Poll

If you are thinking of coming on this ride on 27/28 September, would you prefer to do the Middle Road, or my Norfolk route? (Read below before voting)

Middle Road 600
5 (55.6%)
Norfolk DIY 600
3 (33.3%)
I don't care
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Teethgrinders' September (600) special  (Read 24039 times)

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
Re: Teethgrinders' September (600) special
« Reply #150 on: 30 September, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »
I think you all give me too much credit.
Planning this ride was very easy for me. I know the route, all I have to do is send my entry off and that's about it really. It's not a chore, it's what I like doing.

This may be true, but if it was someone else who had the idea would they get as many people thinking about the ride.
What with your experience of these rides and the enthusiasm you have about getting people to try longer ones, knowing they will be helped along and not be left behind, which they might be on a calendar ride.
Reading the ride reports from last years and this years ride probably helped and will help people make up their mind to try it and others.

Rich.

« Reply #151 on: 30 September, 2008, 11:30:43 pm »
Can't say I always get that much from ride reports, but for whatever reason, I enjoyed reading these.

Well done to all and especially first timers.  :thumbsup:
[Having only ever done one 600, I guess I too am still a first timer!]

And as for Teethgrinder's 'one a month for 23 months', well.....the mind boggles. From where I sit....it's 'ardcore alright.

Garry Broad

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #152 on: 01 October, 2008, 07:09:48 am »
Well done chaps and especially those of you that have cracked their first 600.

H

frere yacker

« Reply #153 on: 01 October, 2008, 01:34:09 pm »
Good show, and some awesome reports  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #154 on: 06 October, 2008, 07:10:12 pm »
The ride up to the turning point at Howden was mainly on narrow lanes, nearly all flat and very pleasant, but it seemed to just go on forever. I kept trying to do some mental maths as to how far it was, but couldn't seem to get a sensible answer, so I just kept pedalling. We passed Thorne Rugby Club which is used as a control on LEL, then through Thorne and onto Howden where we stopped at the CO-OP to get a receipt.
Did you use this endless flat'n'straight bit (which is on the LEL route)?
Google Maps

I rode this in both directions 5 days after you lot, and you'll be pleased to hear the wind was merciless (luckily never a proper headwind). The N-S bit is a ruler straight 6.5 miles - is there a longer stretch of straight road in the UK?

The flat bits definitely go on forever. I rode the LEL route from Misterton to York*, slept, turned round. 110 miles of complete flatland. I don't know if there are any contour lines between Misterton and the Lincon hill.

*i.e. I turned off it just outside York.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles