Author Topic: Can someone explain grease to me...?  (Read 29852 times)

Re: Can someone explain grease to me...?
« Reply #100 on: 06 October, 2016, 11:44:51 am »
CJs original two part CTC Cycle Touring and Campaigning magazine articles on lube where in the August/September  1992 (starts page 38) and October/November 1992 (starts  page 36):

I have them in my folder of such detailed and trustworthy CTC technical articles: a unique  benefit of the then CTC that has now been removed.

I could scan them and PM if you want?

Samuel D

« Reply #101 on: 06 October, 2016, 11:47:00 am »
Yes please! Do it quick before someone says you shouldn’t!

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #102 on: 06 October, 2016, 02:50:39 pm »
Thread revival. Changing a bottom bracket, new experience for me. I have a tub of the default garage grease, but as I need to grease the BB with an 'anti seize' grease, according to the interweb/YouTube guides, would copper grease be better?

Copper grease is better than ordinary grease for BBs, but sometimes you might want to use threadlocker (Loctite) instead, sometimes just for the left side.  I've used threadlocker to prevent further tightening rather than loosening - which is not normally necessary but helps when there's some misalignment causing the cartridge bearings to bind as a side effect of the cups being very tight.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #103 on: 06 October, 2016, 04:06:31 pm »
I popped out at lunchtime and bought a small toothpaste sized tube of copper grease.

Cheers, Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #104 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:28:58 pm »
CJs original two part CTC Cycle Touring and Campaigning magazine articles on lube where in the August/September  1992 (starts page 38) and October/November 1992 (starts  page 36):

I have them in my folder of such detailed and trustworthy CTC technical articles: a unique  benefit of the then CTC that has now been removed.

I could scan them and PM if you want?
Yes please! Do it quick before someone says you shouldn’t!
if you are pm-ing, think of me too!

cheers

« Reply #105 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:50:44 am »
Perhaps we need a YACF archive library for storing such useful stuff?
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #106 on: 07 October, 2016, 09:55:37 am »
That would be very appreciated, if it's possible, and if someone is willing to do the work.

« Reply #107 on: 08 October, 2016, 11:08:23 am »
I can't see anywhere in a PM to add an attachment?

Samuel D

« Reply #108 on: 08 October, 2016, 11:13:42 am »
You could try this: http://wikisend.com

I believe it expires after a week, but that’s okay. No need to create an account or log in or anything.

Samuel D

« Reply #109 on: 20 October, 2016, 08:31:44 am »
Did you ever manage to get this article online, SA_SA_SA_SA? I’d still love to see it.

« Reply #110 on: 20 October, 2016, 10:17:57 pm »
I read the conditions for that website and felt I would be breaking them .

Ii could proper email them to any PMed proper email addresses.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #111 on: 03 April, 2023, 02:06:25 pm »
Reposting this here for future reference:

They've had several deep immersions in the floods recently, so I repacked and flushed the ancient M737 SPDs using the time-honoured method of filling the body 1/3 full of grease and screwing the bearing assembly back in.

I can't recommend this grease highly enough.  It is an absolute bugger to wash off your hands, but it really works - the M737s never had lip seals so the grease fill is the only thing keeping 8 inches of floodwater out of the innards.   Designed for wheel bearings in boat trailers.

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Ramonol/Universal-Grease-150g-Tube/GMO

« Reply #112 on: 09 April, 2023, 02:52:47 pm »
Someone told me recently that copper grease is to be outlawed. Is this correct?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #113 on: 09 April, 2023, 03:49:10 pm »
Can't think why it would be  ???
Either way, I have a 500g tub of the stuff.
I don't see me running out.

« Reply #114 on: 09 April, 2023, 04:06:36 pm »

They've had several deep immersions in the floods recently, so I repacked and flushed the ancient M737 SPDs using the time-honoured method of filling the body 1/3 full of grease and screwing the bearing assembly back in.

I can't recommend this grease highly enough.  It is an absolute bugger to wash off your hands, but it really works - the M737s never had lip seals so the grease fill is the only thing keeping 8 inches of floodwater out of the innards.   Designed for wheel bearings in boat trailers.

A 500g tub is much better value. Is there anything special about that particular grease, or would any marine grease be similar?

« Reply #115 on: 09 April, 2023, 04:32:34 pm »
Copper in the environment can be toxic, there are a couple of US states that have laws to ban copper in vehicle brake pads.

