Author Topic: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported  (Read 14875 times)

Re: ESCA 24hr TT - 21st June 2014 - semi-unsupported
« Reply #25 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:27:01 pm »
Tabitha Rendell has shown real improvement over recent years, so she's one to watch. Interesting that Ultan Coyle isn't down as Rapha Condor.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #26 on: 30 May, 2014, 11:49:32 pm »
Yeah, weird.  He's meant to be riding for Feather Cycles, maybe they haven't got their affiliation through yet or something.

Jes

« Reply #27 on: 31 May, 2014, 09:25:04 am »

No Lynne Taylor either.

Lynne is there under her married name. Biddulph.
I'm there too under my maiden name of Moore.
On three wheels.

Women's event will be exciting with a few contenders. Marina is there too.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #28 on: 31 May, 2014, 09:29:06 am »
The entry list is up on TTF.

Marcus, it looks like your name's confused them so you might want to get in touch.

Thanks. I will let them know - double barrelled surnames confuse everyone.

Or maybe I don't have to ride now?

3 weeks away. Gosh. Better start training.

No, things are going fine. I probably don't have the miles in that I want, but do you ever.  However, I am riding generally faster than ever before (based on local regular trips). So if I can keep a bit of that speed and manage the pace, then it will be okay.

My support plans fell apart slightly, so I am riding with a saddlebag now (small one), but have a kind offer from assassin to keep some stuff in his support vehicle, so I should be able to stash my night clothing, lights and extra food with him.

Running the faster rubber now, makes quite a difference.

(Don't laugh now) - I have managed a 300km in my speed suit (not a full skin suit due to toilet needs etc., but a castelli speed suit) without too many issues (the saddle forward, on aero bars position is still causing a few minor issues, but I do not think they will be a show stopper.  When there is glory to be achieved, what does a chafed testicle matter anyway?).  I should possibly buy some cheap Lycra shoe covers as well - if the aero stuff you read is true anyway. I do believe the suit makes a reasonable difference based on laps of Richmond park, it is consistently quicker than regular shorts and jersey and the powertap data does back it up.

Nutrition, I have ridden longer rides using carb replacement drinks now, without issues. So I hope I have it reasonably sorted - other than some reliance on the drinks,I won't change much from my typical audax fare.

I will go and ride the circuits next weekend - been meaning to do this for a wee while now, time is running out.

All in all, I am looking forward to it. I won't win, but I hope to put on a good show.

I had always thought this was a one-shot deal - I can now see that it needs at least two goes at it. I am sure I will screw up a lot this time and know how to get another xx miles and feel compelled to ride it again.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #29 on: 31 May, 2014, 10:31:47 am »

No Lynne Taylor either.

Lynne is there under her married name. Biddulph.
I'm there too under my maiden name of Moore.
On three wheels.

Women's event will be exciting with a few contenders. Marina is there too.

Aaah, it all makes sense now.  You're right, it sounds like an exciting event.  Good luck!

« Reply #30 on: 31 May, 2014, 10:32:05 am »
Yeah, weird.  He's meant to be riding for Feather Cycles, maybe they haven't got their affiliation through yet or something.

I see. A boutique steel bike brand, built by hipsters in woollen sweaters rather than by your grandad in a brown warehouse coat.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #31 on: 02 June, 2014, 12:10:25 pm »
More novice questions:

I can't see anything in the regs about lighting - obviously I have to have some for the night sections.  Do I need backup lights on the bike or anything?  Or is a single front light and rear light acceptable?

Any other regs that might catch a first timer out? 
Right! What's next?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #32 on: 02 June, 2014, 01:34:29 pm »
You'll need at least 2 sets of lights. Anything that lasts all night simply ain't bright enough, dude.

An extra set for flashing only would be good- 10W or so will do for those.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #33 on: 02 June, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »
Regulation or recommendation?

Rear - same light as I use on every night ride - cateye something or other - flashing lasts 30+ hours, even on solid mode it'll last the night provided I remember to put fresh batteries in it.

Front - Hope Vision 1 - burn time of 7 hours on medium (plenty bright enough for riding on good surfaces), or 3 hours on high.  Either way, I'd have a spare set of batteries anyway.  I could consider putting a small blinky somewhere on the front.
Right! What's next?

rob

« Reply #34 on: 02 June, 2014, 02:21:44 pm »
There's some reg about pedal reflectors which caused some issues on the KCA 12hr last year.   They gave out reflective ankle bands at the start to get round it.    Might be worth having a pair of those with you, which reminds me I need to find mine.

I'll have 2 lights front and rear, but that's just our of choice and laziness.

There's a stretch of the night circuit which will be very dark so I'd make sure you have something pretty bright.

I'm thinking of swapping my TT saddle back for a B17 from the audax bike.   Pretty sore after 4.5hrs on it yesterday.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 02 June, 2014, 06:46:47 pm »
Serious answer:
I've neer seen or heard of any checks at the M24. But the general regs require you to obey the laws.

Other issues:
Race numbers. You get 2, for back and upper arm. Plus a pair to attach to nightwear. So consider which layers/garments to attach these to.
Also check the rules about sponsors names on display.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #36 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:47:15 pm »
Last year I used a pair of Ayup lights on the front plus two small flashing LEDs for dusk/dawn. Cateye on the back set to steady and again two small flashers, one on the seat stay and one on the helmet. Given good conditions you only need lights to see with for 5\6 hours max. Ankle band reflectors wew sufficient, I had no pedal reflectors.

