Author Topic: Bang on the head.....  (Read 4136 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bang on the head.....
« Reply #25 on: 22 August, 2013, 07:18:19 pm »
normal in that it is normal to take some time to recover from a bang on the head.

Not normal in that you are back to normal or that symptoms like that are indicative of normality.

IYSWIM

But I defer to Helen as she knows what she is talking about wheras I am a rank amateur at head injuries.
Normal as in usual or common.

Cattle grids and railway crossings can be nasty things.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #26 on: 22 August, 2013, 07:58:12 pm »
Inadvertently somersaulted a MTB at 35mph when I was 21. Unfortunately, I added an extra half somersault and lost six months memory for a bit.

Signed off work for 3 weeks. Wouldn't have wanted to go back any sooner.

I spent a lot of time in bed, and ended up back at mum's to recuperate.

The only lasting effects in aware of is that it excludes me from a bunch of cool fmri studies.

« Reply #27 on: 22 August, 2013, 10:26:08 pm »
Perhaps you were running on adrenaline immediately after the crash and once you got going again calmed down, which may explain the memory loss after the event? ???

I can only keep eyes open couple mins at a time so can't even read or look at phone. It's really weird as everything seemed five within 2 hours of the crash and 6 days later the after effects seem to have started. Not happy about this at all but I guess it's a good weight loss tactic.

Can't even *think* about doing any exercise which is very rare.

Doesn't seem that weird to me. If you've damaged something and continue to use it, then it seems perfectly logical that using something when it is broken could end up getting even more broken.

GWS so that you can do the WCW in September and get your SR.

« Reply #28 on: 24 August, 2013, 03:17:45 pm »
Well things seem to be improving a bit. Can now stay awake, just weak as a kitten as I'm still nauseous.

How will I know when it's ok to do some exercise without anything going backwards?! It feels like a lifetime since I put any Lycra on. Am starting to get a little twitchy. I certainly don't feel like I can go out and complete a spectacular feat of endurance ;) - just hard to know when to man up and when to leave it a bit

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2013, 03:37:58 pm »
I think you normally lean a little too far towards the 'man up' end of the spectrum, so I'd suggest leaving it a bit longer this time.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #30 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:11:29 pm »
Don Lycra and go cycling when you're 'bouncing like Tigger'. I can't describe that feeling of wellbeing more accurately but you will know it when you feel it.

« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:34:51 pm »
Well that doesn't bode well as I haven't felt like that in over a couple of years!!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »
Try a bowl of Frosties.  :D
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #33 on: 24 August, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »
... the concept of the few minutes of memory loss still disturbs me now.  It's like a bit of my soul is missing.  And I'd like to know if I made a fool of myself.  I got side-swiped by a motorbike at a busy London junction.  Next thing I remember is being on my feet and seeing and hearing the ambulance coming.
I'm pretty sure I didn't make a fool of myself during the spell I can't remember. My memory gap is bounded by the sight of the face of the man who drove me off the road mouthing something inaudible through his closed car window, & sitting on the pavement leaning against a fence, & seeing from the corner of my eye that my bike was leaning against the same fence, with the rear light still on. So I reached out & switched it off, thus finding that my head & neck hurt like hell with the slightest movement. So I stayed still & quiet.

Nobody in sight, not even a car going past. Someone turned up soon afterwards & went for help. He didn't have far to go, as t he Royal Berks Hospital was on the other side of the road.  :thumbsup:

No discernible long-term effect to my brain except that missing minute or two, so despair not, Lady C.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #34 on: 26 August, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »
How will I know when it's ok to do some exercise without anything going backwards?!

How do you think that any of us would know any better than you?
Listen to your body, it will know when it's ready.
The rest of it, this "man up" is just external macho bullshit.
Do what you feel like and enjoy it and when it's not fun then stop.

I think you normally lean a little too far towards the 'man up' end of the spectrum, so I'd suggest leaving it a bit longer this time.

Just a little...

Gentle exercise can be as usefull and productive as the heavy stuff. Just in different ways.

« Reply #35 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
So. I'm feeling lots better now, this is good.

However, yesterday I went out riding and I appear to have a newly developed SEVERE cattle grid issue!!

Luckily, there aren't many in Berks/Bucks, but yesterday I had about 10 to ride over, and I couldn't go over a single one  :'( :facepalm: :-[

Every time I came to one I told myself to stop being ridiculous, got some speed up but then stopped just in front and couldn't bring myself to ride over and walked over instead. This can't go on and is very silly so how do I get over it?!!

« Reply #36 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:48:20 am »
Time. And in the meantime, walk over them.

Don't beat yourself up about it.

« Reply #37 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:56:41 am »
Thanks, I just couldn't decide whether it was too soon for a New Forest Cattle Grid Experience.... or whether I needed a bit more time to get over myself, or whether if I didn't go over them now I'd make The Fear worse, so needed to start riding over them asap!

