Poll

If you are thinking of coming on this ride on 27/28 September, would you prefer to do the Middle Road, or my Norfolk route? (Read below before voting)

Middle Road 600
5 (55.6%)
Norfolk DIY 600
3 (33.3%)
I don't care
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Teethgrinders' September (600) special  (Read 24371 times)

Teethgrinders' September (600) special
« on: 21 July, 2008, 10:42:18 pm »
Middle Road 600: Very accurate distance wise. Also has a routesheet so it will mean that faster riders can press on ahead. I know the route without needing a routesheet, so if we are together, absolutely no navigation issues. I will look after the slowest, but if I don't think you have a chance of finishing I will do what I can to help you get rescued or get yourself home. But don't start the ride if you have no real chance of finishing please. This route has some hills though. Worst of them are in Rutland, it also has very flat stages from Lincoln to the turn at Howden (approx 160km) You'll probably notice the hills in the last 100km too.

Norfolk 600: A more meandering route, so if it is windy, we won't have 250km of constant headwind at a time. I think it more scenic (but I've ridden the Middle Road sooo many times now) The terrain is probably much easier. Last time I rode this route I ended up doing about 630km. I may be able to chop some of that off if I get round to studying the maps and checking things, but it will probably mean a lot of stopping for map checks on the ride, which will cost us time. Maybe someone who wants to ride has a satnav or some other navigation device which is fast and reliable? (I wouldn't use one myself, yet)

Both rides have a sleeping oppurtunity at Travelodges, which I'll probably book anyway. Even an hour in bed can make your ride.

Norfolk route Travelode is about 400km, Middle Road is about 370km.

Re: Teethgrinders' Sepetember (600) special
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
Two in one month? You getting bored?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2008, 10:58:14 pm »
I'll be in America, otherwise I'd come along and wow you with my improved 600 skillz.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2008, 11:05:45 pm »
Two in one month? You getting bored?
Two? Have I promised to ride one on another weekend too?
Ah well, never mind, I'll do both if it keeps everyone happy ;D

Two a month, hah!
That's slacking in my book! ;D
(remembers last season when I was riding 1000km a week for 2 months)

I'll be in America, otherwise I'd come along and wow you with my improved 600 skillz. 

You allready did that by finishing the Bryan Chapman :thumbsup:
I'll let you off not coming, this time, but only because you'll be touring.
You'll have a lot of fun touring in America.
But, if you are really keen on showing me your prowess at riding a 600, you only have to let me know and I'm sure that we can arrange a 600.

I'll look forward to hearing from you and will look forward to your (and Charlottes) company on another 600.
By the way Liz and Charlotte, are busy this Christmas? Shame to waste all those holidays from work by watching crap telly. Soooo much better to be getting some winter miles in. Gets you good and tough so that summer 600s are a doddle ;D
I'll pencil you two in.
Shall I?

chris

• (aka chris)
Re: Teethgrinders' September (600) special
« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2008, 07:51:40 am »
I mentioned this to Mrs Chris, and she said that I could do it. She didn't even charge me any brownie points! My vote is for the Norfolk route, although I would happily do the Middle Road, which passes about 150 metres from home (Moulton just NE of Northampton), and we could make use of it for food, water, sleep etc.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #5 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:00:15 am »
I'm definitely in and have already booked the Friday off work.
Not fussed about which route.

Rich.

« Reply #6 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:35:15 am »
I'm heading off to Forn Parts as well (though the cycle-touring part doesn't come in till November when I reach Australia), so will be declining this kind offer.  Plus I already did my 600 for the season ;D

However I can strongly recommend the Teethgrinder September 600 Experience to anyone considering it - the Middle Road last year was most enjoyable.  Er, for "cycling 600k in 40 hours" values of "enjoyable"... 

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:41:26 am »
I'll pencil you two in.
Shall I?

Please.

I need another 600 to complete my fixed SR this season and was considering one in early October when we get back from the states.

Options are Cambridge-York-Cambridge, Epsom-Lincoln-Epsom or the Middle Roads.  Mind you - this Norfolk 600 sounds fun, too.  If you don't ride it in September (maybe the Middle Roads would be better for n00bs) then let's do the Norfolk ride the month after.

I have just got my GPS working and would be happy to plot it all out on that  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

frere yacker

« Reply #8 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:09:48 am »
If you are thinking of coming on this ride on 27/28 September, would you prefer to do the Middle Road, or my Norfolk route?

Rather sadly, I found this question loaded with double entendre.  Too much time spent having party-party over the past month.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #9 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:30:24 am »
Count me in.

I haven't voted yet.  I see pros and cons to both routes but at the moment neither sticks out as 'better'.  I'll vote as soon as possible...
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:54:41 am »
I am in two minds as to whether I come along and watch Charlotte suffer on fixed, or whether I have an "I'm not doing a 600" weekend of utter debauchery.

Hmmm....

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:55:52 am »
I am in two minds as to whether I come along and watch Charlotte suffer on fixed, or whether I have an "I'm not doing a 600" weekend of utter debauchery.

Hmmm....

Or ride your new soot bike and have it easy?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 22 July, 2008, 11:17:43 am »
Depending on where your route goes, when in September it is, and where I am, I may be able to provide midnight supplies again on a Norfolk route.
Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #13 on: 22 July, 2008, 12:02:47 pm »
 :-[

Must learn to read!

Teethgrinder suggests 27/28 September.
Abnormal for Norfolk

« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2008, 12:16:10 pm »
I'm keen. 

Haven't voted as not sure which route would be best for me.  Most of my rides have been at the non-scenic end of the audax range (Fairies Flattest 300, Asparagus and Strawb's 400, and 4 200's without any AAAs).

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2008, 12:46:54 pm »

Norfolk 600: A more meandering route, so if it is windy, we won't have 250km of constant headwind at a time. I think it more scenic (but I've ridden the Middle Road sooo many times now) The terrain is probably much easier.
Will we see the sea? I like a 600 to 'go' somewhere, so the sea, or other scenic attractions, would be a bonus.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:03:52 pm »
I'm in, but haven't voted. Forgive me for sitting on the fence here, but I really don't mind which route is chosen.

Maladict

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2008, 01:04:39 pm »
I'm not in if it's on that date.

Helping with the Cambridge 100k.

« Reply #18 on: 22 July, 2008, 08:51:07 pm »
Right!
Liz, don't be silly, you're coming with Charlotte and I in October. (Sort her out Charlotte!)
Maybe we could do it on your new tandem if you're not in the mood for pedalling. I should manage to fit on the front OK ;D

Nutkin,
Thanks. :-* :-* :-* I was thinking of reversing the route I did last time, thinking that Needham Market came at 400km, but it comes at around 450km, so I might stay with the original route, which is:-
Milton Keynes
Saffron Walden
Needham Market
Swaffham
Cromer
Hunstanton
Kings Lynn Travel Inn at around 400km
Spalding
Downham Market
Ely
Gamlingay
Milton Keynes

mattc,
You'll sort of see the sea. It'll be night time when we get there. You should get some sense of going somewhere. The scenery does change, but the Middle Road will be just as good for a sense of going somewhere.

Maladict,
looks like there's another 600 in October so you can always do that one instead. Or we can do a 600 earlier in September as a recce for this one. I can try and trim the distance down.

leeg,
gwan, gwan, It'll be a good laugh.
I think :-\

Maladict

« Reply #19 on: 22 July, 2008, 09:57:06 pm »
September may be a bit of a Month of Panic for me so I will only know what I can do closer to the time.  Sorry.

« Reply #20 on: 22 July, 2008, 10:25:42 pm »
I'm on for one of these. I fancy the Middle Road.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #21 on: 23 July, 2008, 11:20:32 am »

I'd like to do this, and don't really mind which one. I need to check that no-one is expecting me to go with them to the Brompton World Championships though...

« Reply #22 on: 23 July, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
Just added another option on the votes.
Middle Road seems to make the most sense to me, especially if we have a pretty wide variation in the speed of riders.

I will do a 600 on another day as well if anyone is up for it.
So far, we have one at the end of September.
Charlotte and Liz are also thinking of an October 600 (2nd weekend would be good for me) That will most likely be the Norfolk route. (better for fixed wheel)
Maladict is also after a 600, which we could do early to mid September.

« Reply #23 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:32:59 pm »
An October one sounds good to me too. Doing 2 600's would save me from having to do a 400.  :-)
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Maladict

« Reply #24 on: 23 July, 2008, 10:43:02 pm »
That's my reasoning too.

Though I've already done one 400 this season.