« Reply #37 on: 04 June, 2014, 08:30:33 am »
I should possibly buy some cheap Lycra shoe covers as well - if the aero stuff you read is true anyway.
I had always thought this was a one-shot deal - I can now see that it needs at least two goes at it. I am sure I will screw up a lot this time and know how to get another xx miles and feel compelled to ride it again.

Don't get the covers!  Hot foot is a common problem on 12s and 24s.  You need to be able to loosen off your shoes to give them space to expand.

Agree with your second point: there's quite a lot to riding a 24, hence a bit of a learning curve, so it would be very lucky to get it all right first time. 

rob

« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:31:14 pm »
Start sheet is out.

http://www.esca24hour.org.uk/documents/2014National24HourStartSheetConsecutive.pdf

A few AUKs and forumites on there.

I teeter between trepidation and looking forward to the experience.....

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #39 on: 13 June, 2014, 12:59:32 pm »
Cool - thanks Rob. 
Right! What's next?

« Reply #40 on: 13 June, 2014, 07:03:17 pm »
Cheers Rob.  I'm off at 12:56, somewhere toward the back end then.  Reckon I'll be finished by about 1 o'clock on the Sunday then ;)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #41 on: 14 June, 2014, 12:17:38 am »
Interesting, unexpected info from the startsheet:

Toby's off a minute behind Ishmael.
Jilko now rides for Chester RC rather than PSW.

« Reply #42 on: 17 June, 2014, 06:48:18 pm »
Serious answer:
I've neer seen or heard of any checks at the M24. But the general regs require you to obey the laws.

They did have one year around a decade ago, where CTT officials were trying to stop the 24 hour and were a bit heavy handed about rear reflectors and sent people to watch the race. The Mersey Roads tipped everyone off before the event and everyone used rear reflectors.
Other than that, it's pretty much left alone. I've ridden several with just a front brake and no lockring on my fixer, allegedly. ;)

They seem to be making a bit of a song and dance about rear reflectors and pedal reflectors on the startsheet and handbook. There has been mention of CTT officials turning up to watch the race.
I think I'll take this as the time to buy those SPD/flat pedals (for non cycling shoes) for my hybrid which will have pedal reflectors on that I've been very tempted to buy if I can find the time to get to the bike shop...
In the meantime, I might have a poke around to see if I can find out how big a deal it really is.

Looks like the unsupported riders have been given some consideration. :) :thumbsup:

« Reply #43 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:15:51 pm »
The CTT will be providing reflective ankle bands to be made available to all competitors at 24 hour (and early starting 12-hour) time trials.  I believe it is up to the rider whether they wear them. 

Essentially someone flagged the pedal reflector law on the TT forum last year, there was a bit of a flap about it, and this was proposed as a solution.

This is from Paul Thomson who is on the CTT national committee:
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85407&#entry1192023

Edit: found it: it was someone who thought it was a bit harsh that someone else had been disqualified for having one brake in the national hill climb (watch out TG!).  There's plenty to read if you like...
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81185&#entry1131380

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #44 on: 17 June, 2014, 08:35:57 pm »
I wear ankle bands at night anyway - so no big deal.  I have done some modifications on mine to make them more aero.  ;)

It's good to see that there appears to be good provision for unsupported riders - that's a big logistical weight off my mind as I know when and where I will be able to access my food and extra clothing etc.  Assassin has also kindly offered to help me out as well - so I will have some food with him as well. 

My only issue is a slight sore throat since yesterday - it feels somewhat better today, so fingers crossed it isn't going to turn into anything.

Other than that, very much looking forward to it all now.  I've still no idea if I can do what I want to do, but it'll be fun finding out. 

Right! What's next?

rob

« Reply #45 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:06:50 pm »
Bike is sorted. Support team arranged and briefed. Food purchased. Conditions look favourable.

Non zero possibility of a last minute DNS, due to circumstances outside of my control. This project has taken up a big chunk of my life so I hope I get there.

« Reply #46 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:33:39 pm »
The CTT will be providing reflective ankle bands to be made available to all competitors at 24 hour (and early starting 12-hour) time trials.  I believe it is up to the rider whether they wear them. 

Essentially someone flagged the pedal reflector law on the TT forum last year, there was a bit of a flap about it, and this was proposed as a solution.

This is from Paul Thomson who is on the CTT national committee:
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=85407&#entry1192023

Cheers.
So the bottom line is wear some ankle straps and CTT insurers and legal bods will be happy.
I'll try and find my own incase they give out those snap around ones that cut into ankles.

Edit: found it: it was someone who thought it was a bit harsh that someone else had been disqualified for having one brake in the national hill climb (watch out TG!).  There's plenty to read if you like...
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=81185&#entry1131380

I'd call it taking the bloody piss DQing someone for not breaking any rules, unless there was a specific rule for that event.
Though I'll be riding an 8 speed with a triple chainset in the 24.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #47 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:35:16 pm »
It was a geared bike with a freewheel that had one brake.  The guy was bang to rights.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 17 June, 2014, 10:52:29 pm »
Did it actually matter whether it had 1 or 2 brakes in actuality? No difference in safety, given the circumstances.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #49 on: 18 June, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »
Did it actually matter whether it had 1 or 2 brakes in actuality? No difference in safety, given the circumstances.
Well,sort of ..

The rider knowingly broke the rules (and the law) in a way that gave him a tangible advantage. Fair cop.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------