Author Topic: The Knutsford Great Race. (Ordinaries)  (Read 27347 times)

Re: The Knutsford Great Race. (Ordinaries)
« Reply #150 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:23:54 am »
Can I ask of the afficionados - what determines the crank length on an ordinary?  The cranks look very short, and one imagines longer ones might help.  I appreciate that knee space is at a premium, but it looks as though Charlotte might have about 4 or 5" clearance above her knee to the handlebar.

« Reply #151 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:45:39 am »
he cranks look very short, and one imagines longer ones might help. 
erm, dunno why you think longer would help.

An Ordinary's gear is very low - so you have to be able to spin - shorter cranks make spinning easier, just like on a fixed Safety cycle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #152 on: 08 September, 2010, 10:46:16 am »
Also, long cranks would reduce the size of wheel you could manage.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #153 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:48:53 am »
2 broken arms, according to LFGSS...

Holy crap.  Has that been confirmed anywhere? That's pretty horrible. :(
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Hilldodger

« Reply #154 on: 08 September, 2010, 02:26:26 pm »
Pretty standard for a header off a speeding Penny I'm afraid.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #155 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:20:01 pm »
I have blogged.  There will be some pictures up in the gallery as soon as I can get round to it...

Bicycleslut: The Knutsford Great Race 2010
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #156 on: 08 September, 2010, 04:40:04 pm »
:thumbsup:

but your minions don't get a mention... :(
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #157 on: 08 September, 2010, 11:42:47 pm »
I've been dissecting the race to pin down its winningness.

First and foremost, obviously, is two strong riders with fixie traffic skills.   :thumbsup:

Next is two bikes.  This meant that when mechanical problems occurred (a drop on Kat's and five spokes on Charlotte's) they were fixed during that bike's downtime. 

Then it's light, nippy bikes that were (by happy coincidence) suited to the course.

Then it's the ninja pit crew:smug:  I'm not just blowing my trumpet there, as Phil's errand-running for water and magic juice and such outside the pit lane was just as important.  We make enthusiastic Igors.

And of course there's good luck: nobody crashed out directly in front of them, and nobody got body-czeched into a barrier.  You make a lot of your own luck but the fuckup fairy was definitely visiting someone else that day.

I haven't yet sussed the relative importance of the race strategy.  The other teams were riding longer and a bit more measured - I think I heard half-hour spells - with less elegant changes.  Both riders recovered well, with their final set splits barely different from their initial sets, though each definitely needed resting (Kat was self-managing before she flagged; Charlotte requested management so she could surrender to the red mist).  I think that a half-hour rigid strategy would have seen Kat slow down to a fast cruise, and Charlotte start to make fatigue errors.  They made smart calls before we started, and we stayed adaptable to exploit the situation.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #158 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:27:48 am »
If I could suggest a penny race as part of the warmup to the York city centre crits next year, who would I tell the organisers to contact?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #159 on: 09 September, 2010, 08:12:37 am »
I think that's basically the key to it, Andy.  I think the luck thing was related to the traffic-jamming fixie skillz.  Both riders were looking waaay ahead and anticipating well, planning the moves.  Most of the other teams were concentrating on getting round the course.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #160 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:50:59 pm »
Aye, developing those skills, riding tested wheels (tied and soldered for the hard-racing win), practicing the tx and discovering the iffy transponder clips = making your own luck. 

More coverage!  Official photos with the right people grinning! The Knutsford Great Race (okay, it's the little gong, but #57 is a lovely one)

And the Grauniad Bike Blog!  Penny farthings and bone shakers compete in Knutsford's Great Race | Environment | guardian.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #161 on: 09 September, 2010, 12:59:26 pm »
Photo 760 works well for me.  I guess it is the point at which C is explaining the lapcount.
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #162 on: 10 September, 2010, 02:53:24 pm »
Moar!

Treehugger: http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/09/penny-farthing-race.php  (comment-bait with that line about podium girls, if you ask me)

...and surely the apex of media coverage for any endeavour: BBC's Odd Box! BBC - Newsbeat - Newsbeat's Odd Box

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #163 on: 10 September, 2010, 04:17:15 pm »
Charlotte and Kat made the CTC Cycle Clips news letter.

At least they got your finishing position right.

« Reply #164 on: 12 September, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »
Wow!!!!!

what a day out.

Firstly, thanks to whoever first posted something on YACF about the great race something like a year and a half ago (probably charlotte), I jumped in feet first and got a team entry inthe same day...........then tried to figure out where to get a penny from and who to talk into learning to ride it!

Boy am I glad I did, that has to be the best, best, best race I have ever taken part in. Top quality organisation, great atmosphere, huge support and best of all a great bunch of riders who really entered the spirit of the event. Unforgettable. Thanks all.
Despite the fact that we killed both of our bikes, lost our transponder, popped a tyre off and dumped a rider over the bars, we finished smiling.

Do we really have to wait 10 years for some more of that?

PS. well done Charlotte and Kat, top riding. Chapeau

Richard

« Reply #165 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »
For info, the race website http://www.theknutsfordgreatrace.co.uk now shows the official corrected results.

Another opportunity to say well done to all who took part  :thumbsup:
"Only the cyclist knows why the dog rides with its head out the window"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #166 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:11:09 pm »
Splendid!
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #167 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:21:29 pm »
Fabulous, hearty congratulations to the winning team and their willing Igors.  Good to see the results confirmed properly now.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #168 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:27:42 pm »
Aye, it is that.  Stand by for photos depicting trophy-toting, champers-spraying and general jubilation  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #169 on: 22 September, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »
The champeen speaks! :D :thumbsup:
Getting there...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #171 on: 23 September, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »
For info, the race website http://www.theknutsfordgreatrace.co.uk now shows the official corrected results.

They still don't know the difference between 'were' and 'where' though.  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #172 on: 23 September, 2010, 02:48:23 pm »
They still don't know the difference between 'were' and 'where' though.  :facepalm:

Manchester accent, innit :)

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #173 on: 24 September, 2010, 09:12:04 pm »
Fabulous, hearty congratulations to the winning team and their willing Igors.  Good to see the results confirmed properly now.

Having finally recovered my jaw from the hole in the floorboards under the desk where it fell a couple of weeks ago, can I second that ?

Bonkers; brilliant!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #174 on: 26 September, 2010, 06:32:47 pm »
Knutsford and pennies on  Countryfile BBC1 right now.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes