Author Topic: Olympics spoilers  (Read 20365 times)

Re: Olympics spoilers
« Reply #100 on: 19 August, 2008, 01:59:46 pm »
I hadn't realised how physically big Hoy is! He was half a head taller and about half as wide again as Kenny and he's no dwarf either!!!

« Reply #101 on: 19 August, 2008, 02:02:50 pm »
Watching the mens' high-jump. Whats with all the plastic strapping Germaine Mason is sporting?
Working my way up to inferior.

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #102 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:20:45 pm »
Blimey! We just got gold in the women's 400m as well!

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #103 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »

And silver in the high jump - very unexpected.

So that is 16 gold, with Shanaze still to deliver, and another realistic chance of gold (Phillips Idowu)

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #104 on: 19 August, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
It's a 50k. Does that mean it could count as an audax? :P

No, because the teams cover 50km but the individual riders do not as they are continually being lapped by their team mates.
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #105 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »

Well, there's this year's SPOTY then  :-\.

« Reply #106 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:31:31 pm »
From: BBC SPORT | Olympics | Live action | Olympics day 11 as it happened

1608: Scotland's Commonwealth Games velodrome in Glasgow is to be named after triple Olympic cycling gold-medallist Chris Hoy, which is lovely.

Bigger story: BBC NEWS | Scotland | Velodrome honour for golden Hoy
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

LEE

« Reply #107 on: 19 August, 2008, 04:59:11 pm »
Makes you wonder where GB would finish if Mr & Mrs Phelps hadn't taught their lad to swim

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #108 on: 19 August, 2008, 05:02:02 pm »

1608: Scotland's Commonwealth Games velodrome in Glasgow is to be named after triple Olympic cycling gold-medallist Chris Hoy, which is lovely.

Stolen a march on Edinburgh Council, who are planning to demolish Meadowbank velodrome where Hoy cut his teeth, replacing the whole stadium complex with a 'scaled-down' venue with, erm, no velodrome at all.

Bit of a local bone of contention, with an excuse that generally runs along the lines of 'but there will be one built in Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games'. David Martin linked a great video yesterday from the Save Meadowbank campaign, fronted by Chris Hoy, where it was stated that cycling is the second highest-medal grossing Olympic sport for the UK, with swimming the highest. And asking how swimmers would feel if there was one swimming pool in the country at which they could train...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #109 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:01:41 pm »

Stolen a march on Edinburgh Council, who are planning to demolish Meadowbank velodrome where Hoy cut his teeth, replacing the whole stadium complex with a 'scaled-down' venue with, erm, no velodrome at all.

Bit of a local bone of contention, with an excuse that generally runs along the lines of 'but there will be one built in Glasgow for the Commonwealth Games'. David Martin linked a great video yesterday from the Save Meadowbank campaign, fronted by Chris Hoy, where it was stated that cycling is the second highest-medal grossing Olympic sport for the UK, with swimming the highest. And asking how swimmers would feel if there was one swimming pool in the country at which they could train...

It is strange how they won't come down to meadowbank on a saturday morning to explain to the Edinburgh Racers and their parents just what they have in store...

Heck, a track like Caird Park (400m tarmac) would be an ideal replacement as it is far more accessible for youth than Meadowbank (which is pretty intimidating for a novice), would fit nicely around a footie pitch and be relatively low maintenance. 

What would be great is to arrange an open meet at Meadowbank to welcome back the British track team, and for Chris to bring all the big names along.  I'd concede that a full on 250m velodrome is not what is needed with such a good venue in Glasgow, but a track of some sort *is* needed. And soon.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #110 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:03:32 pm »
A homecoming celebration is already being planned in my home town of Colne for bronze medal winner Steven Burke.  :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #111 on: 19 August, 2008, 08:15:11 pm »
I'll be at the celebration ball in London :) Is Pendleton or Houvenagel single? I better buy a new suite.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #112 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »
The BBC commentary is risible.

"Pendleton coasts down the finishing straight to victory"

Maybe her chain fell off.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #113 on: 19 August, 2008, 10:43:05 pm »
I'll be at the celebration ball in London :) Is Pendleton or Houvenagel single? I better buy a new suite.

With a 3 seat sofa so you can have one either side of you?

;)

« Reply #114 on: 19 August, 2008, 11:55:25 pm »
The BBC commentary is risible.

"Pendleton coasts down the finishing straight to victory"

Maybe her chain fell off.

As I'm sure you are aware, it is possible to coast on a fixed, it's just your feet keep getting pulled round in circles but you're not putting any power in.

Usain Bolt "coasted" the final 20m of the 100m despite still needing to keep his legs moving underneath him.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #115 on: 20 August, 2008, 09:26:21 am »

Well, there's this year's SPOTY then  :-\.

(I know what you're saying )

Actually I very much doubt it. I have no figures, but I suspect the BBC gave less coverage to "Our 400m medal prospect" than any of our other serious contenders.

Can't think why ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #116 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:10:43 am »
Can't think why ...

Something to do with her enforced sabbatical, perhaps? Call me a cynic, but I don't trust her. (Perversely, I do trust Usain Bolt, despite the almost superhuman nature of his achievements.)

Tbh, I can't see beyond Rebecca Adlington for SPOTY - young, fresh-faced, blonde and English as opposed to tree-trunk-thighed, over-30 and Scottish. But SPOTY is a nonsense anyway, so who cares?

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #117 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:13:12 am »
Can't think why ...

Tbh, I can't see beyond Rebecca Adlington for SPOTY - young, fresh-faced, blonde and English as opposed to tree-trunk-thighed, over-30 and Scottish. But SPOTY is a nonsense anyway, so who cares?

She's got quite an irritating voice though.

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #118 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:14:48 am »
The 400m runner would probably not be a PC vote though. Adlington has her chances.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #119 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:26:06 am »
Can't think why ...

Something to do with her enforced sabbatical, perhaps? Call me a cynic, but I don't trust her. (Perversely, I do trust Usain Bolt, despite the almost superhuman nature of his achievements.)

Yup, I'd put money on Adlington. But Hoy must be a good evens bet.
I sort of care about SPOTY as it guarantees some extra positive exposure for a sport. But I don't care much!

[If we're talking SPOTY, we have to bear in mind that the other Lewis might win his world championship later in the year. And what sport have the BBC just bought off ITV ?]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #120 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:51:13 am »
Can't think why ...

And a big nose...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #121 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:00:15 am »
Can't think why ...

And a big nose...

It's aqualine.

LEE

« Reply #122 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:06:39 am »
A homecoming celebration is already being planned in my home town of Colne for bronze medal winner Steven Burke.  :thumbsup:

To be fair though, crowds form in Colne to watch the changing of the Traffic Light.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #123 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:13:31 am »
Our little Shindog looks good in the BMX seeding round, doesn't she?  (apart from falling off, that is :) )
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #124 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:24:20 am »
Our little Shindog looks good in the BMX seeding round, doesn't she?  (apart from falling off, that is :) )

She does:) Only caught a quick glimpse of the BMX TV coverage this morning, were they doing timed runs with the quickest 16 into the semis then?