twice i was nearly blown off the bike yesterday. The car has been used today without any guilt.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #580 on: 16 January, 2020, 01:17:47 pm »
I'm sick of the wind and rain. Twice i was nearly blown off the bike yesterday. The car has been used today without any guilt.

It does get to you after a bit.
This is my first week of being on the on-call rota and I dont want to get called when I'm piss wet through on the canal path into a headwind. So I've taken the car all week. Felt a bit of guilt this morning.  If it rains tonight I'll get over it.

« Reply #581 on: 18 January, 2020, 03:01:49 pm »
........... since being made redundant in 2017 and setting up my own business, I either work from home or am away for days at a time on clients sites = Ickle Car + hotel stay or Biggie Van + kip in the van for the week.

(Although when I did cycle commute, being in South Wales, rain/wind was common (normal) and I got used to getting wet. A ride home without a headwind was something to celebrate!)

GC

« Reply #582 on: 21 January, 2020, 09:51:34 am »
I set off this morning but just went round the block as there was frost on the pavements and my ice phobia is strong.
It's not that bad up here on the top of the hill- I was expecting worse.
May get the studs out tomorrow, I'm already super slow so they won't add much time.

« Reply #583 on: 10 February, 2020, 08:53:35 am »
Up at commute o’clock and dressed for bike as I didn’t hear any weather.  Went downstairs and looked out and went back upstairs again !    Driving in later, I was quite happy with that decision

« Reply #584 on: 12 February, 2020, 06:38:28 am »
Not touched the bike since Saturday  :-[ I have no wish to commute by bike in this weather, every day has had sleet, snow, hail, horizontal rain and a very strong icy wind.

There were patches of ice in my street this morning so the car is being used without guilt.
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #585 on: 16 February, 2020, 10:13:59 am »
On Friday...

Feeling like crap - raging sore throat. Decided that with two gut-busting hills in each direction, it would not be a good idea. Annoying as it would have marked 4 weeks of no-car commutes. I have to reset the counter now.  :(

The way I'm feeling, won't be cycling tomorrow either. Bugger.

« Reply #586 on: 17 February, 2020, 01:28:19 pm »
...Half term.

Roads are way less horrendous than usual and parking easy to come by at work.

« Reply #587 on: 20 February, 2020, 12:57:19 pm »
Monday - too wet and windy
Tuesday - funeral to attend
Wednesday - Health assement requiring no exerise in the previous 12 hours
Thursday - fairly wet and windy, and cba.
Friday - ??

The problem is that the works bus picks me up and drops me off at the end of the drive, costs £2.00 for the week, I get an hour longer in bed and arrive home at the same time as I would had I cycled, and my flexi is mounting.  I fear my resistance to temptation is crumbling, my chain is rusting, and my general good health (as confirmed by the assessment) is about to take a plunge.