Author Topic: Hugh Porter  (Read 12990 times)

Hugh Porter
« on: 03 August, 2012, 02:37:19 am »
I think he's getting a bit Duffield  :'( He seemed to let himself down in the Road Race and TT commentary, which might seem fair enough with the lack of info coming over race radio, but he was mis-calling riders who I could clearly make out, and few of these were central European domestiques who get mentiones twice a season. He also seems a bit off-form on the velodrome too, calling the Men's Team Sprint the Team Pursuit at least a couple of times.

I really hope not, but did anyone else notice it or am I being a bit over critical? It's a shame they didn't hire Phil Liggett for the road stuff.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
Re: Hugh Porter
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2012, 06:56:30 am »
He was completely hopeless at the road events but much much better at the track.
Aero but not dynamic

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:46:30 am »
I think he's getting a bit Duffield  :'( He seemed to let himself down in the Road Race and TT commentary, which might seem fair enough with the lack of info coming over race radio, but he was mis-calling riders who I could clearly make out, and few of these were central European domestiques who get mentiones twice a season. He also seems a bit off-form on the velodrome too, calling the Men's Team Sprint the Team Pursuit at least a couple of times.

I really hope not, but did anyone else notice it or am I being a bit over critical? It's a shame they didn't hire Phil Liggett for the road stuff.

Have to say that may be a tad harsh ... the road and time-trial info he was getting was simply not up to scratch so it's unfair to criticise too much.  I agree Phil would have been better ... but I assume he was doing it for ESPN or whoever in the US.

I know Hugh, having met him a few times, and he does get very excited with his track commentary!  When you consider the speeds that the riders are going at it must be pretty difficult to keep the words flowing fast enough - at least he's looking out of the window at the actual race, rather than relying on dud video feeds.

Rob

(He's a smashing bloke ... and his wife, Olympic swimmer Anita Lonsborough, is charming too)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:00:58 am »
Worst. Commentator. Ever.

I've met him twice and he was a complete diva/twat on both occasions. I've also heard him bullying colleagues on the Tour of Britain.  And he's got a Brummie accent FFS.  ;D

Phil Liggett is a nice bloke (a bit too close to Armstrong for my liking) but he should hang up the mic too. Too many mistakes these days in his live commentary.

Harmon is the man. Knowledgable without trying to outdo his colour commentator and excellent at rider identification, and only gets excitable at the appropriate moments. His live commentary at the Giro on the day Wouter Weylandts died was perfectly judged. I shudder to think how Porter would have handled that one.
a great mind thinks alike

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:55:40 am »
They should hire my missus to commentate.   She usually preempts Harmon/Kellys comments.  I'm sure cycling fans the world over have a similar experience.  I agree Porter is especially awful though

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »

I've met him twice and he was a complete diva/twat on both occasions. I've also heard him bullying colleagues on the Tour of Britain. 

At the British Champs at Abergavenny a few years ago there was some confusion with the final placings (Lizzie Armitstead was initially awarded the silver medal, but by coming 2nd overall she'd won the U-23 gold... BC overruled the commissaire etc.) There were some mutterings in the crowd expressing mild dissatisfaction at this and Hugh Porter lost his temper and practically insulted the audience. Yes there was confusion, information was given out which was eventually changed, but he handled it very badly. Not cool.

What annoys me is his persistent mispronunciation - "Christan" Armstrong instead of Kristin and last night we had  riders from "Venenzuela". At least there's no "dee-scents" on the track for Chris Boardman to mention.  Having done a bit of research though, it appears that Hugh's pronunciation of Gregory Baugé is correct and David Harmon of Eurosport is wrong with "Bauge".

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
What about Gao Shuang vs Shuang Gao? :-\

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »
They should hire my missus to commentate.   She usually preempts Harmon/Kellys comments.  I'm sure cycling fans the world over have a similar experience.  I agree Porter is especially awful though

My wife does this too, and also with rugby. We are convinced that there is a microphone hidden in our sofa.

Sadly, Hugh Porter does seem to have been particularly old buffer-ish in the last week.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2012, 08:24:13 pm »
I swear I heard Porter say "Meares is in the lead" near the end of this evening's Keirin final (when she was in fifth).

Is he the kind of bloke that would be hard to get rid of?  Too much influence within the Beeb?  He'd make too much fuss if retirement was suggested, etc?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:12:21 pm »
And he's got a Brummie accent FFS.  ;D

Hopefully tongue in cheek, otherwise the comment is beyond comprehension.

After the men’s RR the BBC team left the media area and watched a big screen just like we do and relied on mobile phone updates because the facilities in the media area were so rubbish.  Much better commentary in women’s RR because they had much better opportunity for information. Great coverage of TT.  Suggests to me the facilities had an impact on output that we heard.  Also, OBS were told to get better picture feed and timing information.

Porter is a track man and surprise he gets excited which to the average public will only add to the excitement of the experience.  His knowledge of the track is excellent. Other commentators who have been actively involved in the sport they are covering also get excited. What's the problem with this?  Don't like it, then use the mute/volume controls.

Regards pronunciation of names, we have already had a post where he gets one over on Harmon on names, and loses on others.  Anyone in the UK like to give the correct pronunciation of grass or bath?

I think the cycling has been a superb spectacle and the average public will be really enjoying it.  Comments that we see on this Forum are (to me) saddening and if that's all we've got to do then perhaps we need to look at our own life and say "what have we achieved" and if we could do the job better, as we can clearly see what's going on, then why aren't we?

Sigh

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:19:46 pm »

And in any case, that's a Wolverhampton accent not Brummie !
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:27:06 pm »

And in any case, that's a Wolverhampton accent not Brummie !

Absolutely, but I did not want to highlight the ignorance of JT as his comment may have been tongue in cheek.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #12 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »
It's down to expectations.

When there is no coverage people are ecstatic to have Dave Lee Travis commentating on track cycling.
When there is Dave Lee Travis commentating on track cycling people want Eddie Waring to do it.
When there is Eddie Waring commentating on track cycling people want someone who knows a bit about it to do it.
When there is someone who knows a bit about it commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it.
When there is someone better commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it.
When there is someone better commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #13 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:29:19 pm »
It's down to expectations.

When there is no coverage people are ecstatic to have Dave Lee Travis commentating on track cycling.
When there is Dave Lee Travis commentating on track cycling people want Eddie Waring to do it.
When there is Eddie Waring commentating on track cycling people want someone who knows a bit about it to do it.
When there is someone who knows a bit about it commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it.
When there is someone better commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it.
When there is someone better commentating on track cycling people want someone better to do it...

So it is impossible to please.

But I suppose moaning about what we have makes people somehow feel better.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #14 on: 04 August, 2012, 10:40:22 am »
So Hugh Porter is the best track cycling commentator and he's not getting a bit senile?

(I'm just asking!)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #15 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
So Hugh Porter is the best track cycling commentator and he's not getting a bit senile?

(I'm just asking!)

Isn't everyone becoming a bit senile with every day that passes?

I believe he has a very good knowledge of track cycling and overall his commentary has been sound.

« Reply #16 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:48:26 pm »

I've met him twice and he was a complete diva/twat on both occasions. I've also heard him bullying colleagues on the Tour of Britain.  And he's got a Brummie accent FFS.  ;D

He's from Wolverhampton - it's not a Brummy accent!!

« Reply #17 on: 04 August, 2012, 08:07:58 pm »

Think this was covered yesterday on previous page of postings.

« Reply #18 on: 04 August, 2012, 09:12:58 pm »
I stand admonished.

« Reply #19 on: 04 August, 2012, 10:40:20 pm »
I stand admonished.

Wish I could stand, drained with all the emotion of 'Super Saturday'.  What a day!

I also think Porter did a good job today as well.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #20 on: 04 August, 2012, 11:04:31 pm »
If you're from another part of the country, and also not an excruciatingly boring pedant, then Porter has a Brummie accent. Just as all people south of Cambridge sound like cockneys. And just like the rest of the country cannot tell the difference between Geordies and Mackems.  ;)

Wherever he's from he sounds terrible, in addition to being shit.
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #21 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:55:06 pm »
If you're from another part of the country, and also not an excruciatingly boring pedant, then Porter has a Brummie accent. Just as all people south of Cambridge sound like cockneys. And just like the rest of the country cannot tell the difference between Geordies and Mackems.  ;)

Judging by many posts on the YACF Forum, being an excruciatingly boring pedant would appear to be the primary requirement. I assume you don't consider yourself to be one.

Also appears that having an axe to grind helps.

Sounds terrible because of where he's from?  Or just a grudge against someone?

I believe feedback from the track on commentating has been positive from members of the general public.

How about a solution; turn the volume down and listen to Radio 5 Live or some other audio feed.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #22 on: 05 August, 2012, 12:58:15 pm »
If you're from another part of the country, and also not an excruciatingly boring pedant, then Porter has a Brummie accent.

Pedantry has nothing to do with it.  He's very proud to come from Wolverhampton just as I'm very proud to come from Birmingham.
Aero but not dynamic

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2012, 01:01:19 pm »

Judging by many posts on the YACF Forum, being an excruciatingly boring pedant would appear to be the primary requirement.

Think this was covered yesterday on previous page of postings.

QED?   :D

« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2012, 01:09:14 pm »
Never said I did not indulge in pedant postings (just to ensure we get the facts correct as opposed to the normal mob rule mentality).

Also, that post was for information purposes just in case the previous post covering the topic had not been see as it was on the previous page.  Thought it was helpful and not disparaging.