Author Topic: Anyone have Hive for CH/HW etc?  (Read 3927 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Anyone have Hive for CH/HW etc?
« Reply #25 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:41:16 pm »
I got the email too. I tend to use the Webpage for editing strings and the app for looking, boosting etc. The app wasn't very good for changing settings, from memory.

They have maybe discovered that there isn't an income stream from selling hardware that has a (somewhat) limited market, and be looking to reduce costs and ultimately go for subscription.

Precisely - the nail and the hammer in perfect alignment.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #26 on: 08 November, 2023, 03:50:01 pm »
Also in the email:

IFTTT Automation partnership is ending From 31st January 2024 ‘If This Then That’ (IFTTT) applets will no longer be supported within the Hive app. From this date any automation you have created using IFTTT will not work. This change doesn’t impact our other partnerships.

So your automated home won't be as automated.  Centrica really do suck.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #27 on: 08 November, 2023, 04:11:35 pm »
I didn't know anything about IFTTT until about 10 minutes ago - a quick Google and I found a summary of features - have to say I can't envisage significant numbers of users wanting any or all of the features - "the link from Strava to signal Hive to boost your HW as you near the end of a run?"  - "your BMW, when it's 30 miles from, home telling Hive to start the CH?" - and more . . .  "a command that activates the thermostat and hot water control as soon as the temperature outside drops below 5°C" - the Thermostat user-set minimum temperature setting for the interior of the house is surely more relevant and economical?

. . . again there's logic in BG sticking to its core business.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 08 November, 2023, 06:13:55 pm »
Can you tell it *not* to run heating if $condtion?  Because that's definitely useful.  My heating controller is programmed not to run the heating if a window[1] or door[2] is open, for example.

[1] Other than the bathroom.
[2] Other than the front door, when someone hasn't pressed the squelch button before opening it.

« Reply #29 on: 09 November, 2023, 02:11:55 pm »
I didn't know anything about IFTTT until about 10 minutes ago - a quick Google and I found a summary of features - have to say I can't envisage significant numbers of users wanting any or all of the features - "the link from Strava to signal Hive to boost your HW as you near the end of a run?"  - "your BMW, when it's 30 miles from, home telling Hive to start the CH?" - and more . . .  "a command that activates the thermostat and hot water control as soon as the temperature outside drops below 5°C" - the Thermostat user-set minimum temperature setting for the interior of the house is surely more relevant and economical?
Depends on the heating system, but maybe more efficient if you factor in the outside temperatures and weather. ie you could maintain a constant indoor temperature, by turning on the heating before the temperature drops.
Or could vary the flow temperature. Or switch to a different source of heating.

Though I'm sure there are better ways of doing that, instead of relying on IFTTT.

robgul

« Reply #30 on: 09 November, 2023, 02:37:18 pm »
Depends on the heating system, but maybe more efficient if you factor in the outside temperatures and weather. ie you could maintain a constant indoor temperature, by turning on the heating before the temperature drops.
Or could vary the flow temperature. Or switch to a different source of heating.

Though I'm sure there are better ways of doing that, instead of relying on IFTTT.

I've fiddled around with time periods etc for the CH and what we have set seems to work for us/our house . . . the house excluding 2 bedrooms and sitting room : on at 19 from 0630-0830, on at 19 from 1615-1815 and 20 from 1815-21.45 - then with sitting room on too (using a Hive TRV) 1715-2100.  No heat overnight.  Unless it's really cold outside it's OK - if necessary we sometimes give in and override the schedule about 1500.   

Fitting the Hive TRVs to use as "time switches" on 2 rads in the sitting room last winter made about 12.5% difference (reduction) in our gas consumption compared with the previous year.  The TRvs are set at the same temperature as the main thermostat so will match the house temperature for their scheduled period - they do not speak to the boiler.

« Reply #31 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:28:51 pm »
Does anyone have a refer a friends code for Hive they'd like to bung me???

robgul

« Reply #32 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:38:20 pm »
Does anyone have a refer a friends code for Hive they'd like to bung me???

No code - but Hive website is showing 20% off pretty much everything for the next 4 days or so????

« Reply #33 on: 05 January, 2024, 01:44:52 pm »
Indeed. But any referral code would make a big dint in the cost of this EV charger thingy.

« Reply #34 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:14:08 pm »
I can generate a code that gives you £30 off orders of the EV charger made on the Hive website. Is that the one you mean?

Edit: if that is the one, Robgul, you could try in the app, go to Account, Refer a Friend, and it comes up with a page about getting a free light if your referee buys the hub. But, at the bottom of that page is a "give £30 off" which is for the EV charger. As the referrer, you get £15 off. I don't intend buying any more Hive kit so wouldn't use that £15, but if you would, and it's the code L CC wants, then go for it...

« Reply #35 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:28:07 pm »
I can generate a code that gives you £30 off orders of the EV charger made on the Hive website. Is that the one you mean?

That is the one!

Thank you  :-*

robgul

« Reply #36 on: 05 January, 2024, 02:36:39 pm »

That is the one!

Thank you  :-*

I've just done that and sent you a PM with a code - hope it works!

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 15 February, 2024, 11:07:56 am »
The shysters have illegally signed everyone up for Heating Plus without their consent.  It is chargeable after the trial period.  I recommend you all open the Hive app and cancel the subscription forthwith.

robgul

« Reply #38 on: 15 February, 2024, 11:50:29 am »
The shysters have illegally signed everyone up for Heating Plus without their consent.  It is chargeable after the trial period.  I recommend you all open the Hive app and cancel the subscription forthwith.

Good call Roger (esp as I'm going away for a month from today!) - cancelling requires some non-obvious extra swipes on the website too .... fuckers.  However, AFAIK I have no payment method set up with Hive so I'm not sure how they could get payment?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 15 February, 2024, 12:38:28 pm »
I have "No active subscriptions"
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #40 on: 15 February, 2024, 12:47:48 pm »
From the email entitled "Team up with your new best friend – Hive Heating Plus" sent to me four days after it was activated (activated 20/1, email 24/1)

After the 1 month's free trial, this subscription will not automatically renew and you will not charged.

So I'm not seeing a problem. I also have no active payment methods.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #41 on: 15 February, 2024, 06:26:19 pm »
just checked on mine, and it says ''start your free months trial of heating plus', by pressing the blue button, which i havn't done. So where are they tricking you?

« Reply #42 on: 15 February, 2024, 06:43:53 pm »
I didn't start the trial, they did it automatically and sent an email a few days later, which I don't really care about - I'm not going to use any of the features, they can't bill me, so whatever. But I'm not sure what RZ has seen.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 15 February, 2024, 08:30:11 pm »
just checked on mine, and it says ''start your free months trial of heating plus', by pressing the blue button, which i havn't done. So where are they tricking you?

Indeed. I also didn't click the button (I have no idea what Heating Plus is). While I am opposed to ads injected into apps on the moral principle they make me feel murdery, this one was easily evaded.

It will save pounds off my bill apparently. So would moving to an equatorial climate.

rogerzilla

« Reply #44 on: 15 February, 2024, 08:39:04 pm »
They told me they'd opted me in anyway.  I definitely clicked "remind me later" (there was no "knob off and never bother me again" option).