Author Topic: Emitremmus 2013  (Read 14534 times)

Phil W

Re: Emitremmus 2013
« Reply #50 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »
Eat beans at Saffron to combat wind on return leg.

« Reply #51 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:01:46 pm »
You lot take care out there especially on the hilly 4 x 4 own the road sections.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:29:48 pm »
I think the limit for me is when bits of tree start blowing around. Anyone know when that is? I remember an Ugley Audax a few years back when that started happening at the half way point and most of the field, including me, abandoned.

« Reply #53 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:45:43 pm »
Looks like the worst of the wind will be on Monday.
Live2Ride   Ride2Live

« Reply #54 on: 26 October, 2013, 09:48:12 pm »
Tim flies heavy aircraft so treats the weather forecast seriously. Take note of what he says up there. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  1987 was not nice  (strewth I'm beginning to sound like Scotty in Star Trek)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #55 on: 26 October, 2013, 10:01:34 pm »
Oh absolutely. It was Tim's post that made me think harder. Up till then I wasn't expecting the real winds during the event.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #56 on: 27 October, 2013, 06:50:18 am »
This morning's forecast (issued at 5am):

EGSS 270458Z 2706/2812 20015KT 9999 SCT025 TEMPO 2706/2708 6000 RA BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 2706/2708 21018G28KT 4000 +RA BKN008 BECMG 2708/2711 23020KT PROB30 TEMPO 2708/2719 24023G34KT 7000 SHRA BECMG 2719/2722 17012KT 7000 RA BKN008 BECMG 2723/2802 20020G30KT TEMPO 2723/2802 21025G40KT 3000 +RA BKN004 BECMG 2802/2805 21027G40KT 9999 -RA BKN025 PROB30 TEMPO 2806/2809 21035G60KT BECMG 2807/2809 25030G45KT BECMG 2809/2812 26020G30KT

The forecast maximum wind during the ride has increased slightly to 23 gusting 34kt (about 63 kmh) in any showers. There will be bits of tree blowing around at times, but out of the showers it will just feel 'a bit windy'. The more hardy of you won't have too much trouble with it, but it's not a day for deep rims! Certainly there is worse to come overnight and tomorrow (note the maximum of 60kt (111 kmh) between 6 and 9 am tomorrow) though it'll ease somewhat for the earlier part of thus evening.

I won't be there, having already decided to DNS, but I look forward to the 'it wasn't so bad' posts. Enjoy!

Phil W

« Reply #57 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:09:47 am »
Blue skies and not too windy at start at the moment.

« Reply #58 on: 27 October, 2013, 12:07:10 pm »
a short loop from here this morning and found myself on the emitremmus route, going in the wrong direction.  Lots of shiny bikes, not many mudguards, everyone enjoying the tailwind - it's going to be a Long Way Home for a lot of them.    Probably saw a dozen people stopped fixing deflations too, the roads are filthy round here.  Was faintly smug on my long haul trucker with marathons, at least till I got to every uphill bit.

Does anyone know if Chris and sboab's tandem is Orange? If it is, I think I saw them, heading downhill at high speed.  I thought about turning round and giving chase, but they would have been no chance..

« Reply #59 on: 27 October, 2013, 04:50:15 pm »
It wasn't so bad.

As Mike says, lots of bling at the start. I felt thoroughly inadequate on steel fixed, rather than 11-speed. Several Dogmas, I think, some Dura-Ace wheels. There was another Pompino around though, and a couple more fixeds including RideHard OTP.

Rode with RideHard for a bit till he RodeHard and my riding was Dross-All of it, so we separated.

Going out so more later...

Chris S

« Reply #60 on: 27 October, 2013, 06:27:57 pm »
Does anyone know if Chris and sboab's tandem is Orange? If it is, I think I saw them, heading downhill at high speed.  I thought about turning round and giving chase, but they would have been no chance..

It's blue - but more to the point, was 300 miles away; we were getting mauled by the weather in the Southern Uplands, riding the Ride of the Valkyries 100  ;D.

Orange tandem could be bhoot?

« Reply #61 on: 27 October, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »
The orange tandem was a wonder to behold, was it not?

