Poll

Should 'After the event' winners be invited to a ceremony at the next Games?

Yes, it is only fair that they have their moment of glory
No, get over it and move on

Author Topic: 'After the event' medal winners ceremonies poll  (Read 2041 times)

fuzzy

'After the event' medal winners ceremonies poll
« on: 13 August, 2012, 03:13:16 pm »
After this news and my understanding that at least one medal winner from bejing was stripped of their medal and the medal awarded to tne next athlete at a ceremony somewhere a little while ago, should the IOC consider having "Catch Up" medal ceremonies at the next Olympiad to allow the athlete who didn't cheat their monet of glory in front of an Olympic crowd?

It seems a crying shame that New Zealands Valerie Adams misses the magic moment of Gold and that the new Bronze medalist misses the podium experience altogether.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: 'After the event' medal winners ceremonies poll
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:19:47 pm »
Ancient history in sporting terms and nothing can compensate for standing on the podium the day you race.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:24:07 pm »
Yebbut, a catch-up ceremony four or more years down the line, is no substitute for being on the podium on the day of the event itself. Michael Rogers, who gets the Bronze if Ekimov and Julich are upgraded after Hamilton returned his gold medal had this to say:

"To tell you the truth, I wasn't really holding my breath [about receiving the medal]," he said in an Australian Olympic Committee press release.

"One part of me is happy to finally receive the medal, on the other side it [the medal] doesn't mean a lot," the three times world time trial champion said.

"I think I missed the opportunity of that actual moment of the podium on the day.

"There aren't too many athletes who get to go on the podium and to experience the life long memories of that.

"I remember that day. My mum (Sonja) and dad (Ian) and wife (Alessia) travelled all that way to be there in Athens.

"Unfortunately, I can't get that back, so the medal is more kind of a substitute."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rogers-in-two-minds-over-2004-bronze-medal
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 13 August, 2012, 03:48:36 pm »
There were two unpopular winners; the Algerian who managed to get a sicknote for disrespecting the 800m and then stormed the 1500m, and the formerly chemically-enhanced Turk who won the women's 1500m.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets dethroned.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 13 August, 2012, 04:40:39 pm »
and the formerly chemically-enhanced Turk who won the women's 1500m.

Any idea why they're picking on her and not any of the other former drug users?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 13 August, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »
Pick the 'unknown ones from countries that don't speak English' and few people care. Ping a big name (e.g. Ben Johnson) and it makes the sport look bad.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 13 August, 2012, 04:49:25 pm »
and the formerly chemically-enhanced Turk who won the women's 1500m.

Any idea why they're picking on her and not any of the other former drug users?
Not sure, but she even got booed before the race.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 13 August, 2012, 06:40:46 pm »
I can't see the harm. Offer it to each athlete - if they see it as pointless, don't force them!

:thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #8 on: 13 August, 2012, 07:19:39 pm »
There were two unpopular winners; the Algerian who managed to get a sicknote for disrespecting the 800m and then stormed the 1500m, and the formerly chemically-enhanced Turk who won the women's 1500m.

Wouldn't be surprised if one of them gets dethroned.
And a formerly chemically enhanced and utterly unrepentank Kasak, who I would be glad to see dethroned. And defesitrated.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

« Reply #9 on: 13 August, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »
They are keeping the blood for 8 years, to retest as new tests come on line. So the final medal table won't be settled until 2020.