Author Topic: Creaky Moulton  (Read 1697 times)

Creaky Moulton
« on: 06 November, 2023, 12:14:07 pm »
My new to me Moulton has started making creaking noises with pedalling especially when pushing hard. The noise appears to be coming from the rear suspension. It disappears when not pedalling or pedalling easy. It has the rubber cone Monosphere rear suspension. I took this apart but found it ok and on repeated compression and release is silent. That only leaves the suspension bearings. the bike is 5 years old and no idea what its service history might be.

Has anyone else had these symptoms on their Moulton, and before I strip down the bearings, any advice?

Thanks
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Dingham

• Small wheels better?
Re: Creaky Moulton
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2023, 12:43:19 pm »
Had similar on my nearly new Cone and it disappeared when I swapped the pedals out, even though I’d convinced myself it wasn’t them.  Failing that, if you have a grease nipple on the rear suspension pivot it may help to inject some grease (grease gun).

« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2023, 12:55:49 pm »
Bottom bracket?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:13:58 pm »
Sometimes creaks can be from the seatpost moving in the seat tube. Solving creaks is a matter of eliminating possibilities, from common to rare. Any bike with more bits, like a Moulton or a Brompton, has more opportunity to produce creaks.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2023, 01:18:26 pm »
The first rule of creaks is that they're never coming from where it sounds like they're coming from.

« Reply #5 on: 09 November, 2023, 03:14:06 pm »
Thanks for all your advice. The bearing was bone dry so even it wasn't the source then it was worth doing.
But it was so it was.
Pedals - good suggestion as I've had creaky pedals before. BB and seat post checked out ok.
One happy silent Moulton owner now.

Cheers
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #6 on: 09 November, 2023, 06:00:43 pm »
Thanks for all your advice. The bearing was bone dry so even it wasn't the source then it was worth doing.
But it was so it was.
Pedals - good suggestion as I've had creaky pedals before. BB and seat post checked out ok.
One happy silent Moulton owner now.

Cheers

This happened to me - it was the rear suspension pivot and bushes, which hadn't been properly lubricated and wore out after just 2,000 miles or so.  Replaced free of charge by Moulton, with a bit more mileage I keep checking thist as a key maintenance point.

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.