« Reply #38 on: 02 September, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
Go faster and bunnyhop the whole thing is my technique.

Toady

« Reply #39 on: 02 September, 2013, 12:10:11 pm »
So. I'm feeling lots better now, this is good.
Good to hear you're feeling better.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #40 on: 02 September, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »
Thanks, I just couldn't decide whether it was too soon for a New Forest Cattle Grid Experience.... or whether I needed a bit more time to get over myself, or whether if I didn't go over them now I'd make The Fear worse, so needed to start riding over them asap!

The vibration from going over cattle grids is unpleasant and I'd suggest you avoid them for a month but not get worked up.

Do as I say, not as I do.
She who did the Gridiron on a Brompton (without dismounting).

« Reply #41 on: 02 September, 2013, 02:22:54 pm »
Sorry, but I don't have my copy of how long it should take to get over the fear of  <<whatever it is you're scared of>>
I expect that is because there are no rules about that and it can only be done at your own pace. It's a natural response and nothing to be ashamed of or embarrased about.

I don't know how you came off in the first place and that really puzzles me. I can only guess that you took it very slow and lost your front wheel, you took it on a bend when it was wet and lost it, you didn't hit it square on or there was a groove or rail and you tramlined it and lost it that way.

I prefer to take cattle grids fast (up to 40mph, hill permitting) than slow, but I pick my line before I go over it. If I'm behind a group I often slow down well before the grid just so I can sppeed up and ride over it a bit faster. Firstly, you get a smoother ride over the grid and secondly, if your wheel does start to slide (it hasn't happened to me yet) then extra speed will give extra stability and also give you a better chance of reaching tarmac where you can regain tyre grip and control. I also don't brake on cattle grids. If I need to slow down, I slow down a bit extra vefore the grid and let go of the brakes to ride over the grid. Braking on metal, especially wet metal, is a recipe for skidding.
I think those New Forest grids have rails which can tramline your wheels. The late Dave Lewis had that on an event in the New Forest over 10 years ago and was out of action for a while because of that.

I also check for a big gap or missing rung, especially the first and last. I sometimes jump if there is a missing rung. Not just missing rungs, sometimes the road erodes from the first or last rung which can mean a big gap entering or exiting the grid and possibly ruin your wheels.

If I'm going less than about 8mph, I usualy get off and walk, especially on steep hills in the wet where trying to grind uphill on wet metal could lead to me wheelspinning, stalling and having my front wheel spin around and fall down the gap.

It's similar to mountain biking, it's part confidence and part ability. The trick is to not overestimate your ability (you're easily capable of riding over a cattle grid if you know what the dangers are) but also not to lose confidence. Either do it or don't do it.
DO NOT go into it undecided. When I go mountain biking I always take the cowards option if I'm not entirely sure and I build up my confidence bit by bit.
If you're approaching a grid, then decide well before you get there if you're going to ride over it or not. DO NOT decide to ride over it, then change your mind at the last minute! It might end up with you doing an emergency stop and not stopping until you hit the grid, which probably wouldn't end well.

Following someone else over a grid may help build up your confidence. Starting with well made grids (some are smoother to ride over than others and don;t have grooves or rails)

Just don't feel bad about walking over them and don't put pressure on yourself to be able to ride over them.
I remember crossing a metal grid on an American 1200km ride one wet night at about 25mph and losing my front wheel twice and sliding all over the place. How I never came off, I don't know but when I finally crossed the metal and reached tarmac I was on the wrong side of the road.
I walked over it on the way back, then was spotted by the police and asked if I was OK. ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 02 September, 2013, 02:35:38 pm »
However, yesterday I went out riding and I appear to have a newly developed SEVERE cattle grid issue!!

Give it time.  It'll probably get better (maybe you'll start to be okay with some known cattle grids, in the dry, and take it from there).  Otherwise, you can walk them - as you say, there aren't too many to worry about.

I'm currently having dog issues after being hit by a deer on Saturday morning:  Very nervous about animals running at me from the side.  Need to get that under control, as next time I instinctively swerve into the middle of the road, it might not be as empty.   :-\

Teethgrinder, as ever, talks sense.

« Reply #43 on: 02 September, 2013, 08:03:57 pm »
Sorry, but I don't have my copy of how long it should take to get over the fear of  <<whatever it is you're scared of>>
I expect that is because there are no rules about that and it can only be done at your own pace. It's a natural response and nothing to be ashamed of or embarrased about.
This reminds me.  There is a hill in our village which I really ought to try coming down  again. I've never had an incident on it but it just spooks me.

Wait till you feel ready, LC!
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #44 on: 03 September, 2013, 09:46:10 am »
I was in a bad car accident - it took me a long time to be able to relax in a car.

A rock climbing fall was easier to (psychologically) get over.

Take it easy re: cattle grids. I reckon either walking them or going over fast is best, as said by TG.
<i>Marmite slave</i>