Author Topic: Shimano triple front mech set up  (Read 6382 times)

Shimano triple front mech set up
« on: 06 March, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »
Been following the Shimano tech sheet but something's just not going right. Can't seem to prevent chain rub on middle ring and lower sprockets of an 8 speed cassette.

Any tips?

Martin

Re: Shimano triple front mech set up
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:11:08 pm »
Shimano triple shifters have 4 positions; you should use the middle 2 for the middle and small rings. Other than that ans ensuring you start with the chain in gear 8 and ensure it shfts correctly down, can't help much; a lot is trial and error.

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »
I sometimes find that Shimano derailleur set-up instructions don't give the best possible final result.

I prefer the method on the Park Tool site:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:53:13 pm »
I must admit I haven't had a prolonged session on it yet but it does sound like it's a case of fiddling around.

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:57:57 pm »
Start from scratch, undo the cable and set the derailleur height and and angle, and then go through it methodically as per the Park guide and only go to the next step when the you are sure the preceding one is correct. Assuming all the parts are designed to work with each other that produces a good result without the need for further fiddling.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2011, 12:05:19 am »
I'm suspicious that indexed front mech setup is voodoo, and much mucking about with height is needed to get it to work properly.  Do make sure that everything's spot on at the rear first though.

I have to admit that I gave up on one bike and compromised by making the chain rub occur in the high gears that I hardly use.

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2011, 12:14:40 am »
Could be a number of things, if your gear cables are old try re-greasing the inner-outer cables. Sometimes the outer cables become worn out and you can get round this by twisting them round or just completly replace your gear cables with new ones.