Author Topic: Get me going!  (Read 14779 times)

rae

Re: Get me going!
« Reply #50 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:41:28 pm »
I'm doing Regent's.  Richmond is an unpleasant schlepp across town during evening rush hour.

« Reply #51 on: 29 June, 2008, 11:45:37 pm »
Hi Rae

Monday is out, as above, but Thursday is more likely to be possible at let's say 6 or whatever suits you. Do you go straight from work?

Jakob

« Reply #53 on: 30 June, 2008, 05:16:06 pm »
I'll try and make tomorrow night, calendar is clear right now.   Could do Wed/Thur as well.   I'll post at about 16:00 with confirmation...

Bah, work just threw a curveball and I'll have to work late. (again)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #54 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:08:53 am »
Well, I've joined the leisure centre and been for a swim.  The end of this week is going to be a bit of a sod just in terms of fitting exercise round the demands of REAL LIFE but I'm booking myself in for yoga and spinning next week.

I took some of the advice on here and raced another commuter yesterday morning :D

Got to court significantly earlier than I usually would (and also paid less attention to the traffic than I usually would, but with no problems), and feeling like I'd had a workout rather than a commute.  And I won.  Which is important.

And we went out to the Tuesday night club run yesterday on the tandem and kept up a really decent speed.  I'm aiming to be able to do that on a solo by the end of the year. 

And I think I've agreed to do TRAT next year.  *gulp*

« Reply #55 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:12:38 am »
I'm still up for Regent's Park tomorrow evening (Thursday) if anyone is doing it.

rae

« Reply #56 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:31:11 am »
I've had a rather odd week, but tomorrow evening (Thursday) looks like a goer for me

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #57 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:51:31 am »

Quoted to prevent plausible deniability  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #58 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:53:37 am »
*note to self:  don't commit to anything with Charlotte around.
Getting there...

RogerT

• Playing with a big steamy thing
« Reply #59 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:57:10 am »

A brave woman indeed , just to volunteer is above and beyond, IMHO.

« Reply #60 on: 02 July, 2008, 11:58:50 am »
I've had a rather odd week, but tomorrow evening (Thursday) looks like a goer for me

OK, let me know when you are sure. I should be able to get there for 6 - 6.30, or later if it suits.

« Reply #61 on: 02 July, 2008, 12:02:42 pm »

You TRAT  ::-)

« Reply #62 on: 02 July, 2008, 07:59:50 pm »
Slight change - I can't be there at that time but can do later - e.g 7.15 or 7.30.

rae

« Reply #63 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:21:49 pm »
I'm still on - I'll hopefully get there at about 6:30, so I'll get in a few early laps.   

Big bloke, red top, black shorts, Litespeed, deep section Mavic wheels.  I'll pm you my mobile number....

« Reply #64 on: 03 July, 2008, 02:44:45 pm »
Hi Rae
Need to be in Mornington Crescent until 7.15 or so, but should be coming back past Regents Park by 7.30 or so, will text you (when your pm comes through) one way the other later.

Van Nicholas audax bike, will unfortunately have rucksac, blue and white Ground Effect top.

rae

« Reply #65 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:24:41 pm »
I'm bailing on the basis that it is pissing with rain at the moment and I appear to have significant gutrot. 

If I can avoid the pub tomorrow evening, then I might be out then....

« Reply #66 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:32:44 pm »
I'm bailing on the basis that it is pissing with rain at the moment and I appear to have significant gutrot

Spooky, I just looked at the Wimbledon Live Text thing on the BBC Sport Website to see:-

"
1659: Good Lord - it's belting it down. News from the chaps with pine-cones and binoculars trained on lying-down cows is that this nastiness could be overhead for at least 20 minutes. Gut-rot.
"
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

rae

« Reply #67 on: 03 July, 2008, 05:37:17 pm »
No, I'm not watching Wimbledon!

« Reply #68 on: 06 July, 2008, 07:43:19 pm »
Training!
A bit late now to train for the Mersey, but it won't do you any harm, as long as you don't overdo it and are well recovered before the big day.
Maybe you and Charlotte could set up some turbos in your new garage?
That seems like the best option given that you are surrounded by traffic lights.
You can then start doing all the different trainig excercises which have been mentined as well as pyramids and a few good steady efforts.
You really need to try and make it as enjoyable as you can. I wouldn't bother doing long low intensity turbo sessions because you'll most likely get bored rigid. Roads are much better for long rides and getting the miles in. I'd only do turbo training for the high intensity stuff. You probably aren't able to ride flat out for very long as it is, so at the moment you'd be spending well under an hour if you're trying hard enough. An hour is plenty if you put the effort in. If you get really keen, then an hour twice a day, but that would be some time away for you.
I wouldn't turbo in the home unless you are pretty sound proof. It's not just the noise of the turbo, but also the heavy brerathing. Put some mats or plastic on the floor if you do some turbo training in your home. You'll get very sweaty. Worth protecting your bike from sweat too.
The most important thing is to enjoy it or you won't keep at it. Make it part of your routine and don't miss a session without good reason. Even if you don't feel like it, you'll most likely be OK after a warm up.
Apart from that. You can find out different training methods if you look. Variation is good. It makes it more interesting and keeps your mind fresh. Try out new things and experiment.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #69 on: 06 July, 2008, 08:01:16 pm »
It's far too late to train for the Mersey ;D

As far as the Mersey goes, I know I can do 24 hours on the bike comfortably.  We're both planning to ride that audax-style, steady rather than brains-out fast like a shorter time trial. 

This is really training for next year.  Having been wildly jealous of / impressed by Charlotte & Erica doing TRAT I'm going to give it a go next year.  :)

But the new training regime won't do the Mersey preparation any harm...

... and turbos in the new garage is a brilliant idea.  :D