Author Topic: BANG!!! Thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap...  (Read 2694 times)

BANG!!! Thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap...
« on: 13 June, 2010, 08:10:44 pm »
Just cranking it on the final section of a ride today with a stoker whose sight is even worse than mine.   We're giving it some beef round the last roundabout, less than a mile from tea and cake, when this sound like a gunshot renders the middle of Rugby momentarily silent.   

The back tyre had let go in spectacular fashion.   :o   ;D

Despite the fact that we were cranked over, and that the tyre started to peel from the rim, I was able to bring the bike upright and to make a safe stop.  I was amazed because about five years back we had a blowout whilst in a straight line on the old tandem and it bucked and wriggled and slewed all over the shop dumping us onto the tarmac with a spiteful intent.  Margaret Hilda was impeccably well behaved and glided imperiously to a halt.

I haven't yet inspected the damage but I think those Marathon Plus tyres I bught a few weeks back are due a fitting.   8)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: BANG!!! Thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap...
« Reply #1 on: 13 June, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »
Oh bugger.  She did that to me once, too - although to be fair, I think it's a tandem thing, they're very tough on tyres.  We also kept it sunny side up.

Glad you're unscathed  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »
Glad your skill kept ypu unhurt :thumbsup:
Are you now the owner of that very rare thing in cycle wear.....brown lycra ;D

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2010, 09:54:20 pm »
Oooh, nasty. Glad you are ok, that sounds dramatic. :o
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

rdaviesb

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2010, 06:09:26 am »
 :o. Nasty. We had a Marathon Supreme go in similar fashion last year. It completely focussed all my senses, and slowed the world down to a crawl as I tried not to run into the kerb.

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2010, 07:55:51 am »
As it happens Mrs D and I also had a rear blow-out yesterday, but I'm inclined to think it was entirely my own fault - before we set out I pumped up the tyres, and (without sufficient thought) pumped the rear up to the same 120psi I use on my solo.  I think the tyre lifted off the rim!  We were only about 1/4 mile from home when it happened, and no damage to the tyre, so a quick tube replacement and pump-up to a more sensible pressure and we were on our way.

LEE

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:13:39 am »
Make sure there are no slight kinks in the tyre bead when fitting.  My Marathon had one (it was folded when shipped from SJSC) and I didn't bend the kink out enough.  The wheel was still in the kitchen when the tyre blew off the rim.  I thought a bomb had gone off.

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2010, 10:18:26 am »
There was a surreal tear in the fabric of reality where all the traffic stopped instantly, pedestrians jumped, turned or froze, and the rest of the peloton (on solos) enjoyed unrestricted passage around the roundabout.       

And, when I'd walked Margaret home, the tea and cake were waiting for me   ;D   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2010, 10:20:19 am »
Oooh, I had one of these on Saturday, on the front wheel of the recumbent at 30mph down Anerley Hill.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2010, 10:21:52 am »
Glad your skill kept ypu unhurt :thumbsup:
Are you now the owner of that very rare thing in cycle wear.....brown lycra ;D

I've got quite a few items of brown lycra gathered over the years...   :o

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
Need some new tyres?  See my thread here. :thumbsup: ;)

« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2010, 07:48:31 am »
I have a pair of 700cx35's which came at a bargain £10 each new (somebody linked to them on this forum a while back) but I'm not 100% sure that they will squeeze under the guards.

Thankfully MH's previous custodian was thoughtful enough not to cut the protruding ends of the mudguard stays off!   

If I do have trouble I'll be considering the 700cx32's though.   :)

Zoidburg

« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2010, 04:51:36 pm »
The "Thwap thwap thwap thwap thwap" bit made me think this was a NSFW thread.