Good gracious that was windy. Coming down from Cambridge in the morning, the wind was so strong that I was having trouble keeping up an audax pace. Crawling along at 16 or 17 km/h and occasionally being hit by a wall of air. I needed a good long sit-down at the café before the start. But then the sun came out and the wind was behind us and it was glorious.

But there was lots of water and debris on the road from Saturday night's storm.

It was all good fun until we hit the turn at Saffron Walden, and then the wind was in our faces, and it was pretty grim, creeping pedal-stroke by pedal-stroke up the massif du Great Chishill. I was bonking at the top of the climb from Shaftenhoe End, so I stopped to eat and pretended that I had stopped because I wanted to take photos, and not because my legs were no longer working, oh no.

Then I cycled back to Cambridge, retracing part of the route (the bit through Cromer, Rushden, Sandon, Kelshall & Therfield) and unlike last time, there were hardly any tail-enders to be seen. Maybe all the full-value riders had DNS'd?

Anyway, it felt pretty miserable at times, but looking back, I only took 10 minutes longer than last time I rode the event, when the weather was much kinder. So it can't have been all that bad.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 27 October, 2013, 07:40:51 pm »
That other Pompino was probably mine, on a shakedown ride before starting the commuting thing. Apart from ditching the Italian leather saddle for something comfortable, lowering the handlebars a bit and fitting new tyres, it is ready to go.

We caught up with RideHard just before the finish, apparently doing the last 30km with a single pedal makes life a little more difficult. His ECE was looking unlikely.

HK was also riding incognito on her winter commuter, an old Scott MTB fitted with an Alfine 11. With the wind-assisted 50km to the start and a slightly slower slog home afterwards, it was the longest ride ever for Scottie.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #63 on: 27 October, 2013, 08:06:43 pm »
The anticipation of the wind was generally worse than the reality
It was fun, there appeared to be fewer people on the road compared to last year. The third section was hard work, and the first time I've needed to pedal the bacchetta down hill!!

She who must not be named was as ever generous by ensuring the route was clearly marked with people repairing deflations (including me).

No enjoying a large talisker
good health.

Phil W

« Reply #64 on: 27 October, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »
Sean with Wilkyboy outside Pub we stopped at , 7km from finish (if not on ECE). Didn't realise how reflective Sean's white stick was. Wilkyboy will be visiting on the odd weekend for some tandem riding, when Sean's fiancée moves this way in next few weeks. Great news.

And the groovy tandem we ride

Had some roadies early on giving patronising comments about keep going as they overtook uphill. Was quite satisfying passing them on flat, too fast for them to get on back wheel, and saying never mind maybe they'd be fitter next year.

Great day out and headwinds not that much of an issue on a tandem. Hills after Saffron were for Sean but sugary tea, cake and sarnies in Therfield (where Wilkboy found us), plus pint and crisps in Weston revived him and gave him a second wind (no pun intended).

Wilkyboy's GPS wasn't recording first 15km from his home, so he's riding that bit again when he gets back to Cambridge. An extension to his ECE 200. He should be finished by now, with a strong tailwind home.

« Reply #65 on: 27 October, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »
(the story continues...)

I was quite surprised, after RideHard and I accidentally rode off the front of group A in the first mile, on the cycle paths, that relatively few riders came past us on the outward leg. There were certainly a fair number already at the first control, however. On the return, they were queueing up to pass me.

I pretty much rode alone all the way after RideHard disappeared up the road. Like everyone, I found the outward leg easy, and was at Saffron Walden only 20 minutes after it opened. I bounced the control because I wasn't ready for lunch, the queue was building, and I had to be back for an evening commitment.

I didn't find the return that bad (which means, I only struggled by the usual amount - two hours out but three and a half back). I did have a bit of back trouble - maybe my saddle is a fraction high, or maybe it was just pushing the fixed up the long drag to Chishill. Unlike the tandem, all I got was positive comments about how brave I was riding fixed - little did they know that no gear known to man would have made me do more than 4mph up some of those hills...

I passed RideHard on the climb out of Shaftenhoe End. He assured me he was OK, although that never seems that convincing when you're holding one of your pedals in your hand. Glad to know he managed to limp back. I'm impressed - I've tried riding with one leg, and it's not easy for more than 400 metres.

