Author Topic: Post audax hero legs  (Read 2486 times)

Post audax hero legs
« on: 03 November, 2010, 12:28:35 pm »
Last two times I've done an audax, the following week has seen a big lift in speed (about 3kph average over the week), with 3 days later as a peak. I set my commute PB on the wednesday after my only 300, and after this weekend's 200, today I went the fastest I've been since then.

My sense is that when I ride with "proper cyclists" they do silly things like ride in the big ring, and stand up when going up hills. I have to go into my reserves just to stay on their back wheel, so it briefly teaches me to ignore my body shouting "stop it you are hurting me".

Is it a common thing? Does anyone else feel stronger after a 200 or 300? Any idea on the mechanism and how I can keep it going?

Re: Post audax hero legs
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
Any idea on the mechanism and how I can keep it going?

Freewheel less.
Press down on the pedals harder.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2010, 03:57:49 pm »
Ride with others more. However fast you are on your own you will always go that little bit faster in a group.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2010, 04:03:39 pm »
Some kind of targeted effort, time-trialling is a good one, because you have an incentive to use the improved fitness and you can quantify it. I've generally found that the best gains come about 10 days after the big efforts, but that it is important to train in that period to cement the improvement in the legs.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2010, 04:53:36 pm »

Freewheel less.
Good tips.

Also: be lighter when riding (it's not important when sitting or walking, so don't bother then).

And brake later.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2010, 10:54:18 am »

Freewheel less.

<translation>Ride fixed</translation>

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher