Author Topic: Super-Twat  (Read 897145 times)

Re: Super-Twat
« Reply #5325 on: 29 January, 2022, 12:42:35 am »
I'd love to know where they got this figure of £500k from.

I rather suspect that if you or I were to google "charter flight to australia" and phone up the first on the list and ask how much for an Airbus this week, we'd get quoted something of the order of half a million quid.

Now, imagine what might get reported if that's how a journalist did their research.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5326 on: 29 January, 2022, 12:48:52 am »
Mr Google, he say:

No results found for "self-drive Airbus hire".

Awwwwwwwww :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5327 on: 29 January, 2022, 05:21:48 am »
£6-8k is about what it costs to fly business to Australia, and I don't think unreasonable, it's a long way.

I'm minded there's no real story here.

The real story is why we're in a position of needing to send delegations to Australia to negotiate trade deals in the first place. The true cost of all this is probably much higher than half a million pounds.

Regardless of whether the figures for the flight quoted are correct and/or justified, Truss is still a massive twat for many other reasons.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5328 on: 29 January, 2022, 06:56:17 am »
I expect having a plane just sitting around parked up and waiting for hours or even days with a crew and all associated costs of it being both away from base and unavailable for other use tends to rack up costs pretty rapidly.

« Reply #5329 on: 29 January, 2022, 07:20:07 am »
And can we nominate Mr Young for an anti-ST award ?
And the sainted Joni too !!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-60177933
Rust never sleeps

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #5330 on: 29 January, 2022, 07:52:40 am »
I expect having a plane just sitting around parked up and waiting for hours or even days with a crew and all associated costs of it being both away from base and unavailable for other use tends to rack up costs pretty rapidly.

The aeroplane is on a full-time lease for Government (not military) use only. What else is it supposed to be doing?

« Reply #5331 on: 29 January, 2022, 08:08:34 am »
The point is though that dead time in Australia still costs money.  Taxpayer money.

Who knows what it might have been doing or even if in fact it would be under utilised and thus be an even more egregious burn of taxpayer money.

Heaven forbid that having dedicated planes is nothing more than a vanity project and ego trip.

« Reply #5332 on: 29 January, 2022, 09:59:17 am »
The point is though that dead time in Australia still costs money.  Taxpayer money.

Who knows what it might have been doing or even if in fact it would be under utilised and thus be an even more egregious burn of taxpayer money.

All that depends on the detail of the lease contract for the plane, the crew costs, the fuel and airport handling fees and whether that cost in total is less than the cost of the commercial flight tickets it displaces over the period of the lease.  Given the lease contract is almost certainly for a period of years I would think, trying to work out whether an individual trip saves or costs money is fraught with difficulties.

And that’s before you bring in discussions on physical and communication security etc.  I am in no way saying it did in this case as it would require replanning way beyond the historical capabilities of our current government but there are easily imaginable scenarios where dead time in Australia cost almost nothing. 

My concern is more whether the flight was really necessary at all given the many tonnes of CO2 it pumped high into the atmosphere or whether it was just to top up Truss’s vitamin D levels prior to an energy sapping challenge for Bozo’s job.

TimC

« Reply #5333 on: 29 January, 2022, 11:24:22 am »
I’m sure an FOI request would reveal the lease costs with Titan, who provide the aircraft and (I believe) the crew and maintenance.

The requirement for provision of air travel at all is something I suspect many YACFers are never going to agree with, whatever justification is put forward. There is a tendency here to argue that if it can’t be done by Zoom or by bicycle, then it shouldn’t happen. But the world doesn’t work like that, and incremental changes in equipment and behaviour are what you’re going to get, whether you like it or not.

The A321s (I believe there are, or will be, 2 of them) have effectively replaced the 4 or 5 BAe 146s of 32 (The Royal) Sqn at RAF Northolt. Those aircraft were around 35 years old, were very dirty by modern standards, had a very limited range, but cost more than the 321s to maintain and fly. They also belonged to the RAF, so had potentially overriding military or Royal tasks that could render them unavailable to the Government. The A321s are brand new, have no military role, and are among the most efficient aircraft in the air.

I don’t have the data, but - Covid times aside - I suspect that diplomatic/trade missions are smaller and less common than they once were, despite the fact of Brexit meaning that they are rather more necessary than they were when we were in the EU and those things were an EU responsibility. In my days in the RAF, one or more of 10 Sqn’s VC10s would be pretty much permanently on Government duties. And yes, they had a posh fit for pollies/Royals even then.

The passenger VC10s disappeared in the late 90s, and by the time I joined Virgin in 1998 the U.K. Government had gone to a pretty much all-commercial policy except for a very few high-profile trips - PM to the United Nations, that sort of thing. To provide the flexibility and reliability of communication they wanted, 100 seats a day in each direction were contracted with Virgin to Washington. 100! At almost full fare; no big commercial discount because governments never negotiate anything in advance. About 10% of those were in business class, 90% economy. The daily cost in 2002 was around £100,000. Every day. That’s just one destination, though Washington was undoubtedly the biggest. That contract ended in around 2012, and they went to individual booking. I think that ended up costing them more! I don’t know what the situation is now, but I have no doubt that using the A321s is saving them a fortune.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5334 on: 29 January, 2022, 11:45:08 am »
I have seen elsewhere a figure for the lease of the A321 of £75 million for two (2) years.  I have also seen elsewhere, and noted in POBI, that Cheesoid and party recently travelled to Norn Iron on an Avro RJ-85* chartered from Jota Aviation.  Jota is owned by one Simon Dolan, a notable Covidiot, Trump fanboi, general conspiraloon and Brexit supporter so infused with an abiding love of BRITAIN that he lives in, er, Monaco.  I wonder if by any chance he’s made any donations to the Conservative Party recently?

* reworked version of the BAe 146

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #5335 on: 29 January, 2022, 09:09:44 pm »
Please can someone confirm that whatever this flight did cost, and all analagous costs for other trade negotiations, are added up together and put against the mahoosive brexit dividend that will surely reach these shores someday  ::-)  in the spirit of accurate accounting, y'know.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5336 on: 29 January, 2022, 10:58:34 pm »
Also add a new pair of shoes for Huw Merriman...

TimC

« Reply #5337 on: 30 January, 2022, 02:18:47 am »
I have seen elsewhere a figure for the lease of the A321 of £75 million for two (2) years.  I have also seen elsewhere, and noted in POBI, that Cheesoid and party recently travelled to Norn Iron on an Avro RJ-85* chartered from Jota Aviation.  Jota is owned by one Simon Dolan, a notable Covidiot, Trump fanboi, general conspiraloon and Brexit supporter so infused with an abiding love of BRITAIN that he lives in, er, Monaco.  I wonder if by any chance he’s made any donations to the Conservative Party recently?

£75m is not credible. The lease cost of a Boeing 747-400 in 2019 was around £750k a month. That’s a dry, long-term lease, but a wet lease of a very much smaller aircraft isn’t going to be 5 or more times the price of a 747. That said, £37bn for test and trace…

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5338 on: 30 January, 2022, 11:32:37 am »

£75m is not credible. The lease cost of a Boeing 747-400 in 2019 was around £750k a month. That’s a dry, long-term lease, but a wet lease of a very much smaller aircraft isn’t going to be 5 or more times the price of a 747. That said, £37bn for test and trace…

I didn’t think it was credible either, since the list price of a brand-new A321 is apparently £79 million.  OK, you still have to find crew and maintenance and wotnot, and put petril in it, but after two years you at least have a barely run-in A321.  Having said that, the lease was tacked onto .gov's existing contract with CTM and not put out to tender or subject to any kind of accountability or checked for any connection to Dido Queen of Carnage or nuffink.

« Reply #5339 on: 30 January, 2022, 12:22:10 pm »
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5340 on: 30 January, 2022, 12:25:22 pm »
Recently-ennobled private healthcare fanboi and Super-Twat Daniel Hannan attributes all BRITAIN'S problems to an intransigent, incompetent, politically-motivated Civil Service, which is probably “woke” to boot.  No, Danny-boy, that not how it works.  Even if it was some low-echelon clod in the Ministry of Cow-Counting* who signed off on the £14 million contract awarded to a ferry company with no fucking ships the responsibility ultimately lies with the Minister, because that’s what he’s paid for.

* © ScaryDuck

TimC

« Reply #5341 on: 30 January, 2022, 05:28:16 pm »
It seems that the 75 million is a maximum price.
https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/government-pay-75m-for-exclusive-use-of-charter-aircraft/

Ok, £75m over 5 years is a little more credible than over 2, and I’m sure that the maximum is exactly what will be charged. It’s interesting that the article suggests that Royal use is included; just now I think that the Royal household will avoid most air travel, and would probably continue to use fully military resources for security reasons when HMQ is involved, and regular commercial flights for most of the others.

Also interesting that the article refers to £10m for the Voyager upgrade. Most of that was the cost of the ‘D’ check which it needed anyway, plus the installation of additional military kit which the whole fleet was getting. The additional cost for the 58 business class seats and IFE system was probably around £1.5m. But, probably to Boris’ consternation, this is an active military aircraft with a day job to do.

A Voyager on its day job with no pollies around.

(C) MoD Crown Copyright.

citoyen

« Reply #5342 on: 30 January, 2022, 05:45:53 pm »
Mason Greenwood (Manchester United footballer, for those who don't know).

I just heard something on the radio saying he's been "accused" of stuff on social media, but on reading more about it, that sounds like typical BBC equivocation and apparently the videos and pictures that were posted by his girlfriend were pretty unambiguous.

But since this is now in the hands of the law, maybe best leave it there.

« Reply #5343 on: 04 February, 2022, 02:49:11 pm »
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5344 on: 04 February, 2022, 03:13:49 pm »
That is outrageous. Almost charge-worthy I would have thought.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5345 on: 04 February, 2022, 03:32:21 pm »
Does Jimmy Carr have a mention yet ?   :sick:   https://twitter.com/thatbloodyMikey/status/1489599828707397635?s=20&t=FZ51XcZGFzGATtvVq0jkUw

That's well past the "It's comedy, don't be a snowflake" territory and into the 'racial hatred incitement' country.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #5346 on: 04 February, 2022, 04:16:46 pm »
Even by Jimmy Carr's standards, that's poor.

ian

« Reply #5347 on: 04 February, 2022, 06:21:06 pm »
The clip is cut for effect, he leaves it 10 seconds for the audience to think wtf? That is his standard schtick, like it or not, say something awful, let the audience and laugh themselves into an awkward really, we're laughing at that.

In other news, people offended on Twitter, demanding that whatever it is must be stopped. I'm all for offending people on Twitter.

« Reply #5348 on: 04 February, 2022, 06:46:30 pm »
That cunt on QT last night.

The one who is now my avatar

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah