Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576138 times)

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #925 on: 27 October, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »
Lurgy: I haz it :(

Meep, hope you get well before the November audax

Chris S

« Reply #926 on: 27 October, 2011, 07:36:43 pm »
Lurgy: I haz it :(

You didn't take enough Vitamin C after the weekend, did you?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #927 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »
Out of the batteries and USB wifi dongle (to enable us to watch iplayer on the new Humax PVR) I ordered from 7dayshop on Sat and which I have been gagging to play with, the batteries arrived today, along with a card saying the other package was too big for the letterbox.
It's only a dongle, how big a box does it need???

No gadget to play with. Meh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #928 on: 27 October, 2011, 10:18:57 pm »
You didn't take enough Vitamin C after the weekend, did you?

I thought the McDonalds would fend it off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #929 on: 28 October, 2011, 12:56:17 am »
Out of the batteries and USB wifi dongle (to enable us to watch iplayer on the new Humax PVR) I ordered from 7dayshop on Sat and which I have been gagging to play with, the batteries arrived today, along with a card saying the other package was too big for the letterbox.
It's only a dongle, how big a box does it need???

No gadget to play with. Meh.
lso included.

IME Dongles are packaged in boxes 5-6 cm deep * 10-12 cm wide & long.
USB extension cables are sometimes a

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #930 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:07:31 am »
Alcohol + Metronidazole -> Antabuse reaction.
Truly horrible as I understand it.
Don't try.
GWS NSTN!

I forgot which antibiotics I was on once*... :facepalm:

:sick: :sick: :sick:

DO NOT mix alcohol and Metronidazole  :facepalm:

*It was at a time when I was taking so many antibiotics for different things, thanks to a suppressed immune system.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #931 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:19:20 am »
In my experience metronidazole is vile enough without added boozahol.  They once put me on doxy and met together for a 3 week course to nuke sinusitis; I managed 2 before my digestive system totally gave up.  I don’t like antibiotics, I don't get on well with many of them.

« Reply #932 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:42:02 am »
Tell me about it...I'm never in a rush to take the buggers as they generally result in another lot of delightful side effects which I won't go into here  :(

It wouldn't be so bad if it was actually doing something but I've been on them for over 36 hours and so far the pain has only got worse  :'( I'm not a patient patient....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #933 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:38:31 am »
Wow ... all these tales of antibiotic woe make me glad I'm teetotal :)
Now oral anti-hyperglycaemic drugs, *they* have some interesting side effects (some of which will affect people within about a 5 mile radius ;) )

To be fair, though, I've never really had anything which hasn't responded to a few days amoxicillin, this sodding periapical abscess included although it's days are very much numbered (root-canal surgery on Tuesday) - however, I do have the deepest sympathy for anyone who is suffering prolonged dental pain.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #934 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:49:19 am »
Just to add to the fun of the time I was on Met, the Doc was obviously having an off day, bearing in mind I had a fistula.  He gave me Co-codamol (as well as the Met) to help manage the pain.....

That was the time I found that Co-codamol 1) don't agree with me 2) last EXACTLY 6 hours....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #935 on: 28 October, 2011, 09:59:37 am »
Just to add to the fun of the time I was on Met, the Doc was obviously having an off day, bearing in mind I had a fistula.  He gave me Co-codamol (as well as the Met) to help manage the pain.....

That was the time I found that Co-codamol 1) don't agree with me 2) last EXACTLY 6 hours....
Why let the bottom fall out of your world when the world can fall out of your bottom ...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #936 on: 28 October, 2011, 12:30:57 pm »
I have a friend who's had fun with metformin in the past - horrible stuff! 

I'm virtually teetotal so not drinking while on antibiotics is just a default for me.  Even if it wasn't problematic I go on the logic that my body doesn't need any more toxins than absolutely necessary while dealing with lurgy + antibiotics.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #937 on: 28 October, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
I have a friend who's had fun with metformin in the past - horrible stuff! 
Apparently one of the side effects of metformin is weight loss ... I'm still waiting for that to kick in :)

« Reply #938 on: 28 October, 2011, 02:37:28 pm »
In my experience metronidazole is vile enough without added boozahol.  They once put me on doxy and met together for a 3 week course to nuke sinusitis; I managed 2 before my digestive system totally gave up.  I don’t like antibiotics, I don't get on well with many of them.
Snap. But I only had to stop the metronidazole back then. I was given doxy on its own last week, & it screwed my stomach. Pain, nausea, complete loss of appetite. It's part of the reason why I'm still here & not in Japan with Mrs B. Some flu-like virus did the rest. 3 kg lighter & feeling too weak & woozy to travel.

Amoxicillin now, although the doc's a little worried that it might not be potent enough. Much better, but my gut's still giving me a little trouble.

I used to be able to take any antibiotic with no problem. Nowadays my gut won't take them. With my bloody sinuses, that's a problem.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #939 on: 28 October, 2011, 02:59:53 pm »
Oi. Grass.  It's nearly November.  Give me a break, will you?
Mind you, I have been away for a while.  I think I could do the first pass with a combine harvester.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #940 on: 28 October, 2011, 07:37:37 pm »
BBC Breakfast Time presenter people.  When discussing about feeding birds in the garden and talking about the clocks going back, don't say the birds have now got an hour's less daylight to forage for food. 

On Sunday, there's about 2 minutes less daylight compared with Saturday.   ::-)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #941 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:05:09 pm »
Ubuntu 10.04: You are giving me enough shite with my laptop touchpad & USB mouse. So why do you not talk to Yahoo properly and instead display the mobile version of the Yahoo homepage? I don't have the patience for linux, I'm afraid... As Private Frazer would say: "You're doomed!"...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #942 on: 28 October, 2011, 08:52:49 pm »
BBC Breakfast Time presenter people.  When discussing about feeding birds in the garden and talking about the clocks going back, don't say the birds have now got an hour's less daylight to forage for food. 

On Sunday, there's about 2 minutes less daylight compared with Saturday.   ::-)

Strictly true, but in fairness to the presenters, who probably hadn't thought of this anyway, I will be putting the food out an hour later.  At least, I would be if I wasn't struggling round an Audax.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #943 on: 28 October, 2011, 10:38:38 pm »
washing machine manufacturer, why did you design your product so that neither the back nor the side nor the front (apparently) come off.  and why is that rubber band thingy so taut I can't possibly pull it back into place.  and with aforementioned lack or removable outers how am I supposed to see what caused the rubber band to fall off anyway.
anyone would think you want me to buy a new one.  as Mr WashingMAchineRepairMan seemed to be on his last legs about 6 years ago that is what I will probably have to do, what a waste ...

(it's a tricity bendix cdw 1000 if anyone actually knows anything about it, from about 1994)

it makes a nice collection with the dead fill valve on the loo ad the leaky kettle though.  I forsee an exciting weekend ahead of me ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #944 on: 29 October, 2011, 07:25:42 am »
Have you tried googling for the service manual?
Does that mfg still exist?  If so, an email to customer service might help.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #945 on: 29 October, 2011, 01:15:44 pm »
tried that - only found the user instructions which I have already.
Anyway, I found a bearing rolling around on the floor this morning so I have decided it is beyond be and am getting a replacement.

Anyone want a working waching machine motor - I think you can use them to make a generator but I don't know how ...
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #946 on: 29 October, 2011, 04:10:02 pm »
Don't most basic electric motors produce electricity if you passively spin the armature? Simples...

« Reply #947 on: 30 October, 2011, 10:25:35 am »
Bah, I only had a cold the week before last. Why have I woken up (been woken up by) a mega sore throat? I shouldn't get ill again for a good while yet.

And I've got loads that needs doing today but now just want to hibernate.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #948 on: 30 October, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »
Don't most basic electric motors produce electricity if you passively spin the armature? Simples...

Yes, they can be made to, however washing machine motors are not basic.
They are not simple beasts which just sync up to the mains frequency.

They have several windings, and a tacho arrangement too.
They need to be driven by deep-magic controllers to regulate their speed.
They are capable of very high speeds if not regulated by the negative feedback system from the tacho to the controller.
This is how they can run tis way and that, at a wide range of speeds for washy washy and spinny spinny.

They are non-trivial things to spin up in a DIY bodge.

If you want to make an alternator, I'd choose a different donor part:-)

--
F

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #949 on: 30 October, 2011, 02:14:41 pm »
I am out of bouillon powder and quite fancied a risotto tonight. I have no money to buy new powder because payday is tomorrow and I am Skinty McSkint. So I thought I would improvise a stock out of white wine, water, bay leaf, pepper and a bit of Marmite. Except I appear to be out of Marmite. If I'd known, I would have got some more.
I got more. And then I found the other one.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.