As ever, the "wastelands" (that's how I think of them) into Reed were the hardest section, being so exposed. I know that was the windiest bit; I had to ride with one hand on the bars, and one holding on my hat.

The control at Therfield was just buzzing with cheerful, friendly WI types serving a crowded hall of hungry riders. Wouldn't have missed that for the world - the hum of conversation was continuous.

And so home. Five and a half hours is a decent time for me in any conditions, so on fixed in the wind I'm well pleased, even if at times I was below walking pace. Worst of all, I think, was Barkway hill, just after you join the B road into Barkway. At 2mph, that was just embarrassing...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #66 on: 27 October, 2013, 10:16:06 pm »
Orange tandem could be bhoot?
Indeed it was.... We had a great day out and ECE'd it from East London which gave us the first 68 miles with the wind somewhere behind us followed by about the same distance with it somewhere ahead of us.

Had some roadies early on giving patronising comments about keep going as they overtook uphill. Was quite satisfying passing them on flat, too fast for them to get on back wheel, and saying never mind maybe they'd be fitter next year.
We were late for the start (should have left at 10.05 and we went away with E group at 10.20 I think) - so possibly avoided the more patronising comments as I guess many of the real "fast" boys were ahead. We did have the satisfaction though of overtaking Emma Trott at one point!

headwinds not that much of an issue on a tandem.
Agree 100%. With a tandem you are always a peloton of two! Quite surprised though that no-one tried to jump on board for a tow.

Got a puncture (only our second ever) about 2 miles before the Therfield control, hoped to limp on and mend it with a cup of tea in hand but it was a bad thorn and was going down as fast as we could pump it up.
Like HK and LWAB we had an upwind ride home. We thought the big storm and heavy rain was coming in somewhere just south of Hertford but it turned out to just be a passing shower and squall. So all in all a much better day than it could have been weatherwise.
Slight inconvenience when we got caught up in the dispersal of the crowd from a Spurs game at White Hart Lane - not easy to keep up an audax pace in those circumstances (and certainly not something we thought to check when planning our route). The joys of living in London!

Phil W

« Reply #67 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:45:00 am »
We were late for the start (should have left at 10.05 and we went away with E group at 10.20 I think) - so possibly avoided the more patronising comments as I guess many of the real "fast" boys were ahead.

It was weird the comments. Never had it when on my own upright bike.  It's almost as though they assumed that because we were moving slower uphill on the tandem "we were struggling" or about to give up.  Anyway they got short shrift from me and Sean. Some enjoyed a bit of banter and were just trying to be friendly, but others clearly were put out when we went flying past on the flats and down hills and they couldn't catch us.   

The other thing I didn't like was some of them cut across the tandem far too close when overtaking uphill. The sort of overtake by a car where you'd call it dangerous. 

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #68 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:50:33 am »
I've never ridden this ride - but comments like the above and

I won't. Last year the roads were full of knobs in lycra riding like tossers. It was grim, and I won't be riding it again. I also had more patronising comments than on any other ride, and that takes some doing.

make me feel I probably never will.

I've never had any issues with club-riders on any rides - to be fair, within the first 2.8549 minutes, they are usually somewhere in the next postcode to me.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #69 on: 28 October, 2013, 12:37:11 pm »
Strangely neither HK or I saw anything particularly untoward during our ride and there was plenty of carbon bling in the vicinity.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #70 on: 28 October, 2013, 01:05:04 pm »
I had an amusing comment made to me while waiting at the top of the hill at Great Chishill for the rest of the group I was riding with from a lady, she said " I feel better now knowing that I have past you".

Also at the moment I seem to be heading for some kind of record,  4 punctures in my last 4 rides also I have also managed to ride my carbon bike now with a broken spoke.

Other than that it was a great day out and it was not as bad as I expected it to be just the odd side wind buffering.

« Reply #71 on: 28 October, 2013, 01:18:34 pm »
Strangely neither HK or I saw anything particularly untoward during our ride and there was plenty of carbon bling in the vicinity.
Same here really. Loads of bling, as I mentioned before, only one riding incident. That was a young man who shot out of the T junction approaching the first control without looking. However, I don't see how you can hold the whole field responsible for one person's youthful incompetence.

« Reply #72 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:35:07 pm »
Chatting to i cycle before the start we mentioned puntures, the first time we rode together he had two and his front lights failed, and he has had his fair share recently. I was thinking it was March the last time I punctured, when I hit a crater in the dark first time out with the Gatorskins, and they could not save me. This seems to have incurred the wrath of the Puncture Fairy who exacted revenge later.

It seemed a bit quiet at the start, less groups of noisy gung-ho riders, and the early part of the ride was not the usual re-enactment of the chariot race in Ben-Hur. Perhaps they only ride in good weather. That is not to say that it was incident free, twice I called "car down" when cars approached on narrow roads, only for this to be taken as a signal to overtake in to the path of the car and then cut up the nearest rider. On the second occasion I did issue a few expletives, more out of shock than anything, suggesting that the rider slows down and learns how to ride safely. Unusually these were riders of no known affiliation, so maybe club riders are getting the message, certainly my club, Team Milton Keynes, has an official Audax section which I represent and promote within the club.

So into the hilly lanes passing one or two roadside repairs, then passed by Wilkyboy as he has done many times this year. At that precise moment I punctured halfway up the hill, and walked to the top were Wilkyboy was waiting. I was looking forward to our first chat since Market Rasen on LEL, and to congratulate him on his achievements. He rode on so we hoped that we would catch up at a control. The Puncture Fairy had other ideas, having found the embedded flint I changed the tube, then the top of the valve snapped so I had to use my last spare tube and pull the Gatorskin Hardshell over the rim again. by then the " Broom Persons " arrived to sweep up the back of the field, so I rode with two nice ladies for a while before putting my foot down, reaching Hare Street on the time limit. Quick turnaround, arranged the loan of a spare tube and off to Saffron Walden.

The Mocha Cafe was fairly empty, and knowing the drag to Gt Chishill was into the wind I took on some refreshment, half the menu off limits because of my gout diagnosis. No real problems with the next section, being built like a German tank has some advantages so the wind was hardly noticable, save for the section from Gt Chishill to Barkway where it met you at the top of each steep climb. On to Therfield where the ladies of the WI were taking a well earned rest after a busy afternoon. This was my game plan anyway to spend time there, so after some playful banter and second helpings of cake it was onto the last section.

The rains came as I reached Weston, and found the bus shelter occupied by a group of young riders, waiting for their friends who had punctured. Clearly learning about Audax hotels at a young age. So on to Stevenage, stayed off the cycle pass for most of the time because of the leaves, throughout the ride I had to be cautious about putting the power down on slippery roads. Got back for tea and toasted teacake, then  home to my youngest son who had come to visit, just time to give him a lift home to his wife and then return for the roast chicken dinner waiting in the fridge.   

A good day out as always, and I shall return for the Start of Summertime  200, visting my favourite place Lavenham.

Phil W

« Reply #73 on: 28 October, 2013, 09:39:03 pm »
Alison was sweeping this year, not sure who the other sweeper was.

RideHard

• The London Grimpeur
  • ACH Organiser
    • Steam Rides & Chiltern Grimpeurs
« Reply #74 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:13:05 pm »
It wasn't so bad.

As Mike says, lots of bling at the start. I felt thoroughly inadequate on steel fixed, rather than 11-speed. Several Dogmas, I think, some Dura-Ace wheels. There was another Pompino around though, and a couple more fixeds including RideHard OTP.

Rode with RideHard for a bit till he RodeHard and my riding was Dross-All of it, so we separated.

Going out so more later...

Fond memories of this ride from way back in my CTC Competition days, even the time when my gear cable broke, my 1st taste of fixed..

Wind assisted ECE, an early start thanks Jim and a nicely undulating course suits fixies well, but high hopes of making back down the A1M bypass in the 'light', were not in the cards on this occasion.

Fueled by seconds of cake thanks to the WI @ THERFIELD FORDHAM control  :P, ensured another Point for my FWC, after my crank/pedal incident :thumbsup:

ACH SR: Dean 300; Steam Ride LOL 200; Quainton Express 100; University Challenge 600; London Circuit 400; C2C; Hadrian's Wall; Chiltern Pub Crawl; White Hart.   2022 AUK: ACH SR; Wessex SR; LEL; LeJog