Author Topic: Emitremmus 2013  (Read 14541 times)

Emitremmus 2013
« on: 18 October, 2013, 01:27:43 pm »
Is anyone doing the Stevenage Emitremmus 2013 this year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Emitremmus 2013
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2013, 01:28:37 pm »
HK and I are likely to but haven't entered yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:05:32 pm »
Yes: I'm planning to ECE from Cambridge for RRTY purposes.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »
Have a lovely ride!
Best thing about Emitremmus is that quiet daylit hour when the world is asleep. Makes up for the dark afternoons.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #4 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:22:18 pm »
Have a lovely ride!
Best thing about Emitremmus is that quiet daylit hour when the world is asleep. Makes up for the dark afternoons.

Thanks.  Early morning start from Cambridge should be very peaceful  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: 18 October, 2013, 05:19:46 pm »
I can't manage a full day out this time, but might happen to ride out that way in the afternoon.....

« Reply #6 on: 18 October, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »
I'll be there. On the Vortex if it's nice weather but if it's raining i'll be on my Ridley.
Live2Ride   Ride2Live

« Reply #7 on: 18 October, 2013, 11:30:13 pm »
I've entered. May take the trike.

« Reply #8 on: 19 October, 2013, 08:16:11 am »
I won't. Last year the roads were full of knobs in lycra riding like tossers. It was grim, and I won't be riding it again. I also had more patronising comments than on any other ride, and that takes some doing.

« Reply #9 on: 19 October, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
I will, on a bachetta. The ride felt crowded with a few dickheads (esp some groups)  last year, but overall was good.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #10 on: 20 October, 2013, 12:03:26 pm »
I won't. Last year the roads were full of knobs in lycra riding like tossers. It was grim, and I won't be riding it again. I also had more patronising comments than on any other ride, and that takes some doing.

Hmm, interesting, discouraging – maybe I will find a Welsh perm to ride that weekend instead, as I will be up there on Saturday anyway ... *rummages in drawer* ... Found one!

I guess it's a salient point about increasing participation numbers on existing rides as promoted elsewhere: the Stevenage start and end of summer rides attract over 500 riders each, which are set off in groups at 10-minute intervals or so.  The first control on Sunday is a mere 27km from the start, so around 60-80 minutes for most riders, and there isn't a big hill along the way to split the groups up.  I can see this being crowded to the end.  Does this count as a ride that has already met the poster-child criteria of the new [AUK-]world order?  ::-)

As for increased prevalence of knobs and tossers and unwelcome comments: the ride starts in Stevenage*, would you reasonably expect anything else?  :demon:

* I lived there once, a while ago admittedly, and I put it down to the "new-town" effect.  ETA: I lived in the Old Town.

« Reply #11 on: 20 October, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »
This is the ride which started started my interest in Audax two years ago, so I am entered for the third time.

I agree the field is full of testosterone fuelled lycra clad clones, and to be fair some aggresive young women as well,with no road manners. The fun is watching them smash up their carbon bikes on the gravel lanes, crash into each other, get lost, have to wait for controls to open, etc.

For some reason " Mr cycling " comes up alongside and takes pity on me, is it my size?  I mention that 100k is only a warm up, and 200k is a training ride. And I got this big leg pressing 700lbs. Instant respect!

My normal cunning plan is to bounce the first two controls because of the waiting time for food, then enjoy the hospitality of the Therfield WI once most of the riders have passed by, then cruise into Stevenage for a final cup of tea.

RRTY done for the month on Silly Suffolk, this one is just for fun.

« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2013, 06:53:57 pm »
i was looking forward to this since i moved to 4 miles from the start, but it's on my birthday and I've had pub-related plans made for me..  Damn and blast..

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2013, 12:58:22 am »
 Yes: I'm planning to ECE from Ealing. The new Google Maps is taking me up the A1 Barnet-by-Pass 53km to start, on closer inspection it looks like a Fast bike friendly route:)

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2013, 09:28:47 am »
I wanted to do this, but since there's no trains into Stevenage from Cambridge (well there are but they are bus-shaped), I shall not be present. You might think they'd done that on purpose, hmmm?

I wish more of these rides were not on Sundays!!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #15 on: 21 October, 2013, 10:03:19 am »
SonC and I will be there.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 21 October, 2013, 02:18:04 pm »
I wanted to do this, but since there's no trains into Stevenage from Cambridge (well there are but they are bus-shaped), I shall not be present. You might think they'd done that on purpose, hmmm?

You're welcome to join me for an early morning ECE to turn it into a 200 – it's about 54km each way.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #17 on: 21 October, 2013, 02:37:00 pm »

You're welcome to join me for an early morning ECE to turn it into a 200 – it's about 54km each way.

Errrrrrr thanks for the offer but I now have a day in the pub scheduled!!!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #18 on: 21 October, 2013, 03:58:53 pm »
You're welcome to join me for an early morning ECE to turn it into a 200 – it's about 54km each way.

Errrrrrr thanks for the offer but I now have a day in the pub scheduled!!!!

No worries, although you make it sound like you know it's going to rain on Sunday  :facepalm:  ::-)

mikewigley

« Reply #19 on: 22 October, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

...and you've got a bike that you could get on the rail-replacement bus anyway!

« Reply #20 on: 22 October, 2013, 05:27:04 pm »

Me too. Do you want some company?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #21 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:49:43 pm »

Me too. Do you want some company?

Smashing!  You have PM.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #22 on: 22 October, 2013, 07:50:09 pm »

...and you've got a bike that you could get on the rail-replacement bus anyway!

I didn't like to mention it  :facepalm: ;D

« Reply #23 on: 22 October, 2013, 08:20:23 pm »

er... but the whole point of this one is it has to be Sunday and that particular Sunday.

My only gripe about it is, being on the day that the clock go back, the organisers don't take advantage of a last chance for winter daylight and start earlier.

Shall be starting from Royston and finishing there also since handily just down the hill from the wonderful cake spread in Therfield.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #24 on: 23 October, 2013, 10:00:21 pm »
I see from the list that there are a few other Cambridge people riding on Sunday: if anyone wants to join Gareth and myself and ride to Stevenage, we'll be leaving the corner of Huntingdon Road and Histon Road near the top of Castle Hill at about 07.10 GMT.  Anyone's welcome, no appointments necessary (although if we know you're joining us, we'll wait for you).