Author Topic: Presta connector for a compressor  (Read 1414 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Presta connector for a compressor
« on: 11 October, 2019, 09:11:10 pm »
Being a bit of a "gadget man" I've bought a battery powered tyre inflator (essentially a hand-held piston compressor about the size of an electric drill) that pumps up to 150psi so ample for bikes (it has a selectable pressure setting)

It comes with a short hose with a Schraeder head (car valve type) + a small brass ferrule that you add to convert to Presta - that works fine BUT is a bit of a pain to have to thread the ferrule onto the Presta valve.

What I'm looking for is an adaptor that simply pushes onto the Presta valve, hold it there and squirt the air in (a bit like the Park Tool workshop inflator that connects to a compressor)

The nearest thing I can find is the Topeak Pressure Rite Presta convertor - but even that appears to need to be screwed to the valve.

So - any ideas suggestions please?

Rob 

Re: Presta connector for a compressor
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:39:06 pm »
I cut the schrader connector off the hose on my compressor inflator and fitted one of these track pump replacement heads which works great with schrader and presta valves https://ebay.us/BIvnXs
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

robgul

« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:45:48 pm »
I cut the schrader connector off the hose on my compressor inflator and fitted one of these track pump replacement heads which works great with schrader and presta valves https://ebay.us/BIvnXs

That's a solution down the track if it comes to it - the hose on the pump is only about 5 or 6 inches long so I really want to retain the full length.   [I have a Decathlon track pump dual-head on the mains compressor that I have and that works a treat - but the hose is 10 feet long!!]

Rob

« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:56:27 pm »
If it's the same one as I have you can screw the whole unit onto the valve (spoke layout permitting). It doesn't make a perfect seal (manual pressing required) but then neither does the proper hose.

« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2019, 11:14:30 pm »
I have made a converter using a track pump chuck, a short length of hose, and the middle of a Schrader valve stem taken from a tubeless car tyre valve.   The last of these is (once the rubber is removed) pretty much ideal for attaching to a length of hose, using a suitable clip.  You can attach the compressor fitting to the converter and then use the chuck on presta in the normal way.

FWIW most of these tiny compressors are utter shite inside, and clap out very quickly indeed.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2019, 02:27:47 am »
If it has the standard compressed air connection, Prestaflator.

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:04:53 am »
If it has the standard compressed air connection, Prestaflator.

I did see that, but the connector is different.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2019, 07:15:09 am »
I have made a converter using a track pump chuck, a short length of hose, and the middle of a Schrader valve stem taken from a tubeless car tyre valve.   The last of these is (once the rubber is removed) pretty much ideal for attaching to a length of hose, using a suitable clip.  You can attach the compressor fitting to the converter and then use the chuck on presta in the normal way.

FWIW most of these tiny compressors are utter shite inside, and clap out very quickly indeed.

cheers

Solution at the moment seems to be to connect the Schraeder/Presta converter ferrule to the original hose and then the Topeak connector to the that - the bit that goes on the valve is a push fit with a small turn of a "locking collar)  (rather than the little brass converter ferrules that have to be screwed onto the valve with several turns)

The plan is to use the machine for quick pre-ride tyre top-ups/tyre checks rather than inflating from zero.

This is the gadget :  https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L7X74VD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Initial trials (using the supplied converter) are positive - it got my SKS "air tank" up to about 140psi pretty quickly.

[There's a recent GCN Tech video where one of the pro-teams has a set of these gadgets, one for each rider, each with the preferred pressure pre-set.]

Rob

PS: I'm still struggling to get my Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres to pop onto the beads of the Fulcrum 700 wheels - but that's another story :-(

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2019, 02:01:54 pm »
Had a bosch version of those and it didn't last a year even with two 1.2ah nicd batteries.

Not great for motorbike and car tyres.

robgul

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2019, 08:21:21 pm »
Had a bosch version of those and it didn't last a year even with two 1.2ah nicd batteries.

Not great for motorbike and car tyres.

Agreed it does seem optimistic to use for anything bigger than a bicycle tyre - and my top-up only plan should keep usuage minimal.    Hey, it's from Amazon, they're good at refunds if it's crap.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:31:26 pm »
The Topeak adaptor arrived today - connected to the Schraeder/Presta ferrul on the pump and it works a treat - push on and half a turn of the locking ring and away it goes - I might get another Topeak gadget for my mains compressor.

Rob