Author Topic: Post your gold post boxes  (Read 8049 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Post your gold post boxes
« Reply #25 on: 08 August, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »
So...what did the graffiti on Jessica Ennis' postbox say?  RM won't tell.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 08 August, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »
I've seen "Go Jess" mentioned, but don't have a reference...

ETA: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-19177730

A postbox that was painted gold in Jessica Ennis's home city of Sheffield, to celebrate her Olympic triumph, has been vandalised.

The graffiti, which read "Go Jess", was scrawled on the postbox in Barkers Pool in the city centre.

A new layer of gold has been applied by Royal Mail, a Sheffield City Council spokeswoman said.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #27 on: 08 August, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »
Give 'em time...

I'm meeting Mark Hammond from the EHRC next week.  I shall raise it with him.

I will be genuinely interesting to hear what Mark thinks.  I was astounded when I read it because it seemed SO blatant.  Royal Mail surely has obligations under several sections of the Equality Act to ensure that it does not indirectly discriminate against disabled people.

Different but equal strikes again

(And a not very well known thing is that it is legal to favour disabled people over non disabled people under Equality Act and old DDA - and not legal to do the other way round!)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #28 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:31:49 pm »

This is the second of the Sir Chris Hoy postboxes. I haven't been past the first one yet. There was a juggler behind this one who seemed to be a bit miffed and a bit perplexed as to why people were photographing the postbox instead of him. I heard him ask why people kept taking photos of it.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #29 on: 08 August, 2012, 09:40:30 pm »
This is the second of the Sir Chris Hoy postboxes. I haven't been past the first one yet. There was a juggler behind this one who seemed to be a bit miffed and a bit perplexed as to why people were photographing the postbox instead of him. I heard him ask why people kept taking photos of it.

I see they picked a postbox to match his thighs.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #30 on: 09 August, 2012, 11:31:02 am »
Anyone told people in Dunblane that it's not real gold?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19179625
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #31 on: 09 August, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
Anyone told people in Dunblane that it's not real gold?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-19179625

It wasn't fans...

It was the Scottish brigade of the elite 'KOBRA'* organisation, reacting against the desecration of the post box.

*(Keep Our Boxes Red, Alright!)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #32 on: 09 August, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »
The Royal Mail if honest would say "we're not doing so many stamps for the Paralympics simply because it's not as popular as the main Olympics".
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #33 on: 09 August, 2012, 01:32:58 pm »
The Royal Mail if honest would say "we're not doing so many stamps for the Paralympics simply because it's not as popular as the main Olympics".
I'd have thought the issue was of admin & logistics. In 2008 there were twice as many British Golds in the Paralympics as in the Olympics. Dealing with twenty odd stamps in one issue iis one thing, dealing with sixty quite another. As mentioned upthread, this does that this does have all the hallmarks of an ill thought out PR stunt. ISTM they should have sucked up the pain and got on with it; even if there was limited demand for some stamps they would all be  sold in the end, and the additional production costs per extra stamp would be minimal. My sympathy lies with stamp collectors who feel obliged to buy complete sets.