Author Topic: Marmotte Training not going great  (Read 2636 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Marmotte Training not going great
« on: 29 May, 2008, 12:01:51 pm »
I've got until the 5th of July to finish training up for the Marmotte and I'm nowhere near ready enough yet.

I had thought that I had been training well but my recent performance in the Etape Caledonia (4hrs 42 mins) shows that I'm slower not faster than I was last year - I had a puncture which slowed me down more, but without it I would have still been nearly ten minutes slower than previously.  I had had ambitions of a sub four hour time.  Following that I had manflu and my mileage has really plummeted for this month, I don't think I'll even make my minimum 600 miles.

On the plus side, the EC was a bit later in the year last year and my training was practically at its peak then (if anything I peaked before the actual Etape du Tour, which was my focus for the year).

On the negative side I'm a bit heavier than last year (about seven kilos).  I think with better training and a bit of grit I can shift about five of that by early July but any more weight loss than that and I'll compromise my remaining training efforts.

I've got the Chiltern Hundred this weekend and the Dragon Rode a fortnight after - if I can get round that in somewhere around eight hours (or at least under nine) then I think I'll be back on track.  Lots to do over the next month or so though.

I think *gulp* that I mght have to suspend beer drinking for the next five weeks.

I'm going to go out and do regular saturday sessions trying to meep up with the fastish boys & girls lapping Richmond Park.  I'm going to also do climbing training on my turbo and keep up my mileage (my commute is approx 24 miles per day).

Any suggestions or criticisms?

Re: Marmotte Training not going great
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:08:35 pm »
When I did the Marmotte in 2005 my training consisted of 6 weeks of the following:

- Long rides every weekend (over 100 miles) at a steady pace
- 3 x interval sessions in Richmond Park every week (2 hard laps with five minute recovery in between)

I didn't finish in a great time (can't remember now), but I finished!  :thumbsup:

Good luck, it's a wonderful ride.

gonzo

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:56:04 am »
Long rides are essential. I'm probably going to do a 12 hour in 2 months after having only had 3 weeks on the bike so far this year. The main part of my training is 2x rides of increasing distance over the weekends.

Stay hydrated, stay fed and don't sprint for lights or that sort of thing.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:54:52 am »
I've got until the 5th of July to finish training up for the Marmotte and I'm nowhere near ready enough yet.
I'm a bit heavier than last year (about seven kilos).  I think with better training and a bit of grit I can shift about five of that by early July but any more weight loss than that and I'll compromise my remaining training efforts.

That's why you aren't going so well at the moment.  Sorry you do need to cut out the beer, no dessert, go to bed hungry, drink more water etc etc.  Loosing 5Kg seems quite ambitious but if you think you can do it...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:05:35 pm »
Well I got round the Dragon Ride in 7hrs 17 minutes, without pushing ridiculously hard - think I'm happy with that.

I know I'll have a tough day on the Marmotte but I should be ok.

I fly out on the 30th - any advice on what I should be doing between then and the Saturday.

I have a vague plan of riding at least part way up the Alpe on the Tuesday, then just riding at a reasonable pace for an hour a day on the remaining three days.  Is this a good idea?

rae

« Reply #5 on: 23 June, 2008, 12:18:21 pm »
I have a vague plan of riding at least part way up the Alpe on the Tuesday, then just riding at a reasonable pace for an hour a day on the remaining three days. 

Ride the top half.   As you grind up the mountain on the day, you will reach the point where you started...and think "I can do this".   We did this on Bales for the Etape - we started at the cattle grid and went to the top.  The psychological boost is immense.