« Reply #116 on: 09 April, 2023, 07:30:49 pm »

A 500g tub is much better value. Is there anything special about that particular grease, or would any marine grease be similar?

I use K99 which is much the same at half the price. Cost is not really a factor as a 500g pot will last a lifetime* if you're using for bike purposes. The more expensive one is rated to higher temperatures, again not a relevant difference for bike bearings.

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #117 on: 10 April, 2023, 12:45:30 pm »
Morris K99 is slightly cheaper (than Ramonol White Grease) and is calcium based, Ramonol White Grease is lithium based, is there any difference except for the advice not to mix them together?

I've still got a little bit of Duckhams Keenol left and that seems to be lithium based although I do have a newer tub of marine grease which is calcium based and have mixed it with the old Keenol grease in a part.

edit: corrected errors
Ramonol White Grease 500g
A quality Lithium general purpose grease specifically designed for marine use with good adhesive qualities and water resistance.
Ideal for stern glands, steering glands, seacocks and turning blocks,
Please Note: This grease is not suitable for trailer wheel bearings (use Ramonol Universal Grease).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #118 on: 10 April, 2023, 04:37:12 pm »

I use K99 which is much the same at half the price. Cost is not really a factor as a 500g pot will last a lifetime* if you're using for bike purposes. The more expensive one is rated to higher temperatures, again not a relevant difference for bike bearings.
Aha - only £7. Now we're talking!

P.s. what was the asterisk for?!?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #119 on: 10 April, 2023, 04:56:35 pm »
Ramonol Universal is calcium based (calcium sulphonate is the soap).  There are other Ramonol greases.  Castrol CL used to be the easiest calcium grease to get, but is now discontinued.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #120 on: 10 April, 2023, 05:18:20 pm »
https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Ramonol/White-Grease-500g/G9C

Oh, I didn't notice Ramonol Universal Grease and White Grease are two different greases.

There's also Ramonol Advanced Grease:

https://www.force4.co.uk/item/Ramonol/Advanced-Grease-500g/GBR

Does Ramonol have their own website?

« Reply #121 on: 10 April, 2023, 09:06:29 pm »
I have been using Finish Line (white) Premium Grease for +10 years years, and it is the best grease for cup-and-cone bearings I know of. It doesn't wash out easily, nor does it break down. It has a nice texture (not too runny nor too stiff), and because of the colour, it is easy to gauge how contaminated the grease is when inspecting a hub. When inspecting my hubs, even after years of usage, there have always still been adequate grease inside. I have never lost a hub to wear nor corrosion since I started using this grease.

IMHO, the most important properties for a grease is that it stays where it is put, and neither wash out nor emulsify with water, nor deteriorate into white powder like early Lithium Greases tended to do.

Corrosion inhibitors and EP (Extreme Pressure) additives are proven to work and can potentially save money, so I would personally always buy a grease with such additives.

I used to buy my grease in tubes so they fitted my grease gun, but I have now given up on such bicycle brand grease guns (tried Pedro's and Finish Line's models). The problem is that the grease tend to stiffen up inside if they haven't been used a while, and at the same time, Finish Line made the top of their grease tube very flimsy, so the seal breaks easily.

Bought a mini grease gun with a short "needle" for grease with NLGI 2 consistency, and that can be refilled from a tub. It is similar to this Dualco:

That was a massive upgrade, and cheaper grease to boot. Highly recommended. 

For cables, I use Shimano's cable (silicone) grease. Silicone grease is simply superior in every way to ordinary oil and grease when it comes to wire lubrication.
--
Regards

« Reply #122 on: 16 April, 2023, 08:41:42 pm »
It's got groove it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling
often lost.

« Reply #123 on: 20 April, 2023, 06:55:55 am »
I have an unopened tin of lanolin that was left over from WW2. Apparently lanolin was used by the Army Special Boat Service to defeat the Nazis. I had quite a lot of it when I had boats, it was excellent stuff for use on electrics.

There is a modern version:

Coming from a lanolin base means Lanoguard doesn’t damage the environment.
Being non-toxic there is also no need for protective clothing and it does not stain.
Lanoguard is non-conductive to 70kVA so it can be used around most batteries without issue
It can resist jet washing to 200 bar
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #124 on: 20 April, 2023, 07:32:26 am »
No good for vegans, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.