Author Topic: Can someone explain grease to me...?  (Read 29896 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Can someone explain grease to me...?
« Reply #75 on: 18 February, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »
I too have the prerequisite tin of Castrol LM (Castrol Limited, Swindon, Wilts, England, so pre-dating postcodes), about half of which is still left. I would guess that the bulk of it was used on the hub bearings on my old Claud Butler, acquired in (I think) 1979). I would imagine that the grease is the same vintage.

I must amend my will so that I leave my grease to a deserving YACFer. Kim? It's your thread, so you clearly need to grease it.

Same vintage as me, so it'd be rude not to.  ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #76 on: 19 February, 2015, 09:17:50 am »
Yes Castrol LM owner here too, bought mid-70s.  :thumbsup:
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #77 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:11:11 pm »
It is theorised that copper in contact with the aluminum can cause faster corrosion of the aluminium.

Yes I`ve noted that too!! BUT all performance car sites indicate its useage to avoid corroding of Al onto steel. I also came across an article about copper plate sheets coming off as hip`s hull as the use of iron nails caused galvanic corrosion of the nails which rusted away---but that is just two metals in contact; with Cu grease there is an electrochemical series of Al / Cu / Fe involved and is the Cu component being the `sacrificial` one to avoid a corrosion between Al / Fe?

Sacrifice plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_anode

Got them on the speedboat engine.

« Reply #78 on: 19 February, 2015, 12:28:23 pm »
(It's normally the more reactive metal that is "sacrificed", so not the copper.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #79 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:04:05 pm »
It's only really alloy wheels that seize onto steel car hubs.  Steel wheels almost never do, probably because the contact area is quite small with a pressed steel wheel as well as for galvanic reasons.

Anyway, Castrol is now a brand of BP Lubricants and they only have about half a floor at the Pipers Way site in Swindon.  We have most of the building now.  There are two fabulous Burmese lions guarding the main entrance to the building (a legacy of Burmah Castrol).  Legend has it that they were given to Margaret Thatcher by the Burmese government of the time, and she gave them to Burmah Castrol.  No, I don't know where the "h" in Burmah came from.

http://www.aldricharchive.com/downloads/punchroomburmahcastrol.pdf

EDIT: the fact that one Denis Thatcher was a divisional director of Burmah at the time gives this story at least a whiff of veracity
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #80 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:10:08 pm »

Yes I`ve noted that too!! BUT all performance car sites indicate its useage to avoid corroding of Al onto steel. I also came across an article about copper plate sheets coming off a ships hull as the use of iron nails caused galvanic corrosion of the nails which rusted away---but that is just two metals in contact; with Cu grease there is an electrochemical series of Al / Cu / Fe involved and is the Cu component being the `sacrificial` one to avoid a corrosion between Al / Fe?
I think Faraday was called in to resolve that one.
Rust never sleeps

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #81 on: 26 February, 2015, 09:19:32 pm »
http://corrosion-doctors.org/Definitions/galvanic-series.htm The top of the table always corrodes preferentially, regardless of the number of metals involved.

There are complicating factors (as always). The type of electrolyte and particularly salinity can change things in unexpected directions. The relative surface areas of anode and cathode affects corrosion rate dramatically and may not relate to contact area, provided they are electrically continuous. Some think that copper in grease reduces electrical resistance, increasing corrosion rate.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #82 on: 27 February, 2015, 10:33:48 am »
I too have the prerequisite tin of Castrol LM (Castrol Limited, Swindon, Wilts, England, so pre-dating postcodes), about half of which is still left. I would guess that the bulk of it was used on the hub bearings on my old Claud Butler, acquired in (I think) 1979). I would imagine that the grease is the same vintage.
Postcodes were introduced in 1974. Or 1856, depending on your definition. Click! Castrol was founded in 1899. Click! So I reckon you've got some Edwardian grease there.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #83 on: 07 October, 2015, 10:12:52 am »
ISTR that Dad had a tin of Duckhams LB10 grease which I dipped into as a kid for wheelbearings and bottom bracket bearings and some copaslip IIRC for seatpins, quill stems, etc.   

I did inherit the LB10 grease tin which was about 2/3rd full still but it seems to have been mislaid during the Great Divide*.   I must ask #1 son to see if he can dig it out for me along with my Scalextric and other childhood memorabilia.

*  Divorce.

Samuel D

« Reply #84 on: 07 October, 2015, 11:14:16 am »
This  http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42374#p341163
contains all of the most informed discussion I've ever seen on this topic.

The outcome was a group buy of something that only came in 10kg tubs (or simlar); "colin" agreed to sell it on in senmsible sized bottles. Or something.

I thought I’d highlight this post, since it links to a rather fascinating post by Chris Juden that roughly quintupled my knowledge of grease in five minutes.

(Plus I’ve just bought a tube of Mobilith SHC 1500 from a gentleman selling batches in the classifieds, and it’s good to remind myself why I paid so much for some sticky stuff.)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #85 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:49:01 am »
I've owned a tub of Castrol grease for about 25 years, I mean the SAME tub.

You push down on an internal plate and grease oozes out of a hole on the middle (so it keeps the contents clean).

It has about 1/3 remaining which could keep me going until retirement.

It's just the perfect viscosity to hold ball-bearings in the race until you can get an axle in there.

Every bolt ever refitted on any of my bikes received a dab.

I have a tub of that stuff I inherited from my dad, still going strong, and yes, every bolt gets a dab of grease.  That approach has saved several sweary, tetchy moments over the years.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #86 on: 08 October, 2015, 08:14:30 am »
Partly influenced by this thread and my LBS who use it, I now put copper grease on all threads.
Up the hills and round the bends

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #87 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:17:25 am »
Partly influenced by this thread and my LBS who use it, I now put copper grease on all threads.

I wondered who put copper grease on this thread.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #88 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:21:46 am »

I wondered who put copper grease on this thread.

;D ;D ;D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #89 on: 08 October, 2015, 09:40:11 am »
Glancing quickly at the list of thread titles, I thought someone was asking for an explanation of cheese.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #90 on: 08 October, 2015, 02:19:51 pm »
My worst grease experience was with an old front hub with the wrong dustcap that allowed a lot of rain water in.  The Comma grease (I think it was) completely emulsified with the water and made my balls clatter like mad.

But would even the best waterproof grease survive that degree of abuse, i.e. being mixed vigorously with a large amount of water?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #91 on: 08 October, 2015, 07:36:39 pm »
Boat trailer grease would .
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #92 on: 13 October, 2015, 12:06:51 pm »
This  http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42374#p341163
contains all of the most informed discussion I've ever seen on this topic.

The outcome was a group buy of something that only came in 10kg tubs (or simlar); "colin" agreed to sell it on in senmsible sized bottles. Or something.

I thought I’d highlight this post, since it links to a rather fascinating post by Chris Juden that roughly quintupled my knowledge of grease in five minutes.

(Plus I’ve just bought a tube of Mobilith SHC 1500 from a gentleman selling batches in the classifieds, and it’s good to remind myself why I paid so much for some sticky stuff.)

I think it distills down to "use water pump grease".
Move Faster and Bake Things

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #93 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:07:58 am »
Thread revival. Changing a bottom bracket, new experience for me. I have a tub of the default garage grease, but as I need to grease the BB with an 'anti seize' grease, according to the interweb/YouTube guides, would copper grease be better?

If the answer it STILL boat trailer grease, can someone point me in the direction of a make and perhaps supplier, who sells it in small tubes and NOT 50 GALLON drums please?

Taa.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #94 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:13:57 am »
Copper grease can be bought in 500g tins, smaller tubes (80g at a guess) aerosol can and little 5g sachets from your local motor factors/car accessory shop.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Dave_C

« Reply #95 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:28:42 am »
So you think copper grease is OK? I was concerned it may be abrasive? No? Cheers.

« Reply #96 on: 06 October, 2016, 12:34:28 am »
So you think copper grease is OK? I was concerned it may be abrasive? No? Cheers.

You grease the BB cup threads with copper grease, you don't grease the bearings with it. As the cups should only be moving when you're removing or fitting the BB the abrasiveness is irrelevant
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

Dave_C

« Reply #97 on: 06 October, 2016, 07:46:32 am »
Cheers Cyclops, I have a Shimano bb to fit, after removing a Square taper and Strong light Impact crank. Putting a 105 compact on my winter CX to try out. You organising any more CX rides?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #98 on: 06 October, 2016, 08:03:00 am »
can we have a lithium soap/lithium complex discussion. :facepalm:

Look up marine waterproof grease.

« Reply #99 on: 06 October, 2016, 11:42:54 am »
Copper grease can be bought in 500g tins, smaller tubes (80g at a guess) aerosol can and little 5g sachets from your local motor factors/car accessory shop.

Also available as a Prit Stick sized stick from Loctite which I find more useful and less messy (although quite a bit more expensive than a tube).

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/lubricating-penetrating-oil/loctite-anti-seize-copper-lubricant-20g

(other automotive supply shops/motor factors are available and usually preferred/cheaper - the above link is an example and I'd rather not endorse Halfords products or prices)
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped